Mobil 1 detergents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know if Mobil 1 could clean as good as Pennzoil Ultra or PP so I asked Mobil. I essentially asked if Mobil 1 could clean varnish like PU and PP. They responded with

"Mobil1 is considered the highest detergent motor oil in the market place, it will prevent varnish, sludge and carbon build-up and also help clean vehicles that have a history of the issue as well."

So M1 has alot of detergents that are organic and non metallic? Good to know M1 has more detergents than its competitors who are known for cleanliness (PU and PP), right?

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
I wanted to know if Mobil 1 could clean as good as Pennzoil Ultra or PP so I asked Mobil. I essentially asked if Mobil 1 could clean varnish like PU and PP. They responded with

"Mobil1 is considered the highest detergent motor oil in the market place, it will prevent varnish, sludge and carbon build-up and also help clean vehicles that have a history of the issue as well."

So M1 has alot of detergents that are organic and non metallic? Good to know M1 has more detergents than its competitors who are known for cleanliness (PU and PP), right?

Maybe this is the case, but the real issue is considered by whom? Note they do not say "Mobil 1 is the highest detergent motor oil in the market place.".

Seems like an artful marketing phrase to me.

I wouldn't make claims that M1 is better or not than Penz oils, but as one who has probably used more M1 oils than most anyone here at BITOG over the years in many differant kinds of engines, I can say M1 keeps engines remarkably clean for the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: awol350
I bet PU cleans better than M1!!! M1 leaves varnish on dipsticks

How much? Bet that is? And how long did you use M1 and in how many engines?

Asking XOM how good the detergency is of their flagship product provided the predictable answer.
I would guess that most of the better formulated synthetic labeled oils are pretty equivalent in their properties grade to grade, including M1, PP, PU and QSUD.

Hi,
tig1 - I can concur. I have used Delavc and Mobil products since around 1955 - commencing with Mobiloil Special 10w-30.
I was a late user of Mobil 1 products in my own cars - only since the mid 1990s

In various tests in diesel and petrol engines these products have always produced remarkably clean engines in a wide range of applications - and over many milliosn of Kms

I have tested a number of Brands for a number pf organisations over many many years. The Mobil and Delvac products were alwats top of the tree for cleanliness when used as specified

It is unwise to expect any lubricant to "clean up" a heavily varnished or sludge laden engeine. Sometimes there can be a slight improvement. In many cases these engines are the product of poor design or maintenance and/or by using non recommended (specification) products

ShellAero, not Mobil or any other lubricant manufacturer, kept the engines clean and running perfectly on the cold war era planes I flew. However, each engine consumed 20-30 gallons of oil from an 80 gallon dry sump on each flight of 12-14 hours.

Perhaps a Mobil product could have improved on that consumption rate.

How much of that oil was burned, and how much of it leaked?
Were these Pratts or Wrights?
Just curious.

ive used mobil 1 and pennzoil yellow bottle quite a bit in the past and both of them did a great job of cleaning and keeping my engines clean. i have not used pp or pu in my personal vehicles. i do change oil for a guy who runs pp and pu in his vehicles at 10k mile intervals and his engines are clean when looking through the fill holes. i think almost all modern oils will keep engines clean if the oil is changed when it should be.

the question is what oil is bad???
These days oil is oil and the cheapest oil with api sn and ilsac GF-5 is just as good as the rest with those ratings..
Believe me if one oil was the best that oil company would advertise that they are the best.

Originally Posted By: awol350
Tig you think M1 is better?

Read my first post with this thread.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Seems like an artful marketing phrase to me.

Of course it is. Between marketing a company's pride in its own products, what would you expect them to see?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Just curious.

Wright R3350s...high 'consumption' was a combo of loose tolerances and leaks via wheelwells and cowlings. But, they never failed to get us home, whether summer south of the equator or winter north of the Arctic Circle.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Just curious.

Wright R3350s...high 'consumption' was a combo of loose tolerances and leaks via wheelwells and cowlings. But, they never failed to get us home, whether summer south of the equator or winter north of the Arctic Circle.

Sorry, off topic, but I have to ask. What type of aircraft? In 63-67 I was in VP-11 and we flew the P2V7 Neptune with twin R 3350s and twin J-34s. Our oil tanks were 80gal and yes we used a lot of oil on long patrols.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
ShellAero, not Mobil or any other lubricant manufacturer, kept the engines clean and running perfectly on the cold war era planes I flew. However, each engine consumed 20-30 gallons of oil from an 80 gallon dry sump on each flight of 12-14 hours.

Perhaps a Mobil product could have improved on that consumption rate.

I thought it was AeroShell, not ShellAero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back