Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for JLR 2.0L

The vehicle in question is a '19 Jaguar XF with the 2.0L turbo Ingenium engine. The owner's manual calls for either STJLR.03.5006 or STJLR.51.5122, both of which are a 0W-20 viscosity. Only problem is, Castrol is the one of two suppliers of an oil meeting either specification and the products themselves are sourced regionally from Dubai where a ton of subpar oils originate, to include much of Castrol's products. Looking at the cylinder heads with an endoscope, you can clearly see they are quite heavily varnished even with 10,000 km (6,250 mile) drain intervals. Considering how meticulously this vehicle has been maintained, this is not what the internals should look like and this is clearly an oil quality issue.

With that being said, would Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 be a decent substitute? The alternative is RAVENOL Eco Synth ECS SAE 0W-20, which officially meets STJLR.51.5122, but other specifications, such as MB Sheet 229.51 are more stringent.

Last edited:
I'm currently using Valvoline 0W-20 EP on my 2018 XF 2.0T. However I do a 5K miles OCI.
Mobil ESP X2 0W-20 used to have STJLR.51.5122 approval on it 2 years ago. Now only VW, Porsche and MB has the approval.

The vehicle in question is a '19 Jaguar XF with the 2.0L turbo Ingenium engine. The owner's manual calls for either STJLR.03.5006 or STJLR.51.5122, both of which are a 0W-20 viscosity. Only problem is, Castrol is the one of two suppliers of an oil meeting either specification and the products themselves are sourced regionally from Dubai where a ton of subpar oils originate, to include much of Castrol's products. Looking at the cylinder heads with an endoscope, you can clearly see they are quite heavily varnished even with 10,000 km (6,250 mile) drain intervals. Considering how meticulously this vehicle has been maintained, this is not what the internals should look like and this is clearly an oil quality issue.

With that being said, would Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 be a decent substitute? The alternative is RAVENOL Eco Synth ECS SAE 0W-20, which officially meets STJLR.51.5122, but other specifications, such as MB Sheet 229.51 are more stringent.
M1 ESP 5w30 would be fine only if your country uses Ultra Low Sulphur Gasoline.

This oil has VW (504/507), Porsche (C30), BMW (LL04), and Mercedes Benz (229.51/52) approvals.

M1 ESP 5w30 would be fine only if your country uses Ultra Low Sulphur Gasoline.

Yes, of course, but the same applies to M1 ESP X2 0W-20 (VW 508 00) and probably to
Ravenol ECS 0W-20 (MB 229.71 and JLW STJLR.51.5122) as well.
If Jaguar call for STJLR.51.5122 oil for use in Kuwait their fuel appears to be appropriate.

That said I'd prefer a 5W-30 like M1 ESP (or Rav VMP or REP) anyway.

Thank you for all the input!

To clarify, the engine runs on Euro V gasoline, which has a sulfur content of 10 ppm. Not looking to extend drain intervals anywhere near 10,000 km (6,250 miles); if anything it'll be 8,000 km (5,000 miles) max if not 5,000 km (3,000 miles) initially to clean some of the varnish and gunk out. This is primarily because it operates in dusty conditions, to prevent high levels of silicon in the oil.

The Jaguar spec is for a low-SAPS oil based on ACEA C5. I doubt the specific Jaguar requirements are very important or stringent.

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is based on ACEA C3, which is basically the same spec as ACEA C5 apart from the higher viscosity. It meets MB 229.52, which seems to be the most stringent spec in the industry for a C3 oil. The higher viscosity is also appropriate in such a hot climate. I would not hesitate to use it.

Not looking to extend drain intervals anywhere near 10,000 km (6,250 miles); if anything it'll be 8,000 km (5,000 miles) max if not 5,000 km (3,000 miles) initially to clean some of the varnish and gunk out. This is primarily because it operates in dusty conditions, to prevent high levels of silicon in the oil.
Early OCIs to flush any dirt particles out of the oil will not reduce engine wear very much. Almost all of the particles that get drained out will be too small to cause wear. They may have started out larger, but will have been ground down to nothing within a few hours after they were introduced into the crankcase.

Efficient air filtration will make all the difference, capturing particles before they can cause wear. Efficient oil filtration helps too, but not as much, since the dust can still cause a lot of wear to the piston rings and liners as it makes its way into the crankcase.

Back