Mobil 1 Ext Performance Full Syn for 15k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
grin.gif

I know many of you have seen this before, but I can not for the life of me find a thread talking much about it. All I'm wanting to know is if there are any of you that would trust a 15k mile OCI with this oil and either the filter they sell and guarantee for the same mileage or fram's ultra whhich also states that it is good for 15k miles. The Bosch Distance Plus advertises longevity as well but doesn't state how many miles. I'm just looking to hear everyone's opinion about it.
I honestly don't know if I'd trust even the newer vehicles to go that long on an OC but I can be quite the skeptic. Pricewise I can get the 5qt jug of M1 for around 27$. The M1 Filter for about 13$, The Fram Ultra for about 7$ or 8$ and the Bosch Distance Plus for around 11$. So on paper I can have a 15k mile OCI for around as little as 35$.
(If I were to buy this, It would be going in a 2.4L Dodge Stratus (2006) or a 2.4L Kia optima (2006)). I normally use valvoline maxlife or full syn and whatever oil filter is on sale (almost always the bosch premium filter, but occasionaly a fram or stp filter. (Currently am trying the fram HM filter on the kia with maxlife, and mopar filter with full syn in the dodge). Links below:

The M1 oil: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance
The M1 Filter: https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/performance-oil-filters
The Fram Filter: http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx
The Bosch Filter: http://www.boschautoparts.com/auto/filters/distanceplus-oil-filters

I'd use a Fram Ultra for it, but would try 10k miles first and do a UOA to see if it's up for the task, every car is different and it depends on your driving style. If you drive 2 miles to work and back everyday and that's your only driving then obviously you can't go 15k miles on an oil change.

I would never trust a DI or turbo engine for more than 7.5k miles even with M1 EP. And that is stretching it for me.

For regular NA engines, it can go that long in some. But as was said, every engine is different so going by a UOA would be best.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd use a Fram Ultra for it, but would try 10k miles first and do a UOA to see if it's up for the task, every car is different and it depends on your driving style. If you drive 2 miles to work and back everyday and that's your only driving then obviously you can't go 15k miles on an oil change.

I was actually leaning towards the fram myself. It seems to have a good backing here on BITOG.
Also, I feel you. In my Kia, when College is in session, between it and work i'm driving anywhere from 40 to 50 total miles a day. When I don't have to go to school, I'm still driving 25+ just for a round trip to work. That's during the week. On weekends I may only drive 20 miles or up to 60 depending on who I go see. This last weekend I drove 750 miles total go to a wedding and back. So I feel like if the oil is up to the task, that it would be worth it for me to have longer OCIs.

However, the Kia has been burning some oil somehow lately and I'm not sure if I've solved that problem yet or not so that's part of the reason for all of the speculation. I just changed the oil friday before the trip and hopefully it will hold. I may have overworked the oil in the last OC and it couldn't take the stress. It was Valvoline ML and an M1 filter that were on sale for package deal and I pushed almost 5k miles (on 90% hwy driving at 70+ mph most of the time) and had replaced around 2.5 qts of oil through top off by the time it was time to change the actual oil and still just had the correct amount drain out. But it's not leaking anywhere at all and I never see smoke in the exhaust, or oil in the coolant. I think the oil just broke down and burned at higher speeds. I'm going to shorten the OCI this round and see if anything changes. I'm wanting to go back up to full syn if this isn't a problem anymore. And I wouldn't mind stretching the wife's Dodge's OCIs a little either, but she doesn't drive nearly as much as I do. She probably hardly drives an average of 10 or 15 miles a day, and usually rides with me on the weekends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I would never trust a DI or turbo engine for more than 7.5k miles even with M1 EP. And that is stretching it for me.

For regular NA engines, it can go that long in some. But as was said, every engine is different so going by a UOA would be best.

Sounds like a plan.

UP TO 15,000 MILES. UP TO 15,000 MILES. UP TO 15,000 MILES.

I did two 15K OCIs with M1 AFE 0W-20. One with an MC filter and one with a FRAM Ultra. There was still TBN remaining at the end of the 15K run. This was mixed driving (60/40--highway versus city). I have a sump of M1 EP 0W-20 in the truck now and am more than confident that it can go 15K based upon the performance of the AFE. However, I did a UOA at 10K on the AFE to see how the oil was working and if you are considering a 15K run, you should do the same.

Heck, I have friends that are doing 15-20K on regular M1, and have over 300K on their engines.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I did two 15K OCIs with M1 AFE 0W-20. One with an MC filter and one with a FRAM Ultra. There was still TBN remaining at the end of the 15K run. This was mixed driving (60/40--highway versus city). I have a sump of M1 EP 0W-20 in the truck now and am more than confident that it can go 15K based upon the performance of the AFE. However, I did a UOA at 10K on the AFE to see how the oil was working and if you are considering a 15K run, you should do the same.

There is a great answer! A single UOA around 10k should let you know if 15k is reasonable for your vehicle under your use. Once you know that carry on with confidence.

I sold 2 bikes with 15w50 M1EP, wet clutches (90 XLX350 for the city and a 97 ZX9R city and road) and these bikes shear VII. One with more than 12k on the oil, and the other with about 14k on the oil. I didn't change, but noticed to the buyer, it was overdue. They're still running fine as of yet.

Again, it would depend on what engine and what kind of use/driving habits. There are plenty of 10k+ OCI's on GDI engines that show they will easily go to 15k. And there are ones that you would certainly want to go less.

Making a blanket statement that covers all GDI engines is a worthless answer.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Again, it would depend on what engine and what kind of use/driving habits. There are plenty of 10k+ OCI's on GDI engines that show they will easily go to 15k. And there are ones that you would certainly want to go less.

Making a blanket statement that covers all GDI engines is a worthless answer.

My 15 malibu is GDI. "If" i use my free o/c's from the dealer which is dexos syn blend ill do 5k o/c. Then ill switch up to a full syn and run it the full OLM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back