Mobil 1 grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 4x4 toyota tundra and im looking fo a good grease for the u joints(about 6 zerks) would Mobil 1 be a good choice? ive heard mobil 1 likes to start to run and thats not somthing i want.

Like alot of greases and Mobil 1 seems to be no exception, oil seperation is a problem. When searching for a good grease look at the specifications and look for a ASTM D-1742 (oil seperation) rating. A good grease will have a rating of 0.00% to 1%.

Go ahead with the Mobil 1 grease, if that's your choice. it's good stuff. Yes, it will bleed in a grease gun. But, if you will pull out and lock the plunger on the gun when you're finished, it will 99% eliminate the problem. Virtually any grease will bleed when under pressure in a gun...some more than others.

I think that a bit of bleeeding is a good thing. In some applications once the grease is displaced during use there doesn't seem to be a way to redistribute it, so one can end up with a 'dry assembly' where the grease gets pushed to one area, it dries up, and the rest of the assembly tries to operate with a thinning coat of grease that gets contaminated with wear particles. If the grease bleeds a bit at least that washes the area with fresh 'grease blood' (is that new term ?), perhaps enabling some grease to redistribute.

The seperation of Mobil grease is slight,all greases tend to do this,the reversability of this grease is well ok ,there is better choices in greases,for lithium complex greases Mystik SX-6 is a proven winner and their JT-high temp also a choice,Lubriplate has also some great calcium sulfate synt, greases,though harder to find,Amsoil is a contender in synt greases (Multi purpose),check around.BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back