Mobil 1 filter with magnets cut open

Mobil 1 filter on a 2014 Fusion with a 2.5. About 6,000 miles on Syn oil. Double Filter Mags on filter

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_120750_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20221229_120750_copy_600x800.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_20221229_120759_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20221229_120759_copy_600x800.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20221229_120606_copy_1736x2312.jpg
    IMG_20221229_120606_copy_1736x2312.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20221229_120558_copy_1736x2312.jpg
    IMG_20221229_120558_copy_1736x2312.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20221229_120513_copy_1736x2312.jpg
    IMG_20221229_120513_copy_1736x2312.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 303
Thanks for sharing. I would have expected to see a lot more ferrous material on the inside of the filter wall. This is surprising to me. I guess that is a good thing, in a way.

Do you have a magnetic drain plug also?

This engine is obviously not shedding too much metal. It's a nice metric to use and another data point for assess your engine's health. Thanks for the pictures.

I didn’t know the Mobile One filter contained magnets; learn something new every day! 👍

Last edited:
My only question is whether the filter would have caught those particles anyway. Since they are on the outside, where filtering actually begins.
Oil pan magnets kinda make more sense to me, since once iron particles settle there, it's not entirely likely that they will be picked back up and filtered later.

Thanks for sharing. I would have expected to see a lot more ferrous material on the inside of the filter wall. This is surprising to me. I guess that is a good thing, in a way.

Do you have a magnetic drain plug also?
No drain magnet. 2014 Car only has 45,000 miles on it.

My only question is whether the filter would have caught those particles anyway. Since they are on the outside, where filtering actually begins.
Oil pan magnets kinda make more sense to me, since once iron particles settle there, it's not entirely likely that they will be picked back up and filtered later.
I guess that would depend on particle size.

Yep. It would be more interesting if we could separate out the bits that are smaller than 25 microns or whatever the absolute minimum size the media is rated to.

My original intent was to run 1 magnet on each car. However the set up on my Avalon doesn't allow the magnet.

One should not expect to see a lot of iron particles coming out of motor oil. There's very little steel-on-steel contact in an engine.

Motorhomes, boats and air cooled gensets being an exception,
Yep. It would be more interesting if we could separate out the bits that are smaller than 25 microns or whatever the absolute minimum size the media is rated to.
The magnet does that very well.

One should not expect to see a lot of iron particles coming out of motor oil. There's very little steel-on-steel contact in an engine.
I agree. However I can think of a few steel parts. Camshafts, crankshafts, rings, cam followers, roller bearings, and timing chains. Prob more.

I agree. However I can think of a few steel parts. Camshafts, crankshafts, rings, cam followers, roller bearings, and timing chains. Prob more.
lifters, oil pumps, sprockets....The DI pump exerts nearly diesel level pressure on the cam

My original intent was to run 1 magnet on each car. However the set up on my Avalon doesn't allow the magnet.
I use "Gold Plug" drain plug magnets. Might be worth it to you for the Avalon if you care too. The "Gold Plug magnet is so strong its almsot retarded, if your oil pan is steel sometimes you have to hold it firmly or it will attach to the oil pain as you try to put it back in.
I kind of believe in the magnets (either type) hey, it's a way to take iron or any metallic metal out of the oil so why not?

Its well known oil filters only are efficient down to a certain micron and even then it's a matter of who catches the particles first. Dont forget during start up and acceleration most oil isnt being filtered, its going through the bypass valve. Even if these particles are too small to do damage, in a forum where we all look to do as much as we can for our engines its certainly a cost effective, reusable way to do it.

Dont forget during start up and acceleration most oil isnt being filtered, its going through the bypass valve.
Once the oil is fully warmed up, the chances of the oil filter hitting bypass is very rare. Maybe if the filter is very clogged it might, but in that case the maintenance is being neglected IMO.

Once the oil is fully warmed up, the chances of the oil filter hitting bypass is very rare. Maybe if the filter is very clogged it might, but in that case the maintenance is being neglected IMO.
Yes, exactly and a magnet will help filter the oil while the filter can not, heck, some winter areas and short trips oil may not ever warm it up enough at times. Unlike water temperature it takes a long time for oil to reach full operating temperature.

Back