Mobil 1 FS 0w40 vs 5w40 vs 5w50 vs 15w50 in a modified LT4 in warmer climate??

Solid points guys. I don’t mind learning something new. I’ve always questioned the 160* thermostat idea. It does seem to help with the fans kicking on at a lower temp as well. Even thought the stat opens at 160*, unless it’s 50* out or below while driving, temp still get to the normal range. I always let oil get to 160* plus and it averages 180ish anyway. Idk if I’m doing more harm than good or not. I do know too hot pulls timing so I’m sure that’s the logic behind the 160*. The car can take a little more abuse with back to back pulls before temps climb. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Idk if I’m doing more harm than good or not. I do know too hot pulls timing so I’m sure that’s the logic behind the 160*. The car can take a little more abuse with back to back pulls before temps climb. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Being that you're supercharged, good crankcase evacuation is important.
You're gonna have more blow-by and you wanna draw those gasses out before they can condense and mix with the oil.

NASCAR runs their engines around 260F. They sacrifice some HP for improved aerodynamics (small grill opening) and a couple extra mph.

Drag racers can run as cool as they want. Or have no radiator at all. They're only going 1/4 mile.

Endurance racers (i.e. 24hrs of daytona) run a more normal 200-230F range. They actually want their car to finish the race without engine failure.

Being that you're supercharged, good crankcase evacuation is important.
You're gonna have more blow-by and you wanna draw those gasses out before they can condense and mix with the oil.

NASCAR runs their engines around 260F. They sacrifice some HP for improved aerodynamics (small grill opening) and a couple extra mph.

Drag racers can run as cool as they want. Or have no radiator at all. They're only going 1/4 mile.

Endurance racers (i.e. 24hrs of daytona) run a more normal 200-230F range. They actually want their car to finish the race without engine failure.
The car has the might mouse wild catch can setup on it. The vent lines are huge. No issue there.

Any of those oils will be great.

And the recommendation for Mobil 1 0W40 FS is a great one as well. It's factory fill in Porsche cup cars.

If it's a massively modified track car you could even use mobile one 5W50 which is what is specced for the new Z06 and for some track prep

Old c8 prep guide

Screenshot_20230228_191459_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Any of those oils will be great.

And the recommendation for Mobil 1 0W40 FS is a great one as well. It's factory fill in Porsche cup cars.

If it's a massively modified track car you could even use mobile one 5W50 which is what is specced for the new Z06 and for some track prep

Old c8 prep guide

View attachment 142627
I appreciate the response. I agree the 0w40 Mobil 1 would be great in the car. It’s not crazy built or anything. Stock bottom end car but it does have heads/cam/Whipple, full bolt ons, etc and makes over 900rw.

I appreciate the response. I agree the 0w40 Mobil 1 would be great in the car. It’s not crazy built or anything. Stock bottom end car but it does have heads/cam/Whipple, full bolt ons, etc and makes over 900rw.

That sounds like a fantastic build and I think you're on the right track with any of those oils.

With that kind of money into the car I think reducing the intervals is going to be a bigger deal than exactly what manufacturer of oil. You may even find it interesting and or fun to send each batch out for analysis to make sure nothing is funky.

I always try and put myself in another person's shoes and I have had an LS car with a TVS supercharger on it and I'd probably run Mobil 1 5w50 or if you wanted to get all snooty you could do a Ravenol or a 300v in similar viscosity not that it would likely do anything more for you.

For what it's worth the new motull 300v formulations all have the latest specifications to also reduce soot and can pass the latest chainwear specs and all that good jazz.

That sounds like a fantastic build and I think you're on the right track with any of those oils.

With that kind of money into the car I think reducing the intervals is going to be a bigger deal than exactly what manufacturer of oil. You may even find it interesting and or fun to send each batch out for analysis to make sure nothing is funky.

I always try and put myself in another person's shoes and I have had an LS car with a TVS supercharger on it and I'd probably run Mobil 1 5w50 or if you wanted to get all snooty you could do a Ravenol or a 300v in similar viscosity not that it would likely do anything more for you.

For what it's worth the new motull 300v formulations all have the latest specifications to also reduce soot and can pass the latest chainwear specs and all that good jazz.
I appreciate it bud!

Yeah, I keep intervals to 1500-2k miles with running E85 and not driving it much. Time wise, it’s due by then anyway.

Nice! I had a G8 with a 416/TVS2300 setup in it awhile ago. That’s a solid setup as well!

I’m liking that 5w50 idea now that I just took a look at it. Basically a step up from the 0w40 which I figure would protect a little better and here in Houston, we see mostly warmer temps and never below freezing. Well… maybe for a day or 2 but the car stays in the garage and doesn’t get driven in that weather anyway. Lol

I notice there’s a Euro 5w50 and another 5w50 with red numbers which I assume is just standard non-euro. Which would be the better between the two? Assuming the euro since that’s the 0w40 people like best. I’d imagine it’s the same as the 0w40… just a level up viscosity wise.

I appreciate it bud!

Yeah, I keep intervals to 1500-2k miles with running E85 and not driving it much. Time wise, it’s due by then anyway.

Nice! I had a G8 with a 416/TVS2300 setup in it awhile ago. That’s a solid setup as well!

I’m liking that 5w50 idea now that I just took a look at it. Basically a step up from the 0w40 which I figure would protect a little better and here in Houston, we see mostly warmer temps and never below freezing. Well… maybe for a day or 2 but the car stays in the garage and doesn’t get driven in that weather anyway. Lol

I notice there’s a Euro 5w50 and another 5w50 with red numbers which I assume is just standard non-euro. Which would be the better between the two? Assuming the euro since that’s the 0w40 people like best. I’d imagine it’s the same as the 0w40… just a level up viscosity wise.

