Mobil 1 ATF of Mobil 1 ATF Mercon V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing a drain and refill on my 04 Ranger which requires Mercon V. Walmart has a new Mobil 1 ATF that says new and improved and Advance Auto has Mobil 1 ATF Mercon V. The first new and improved formulation says suitable for mercon V as well on the back. Is there a differance? I went to mobils site but they dont list the Mercon V Mobil 1 anymore.

The Mobil 1 web site list a New Formula - Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is a premium synthetic blend ATF that is formally approved as Mercon V. The Ford Motorcraft Mercon V is also a synthetic blend IIRC.

Mobil also makes Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF that is 100% synthetic base and says "Mercon V" on the bottle is not "formally" approved as Mercon V but does "Outperforms conventional ATF and meets General Motors' Dexron® III and Ford's Mercon® and Mercon® V requirements."

I used the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my 2002 Explorer (only replaced 5 quarts out of 12 quarts - I'll get the rest later) and so far everything is very good. I'll actually say it seems to shift nicer than before, although it always shifted well and this could just be due to new fluid of any sort not to any particular virtue of the Mobil 1.

Rumple

I was aware of that, but what got me confused was both were Mobil 1 Fully synthetic. Just one of them said Mercon V on the bottle like the pic on the mobil website, and the other said New Formulation. Neither one was a blend. I read on here that the new formulation replaced the Mobil 1 Mercon V but was wondering if one was better then the other..

I'm just going to be doing a partial fluid swap before my trip. My ranger sees heavy towing. Boat and trailer weigh in at 5360lbs plus a bed of camping gear. So far so good with the origional 49K Motorcraft Mercon V. Still is nice and red and smells good. Shifts perfect I was just going to suck it all out through the dipstick hole with my top side oil changer unit and do a quick refill. I'll be going on a 9 hour trip with it this week.

Ah, I see - the Mobil 1 Synthetic said "New Formula" rather than "Mercon V" on the front. I just bought a case of 6Q and every quart had "Mercon V" on the front. I suppose ExxonMobil is allowed to change formulation!

I too did a partial change because of an upcoming trip, in my case a 510 mile round trip to a star party with telescopes and camping gear. Good luck!

Rumple

FYI, your ranger has a reusable trans pan gasket. Just letting you know. I modified my 03 ranger pan by welding a nut to the bottom of it. Now it has a drain plug.

Walmart carries the Mobil 1 ATF for 5.84. I've been using the Valvoline Mercon V in the blue bottle. Fighting the urge to change it again, I knew the drain plug was going to cost me!!!

So I am better off with the new Formulation at Walmart vs the Labeled Mercon V Mobil 1 ATF at advance auto? It seems the Mercon V listed bottle at advance is old stock. Other then that, I cant find the valvoline but do see the Castrol Mercon V

Thanks for the headsup on the pan gasket. I was not aware of that. I'm just scared changing the fluid lol. It runs and shifts so good. Even pulling the trailer.

BTW I remember when I bought the truck new in Sept of 04. I got a letter from Ford a few months later saying there have been issues with shuddering and that I should bring my ranger back to the dealer so that they could add some sort of additive per some sort of recall.. Do these newer fluids contain this additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back