Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 1970 miles 2020 Subaru Outback XT

I'll bet you're a real hoot at parties.
🍻
Nice cheap shot.

I get a few drinks in me and you'll be inundated with more than you ever wanted to know about power generation. Really though, I don't do much in the way of parties, I prefer a campfire, a few good friends, some ATV's and some firearms.
Yes, he can do exactly what he described. And the majority of people will get it. It's a generalization that, while not technically correct, is understood by most people in casual conversation.
It really isn't though.

Fuel dilution as a driver of viscosity loss has only really entered the conversation on here in recent years, I know, because I've been one of the few people pushing for it to be recognized and calling it out when it is observed.

Historically, all viscosity loss was called "shear", not because people understood the difference and were just being lazy or casual, but because with Blackstone not properly measuring fuel dilution, the assumption was that what was being observed was in fact shear.

I was polite and actually made the effort to thank him for his comment on working on his verbiage. I'm not trying to be a **** or a "party pooper" or however you want to label me, this is a subject where the difference means something and is right to be called out.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people that judge an oil based on the used viscosity in one or two uoa's because they believe that the oil itself has "sheared" so they are convinced that the oil isn't suitable to run in that application. Subaru forums are full of that misinformation.

I've been guilty of it myself when seeing the results of a Blackstone uoa and the fuel is simply shown as
I'm happy to be corrected when I make a mistake and I'm really surprised that people seem to be offended when others try to be factual. As many years as I've been here, I still learn on a regular basis and I may not even agree with a comment that I made a year ago because I've learned something new since then.

🍻

Good post bluesubie.
Long live critical thinking.

I have even heard of speculation that oxidative thickening can mask shear and fuel dilution.

Changing chemical reactions need to be considered, especially with novel materials being utilized at key locations in modern engines.

It's not just wear numbers and viscosity per se.

Good post bluesubie.
Long live critical thinking.

I have even heard of speculation that oxidative thickening can mask shear and fuel dilution.

Changing chemical reactions need to be considered, especially with novel materials being utilized at key locations in modern engines.

It's not just wear numbers and viscosity per se.
Yep, that's another good point. Some of the extended drain oils with little VII content indeed do tend to oxidatively thicken in service, outpacing viscosity loss due to shear. This can also mask mild fuel dilution.

I'm happy to be corrected when I make a mistake and I'm really surprised that people seem to be offended when others try to be factual. As many years as I've been here, I still learn on a regular basis and I may not even agree with a comment that I made a year ago because I've learned something new since then.
I would agree with everything you say here. It's when I'm corrected in a way that belittles me that I take exception.

Back