I'd personally do the 5W50FSX2.

It is rumored to be the new Z06 supercar oil.

Enjoy it brother

My last Chevy.... I used to say it stayed up late at night while I was sleeping thinking of ways to kill me.

20160726_205653.jpg

Current...

20221212_170151.jpg

I'd personally do the 5W50FSX2.

It is rumored to be the new Z06 supercar oil.

Enjoy it brother

My last Chevy.... I used to say it stayed up late at night while I was sleeping thinking of ways to kill me.

View attachment 142629

Current...

View attachment 142630
Nice toys man! 😍

Alright… the Mobil 1 5w50 FS X2 is the ticket! I’m about to order some. Just to verify… it seems there are 2 options for the 5w50. The X2 and then the euro option. One of the sites I saw said they’re the same oil but it doesn’t appear the X2 is on the label on the euro bottles I’m seeing online. I’m wondering if they’re different afterall?

Nice toys man! 😍

Alright… the Mobil 1 5w50 FS X2 is the ticket! I’m about to order some. Just to verify… it seems there are 2 options for the 5w50. The X2 and then the euro option. One of the sites I saw said they’re the same oil but it doesn’t appear the X2 is on the label on the euro bottles I’m seeing online. I’m wondering if they’re different afterall?

They advertise the wrong picture all the time. X2 is part number 122075

Awesome! Part number was right. Just the pic was wrong. I placed the order for 16 quarts just now for pick up at the local NAPA tomorrow. They were on sale for 6.99 each. Not sure if it ends at the end of tonight being the end of the month or what but I’m tempted to order more. Lol

Thanks again man! 🍻

Low volatility is a concern with the direct injection and forced air. The new Dexos R Mobil 1 X2 looks right in 5w-50. I use 15w-50 on the track and will leave it in during warmer months (car not a daily driver). Someone posted good UOA with same pattern. Track oil temps are consistently ~270F. No oil consumption and around 8k track miles. May switch to the X2 as I see a little varnishing on the dip stick.

Low volatility is a concern with the direct injection and forced air. The new Dexos R Mobil 1 X2 looks right in 5w-50. I use 15w-50 on the track and will leave it in during warmer months (car not a daily driver). Someone posted good UOA with same pattern. Track oil temps are consistently ~270F. No oil consumption and around 8k track miles. May switch to the X2 as I see a little varnishing on the dip stick.
I was between the 5w50 and the 15w50 but I went ahead and scooped up a bunch of 5w50 since I plan to leave it in all year. Car isn’t a daily either and I’m in Houston, TX so we don’t see cold temps often but we do see them every now and then for short bursts. Figured the 5w50 was a solid solution!

Attachments

• DAB0A5BE-CBE0-45F9-ACDF-4FAC7A5FAF6F.jpeg
    DAB0A5BE-CBE0-45F9-ACDF-4FAC7A5FAF6F.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 78404BD7-FD52-4E9B-A491-DD38AE252518.jpeg
    78404BD7-FD52-4E9B-A491-DD38AE252518.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 41
What are the start up temps, that will give you the needed info form what x w needed.
Less viscosity spread all things equal will give a thicker between the parts oil film / wedge

I’m not sure. I was just told this was the one to go with. If there’s a Euro 5w50… I’m sure it’s good as well. I didn’t know they made Euro 5w50. 🤷🏻‍♂️
The oil you ordered is the European formula. They’re not the same oil. Euro has a higher TBN and a lower V@100c. Supercar has a lower pour point. And the data Mobil provides for each is very different.

Attachments

• BBC84E1D-29A9-41B7-9789-40619E9BC731.jpeg
    BBC84E1D-29A9-41B7-9789-40619E9BC731.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 984D9A42-998A-4505-9DDD-28112CCE8FF1.jpeg
    984D9A42-998A-4505-9DDD-28112CCE8FF1.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 33
  • 6862A27B-45C1-45E4-B45C-E1C17B23C2C6.jpeg
    6862A27B-45C1-45E4-B45C-E1C17B23C2C6.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 34
What are the start up temps, that will give you the needed info form what x w needed.
Less viscosity spread all things equal will give a thicker between the parts oil film / wedge
I’m in Houston, TX so in most cases, we see warmer temps. In the winter, it dips down to freezing or close at times but usually not for too long. The car isn’t daily driven. 0w40 is the recommended fill so I figure the 5w50 is a bump from that for a little added protection.

The oil you ordered is the European formula. They’re not the same oil. Euro has a higher TBN and a lower V@100c. Supercar has a lower pour point. And the data Mobil provides for each is very different.
Ok. I was just told the FS X2 was supposed to be the revised version of the Supercar unless I misunderstood. I haven’t changed the oil yet. I’ve been so busy with work, I haven’t driven the cars and it’s just been in the box in the garage. I can exchange it if need be.

Ok. I was just told the FS X2 was supposed to be the revised version of the Supercar unless I misunderstood. I haven’t changed the oil yet. I’ve been so busy with work, I haven’t driven the cars and it’s just been in the box in the garage. I can exchange it if need be.
They’re definitely different oils - I’ve sent a msg to Mobil asking for info and I also created a thread about them here to see if somone at BITOG already knows what the different intended applications are. Both seem good.

I’m in the reverse situation as you, I have a box of Supercar 5w50 that I paid $13 per quart for - so if nothing else, FS X2 is a better price!

Attachments

• 29B48F1D-9128-4A92-85A4-58FFB0BCE0DB.jpeg
    29B48F1D-9128-4A92-85A4-58FFB0BCE0DB.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 6F85464E-2954-4B78-8E64-5F52983B2BB9.jpeg
    6F85464E-2954-4B78-8E64-5F52983B2BB9.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 26
Back