Mobil 1 Extended Performance Mismatch - Old Formula vs. New

Howdy,

I drive a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S, 156,000 mi. Running Mobil 1 EP Full Synthetic 5w-30 (the 20k rated stuff with the gold label)

Needed to top off as I burned a bit, had a gift card to Rock Auto so I ordered the quart from them. The site picture had the new version but they sent me the old mobil 1 EP bottle (yellow label, rated for 15,000 mi). This tells me it’s at least a few years old and possibly a different formula. Their online customer support tool refused to send a replacement and they do not offer phone service to explain what's wrong.

Wondering if I should (a) roll with it and just dump this stuff in or (b) go somewhere else to get the matching oil. Does anyone know if the old formula vs new is actually different? Part of me suspects it’s the same, or close enough that it won't matter. Pics of oil bottles attached. Thank you!

Attachments

• 71GWjagbLNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71GWjagbLNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 78
  • 71Lsczw2hyL._AC_SL1450_.jpg
    71Lsczw2hyL._AC_SL1450_.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Thank you. There are differences:

Old One Has:
API SN PLUS, SN, SM, SL

New One:
API SP, SN PLUS, SN, SM

So major difference is that new one has SP whereas old one had SL. Any idea what to make of that? Still wondering if "close enough" or not worth the risk.

Based on the comments here it sounds like I am good to go here. Worst case it's going to be 2,000 mi of smooth all-highway driving, then getting an oil change at the destination.

Howdy,

I drive a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S, 156,000 mi. Running Mobil 1 EP Full Synthetic 5w-30 (the 20k rated stuff with the gold label)

Needed to top off as I burned a bit, had a gift card to Rock Auto so I ordered the quart from them. The site picture had the new version but they sent me the old mobil 1 EP bottle (yellow label, rated for 15,000 mi). This tells me it’s at least a few years old and possibly a different formula. Their online customer support tool refused to send a replacement and they do not offer phone service to explain what's wrong.

Wondering if I should (a) roll with it and just dump this stuff in or (b) go somewhere else to get the matching oil. Does anyone know if the old formula vs new is actually different? Part of me suspects it’s the same, or close enough that it won't matter. Pics of oil bottles attached. Thank you!
I purchased 8 bottles of lubgard from RA they sent me, 20 year old bottles of Lubegard biotech.....confirmed by calling lubegard.
They did nothing about it when I told them.

I don't buy too much at RA anymore.
Customer service is almost non existent.

I purchased 8 bottles of lubgard from RA they sent me, 20 year old bottles of Lubegard biotech.....confirmed by calling lubegard.
They did nothing about it when I told them.

I don't buy too much at RA anymore.
Customer service is almost non existent.
Agreed. I was given hundreds of dollars of gift certificates there so figured it was free and might as well use it but I'm definitely wary now. May try to find something that doesn't expire :)

From another post here:

```
The code on Mobil 1 oil I recently purchased is 10220B03A. This stands for plant# 102, year 2020, month February, day 3rd of the month, and 1st production run on that day.
```

My bottle says 10120 G02A so made in 2020, July 02, not terribly old. Seems like just before they made the new 20k label.

I don't believe Mobil changed the formulation of many, if any, of their oils for SP. Mobil tends to be WAY ahead of the curve on compliance (they are on the board of the API, along with other major brands) and have often met the performance requirements of the next version of the standard long before it was released.

I wouldn't be worried, likely the only difference is the label.

Back