Mobil 1 detergents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
How much of that oil was burned, and how much of it leaked?
Were these Pratts or Wrights?
Just curious.

Wright R3350s...high 'consumption' was a combo of loose tolerances and leaks via wheelwells and cowlings. But, they never failed to get us home, whether summer south of the equator or winter north of the Arctic Circle.

Sorry, off topic, but I have to ask. What type of aircraft? In 63-67 I was in VP-11 and we flew the P2V7 Neptune with twin R 3350s and twin J-34s. Our oil tanks were 80gal and yes we used a lot of oil on long patrols.

tig...I believe we've communicated earlier. I flew with VP-1 (NAS Whidbey) '55-'58, both P2V5 & 5F models. Will be attending the "Atomic Vets" (1956 Operation Redwing) reunion at Whidbey Island next month hosted by the squadron.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: Hallmark
ShellAero, not Mobil or any other lubricant manufacturer, kept the engines clean and running perfectly on the cold war era planes I flew. However, each engine consumed 20-30 gallons of oil from an 80 gallon dry sump on each flight of 12-14 hours.

Perhaps a Mobil product could have improved on that consumption rate.

I thought it was AeroShell, not ShellAero.

You are absolutely correct...recall after nearly 60 years is subject to error.

Even the store brand synthetic oils are very good. Just as the same question at NAPA, CARQUEST, AAP, AZ, O'R,.....they would all agree that their oil is considered the best for keeping an engine clean. IMO....it's all good stuff.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Asking XOM how good the detergency is of their flagship product provided the predictable answer.
I would guess that most of the better formulated synthetic labeled oils are pretty equivalent in their properties grade to grade, including M1, PP, PU and QSUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back