Mobil 1 high milage 10w-30 has changed

Couple months ago I had been very interested in Mobil1 Hi milage in 10w-30, it being one of the few 30 weight oils that are ACEA A3 rated (and both my vehicles are clearly high milage)
But when I looked at the shelf at walmart and checked the back of the M1 10w-30 Hi Mi jugs low and behold the ACEA A3 had disappeared replaced by GF6.
I wont belabor what GF6 means, plenty of posts cover this already.

So I went with Mobil1 0w-40 which while ACEA A3 (=good) also sadly meets BMW LL which I believe is too much mineral based TBN fortifiers which at my OCIs I will never need and which are sure to displace something else in the formulation.

So I wonder if any "old" M1 in 10w-30 Hi Milage can still be bought anywhere?
Otherwise I have a slightly older bottle of Castrol Edge here in 0w-40 and it meets ACEA A3 but not BMW LL , so maybe I will go with that next time.

I guess the new PDFs kicked in. Well, A3/B3 used to be listed on the Mobil website for oils a month ago but now that's gone too. The back of the jugs haven't listed A3/B3 for awhile now though, at least not for M1 HM 10W40. I think those oils still 'meet' A3/B3, but A3/B3 got removed by ACEA and now they'd recommend A3/B4 for those applications that had A3/B3 requirements.

To reflect the evolving engine technology, two low-end categories of lubricant classification are going away completely:
  • A3/B3 in the high Sulfated Ash, Phosphorus, and Sulfur (SAPS)
  • C1 in the low SAPS lubricants
In addition to removing two categories, two new categories are being added to the classification roster:
  • High SAPS lubricants will see the addition of category A7/B7
  • Low SAPS lubricants will see the addition of category C6

M1 HM 10W30 (and HM 10W40) never met A3/B4 to begin with. ACEA is just recommending those applications that call for A3/B3, now removed/obsoleted, to use A3/B4 from now on. So, M1 Euro which you used.

(I remembered wrong) the previous PDF had M1 HM 10W30 and 10W40 listed SP as well as A3/B3, but not GF-6A. They removed the A3/B3 with this latest PDF change, but removed the A3/B3 from the container label at least months ago.

I tried Google but I can't find the previous PDF that got replaced by the new one.

Last edited:
Super s multi flo 10w40 is acea a3/b3 certified. You can’t get much cheaper than that.

0w40 has not been bmw ll01 for the longest time

if you want an 8 TBN oil instead of a 10+ TBN oil you buy one of the many ACEA C3 offerings on the market.

Back