Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy-MPG Increase Real??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering about Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 for the wife's xB-trying to help it's declining gas mileage-has anybody tried it, and ANY MPG improvement??? How long OCI??
35.gif

Planning to try it myself....and I've heard the MPGs you save are not much...Like the long OCI though....

I put it in my gf Xterra and she commented to me that she is getting better MPG. She said she usually has to fill up every 3 days, but has been doing it every 4th day now. And, it "feels peppier" she says. I know I know hardly scientific proof, but she didnt know about the new oils "AFE" aspect as she just lets me do my own thing when it comes to working on her X. I mainly got it to see how it works before I put it in my 4Runner (bad I know) and the fact that she just starts it up and zooms away without regard to her oil temp. She seems to be happy with it so I guess it works out for all involved. I cant wait to see the UOA because her X has 100K+ on it and this is its first syn fill.

I've used it in my Sentra for 15K miles but I didn't notice any sig improvement -- certainly not the 25% implied in the above post.
For what it's worth, it "didn't like" it and rattled onstart up (cold). I am now on the Penzoil Platinum bandwagon (5/30)and the car "likes" it. However, the car is put up for winters, so I can't say if it would have helped increase the MPGs. I did just put it in the Frontier for its winter oil change and since it has a mileage display it will be easy to monitor any changes.

You should get at least 2% mpg improvement if you are currently using 5W30. For example a car that get 25 mpg on 5W30 should get 25.5 mpg on 0W20.

Over a 7,500 mile OCI you will save 6 gallons of gas.

If you are running primarily in cold weather or running a thicker oil such as 10W40 or 20W50 the savings will be much higher.

Mobil claims 2% fuel saving going to 0W20:

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/home/fuel_calc.html

It is not clear whether they are using 5W20 or 5W30 as the base case.

Here is another paper from 2000 claiming 2.1% mpg improvement going from 5W30 to 0W20:

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200103/000020010300A1057796.php

used it in an 05 jeep liberty. Missoula to Vegas 950 miles. kept the old mpg sheet from the previous years trip, gained one mpg using the 0-30. Haven't tried it in aything else yet.
but speeds were between 75-85 mph. so ya.
try a fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter, rotate and inflate tires. go to a good automotive shop to have this done not some stupid jiffy oil change thingy

The improved fuel economy will be more pronounced for short trips in cold weather. There should be very little difference in a long highway trip. Once the 0W30 comes up to temperature it will be the basically the same viscosity as a 5W30.

Also, 0.5 mpg will be difficult if not impossible to measure given changes in weather, traffic, speeds, wind, etc.

The main reason I want to try it is that the xB is usually used for primarily short trips, stop & go, usually not fully warmed up for long (which is the hardest on engine oil), it mostly hasn't gotten the MPGs that it got new (which I'm convinced is due to unavailabilty of ethanol-free gas)-ALTHOUGH, I did use it for work this past week, managed to squeeze 34 MPG out of it on back-road, country 2-lane highway style driving-unfortunately, it's geared like a farm truck-4000 RPM in 5th only gets you 75 MPH or so!!

I have AFE "on- deck" for winter use up N here. I went from ash 10w-30 synpower which was not providing good fuel mileage or power to Castrol syntec 5w-30 + 1 pint 10w40 syntec and after 1000 miles the car is back to getting 39-42 MPG and has very good power. I attribute this to cleaning sticky (varnished) ring lands and/or sticky valves only - not weight. Possibly there is a base stock lubricity issue at play too. Modern 4v heads have VERY low seat pressure ( vvti. No biggie - now I have a pint left for my next Syntec OC. Happy with this combo.

Also, the usual MPG killing suspects have been eliminated-tires inflated to near maximum sidewall PSI, new air filter, no brake dragging, etc. The same engine, used in an Echo, is rated for 40 MPG+.

I've tried 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 conventional and synthetic oils in my 2000 Saturn. I have kept detailed fuel economy figures over the past 1.5 years/56,000 miles and have seen no appreciable difference in fuel economy. I have a single overhead cam engine and a 5-speed transmission in this car.

Using MC5000 has had the effect of the car using no makeup oil on 3000 miles runs. PYB and Formula Shell 5w-30 necessitate the use of 6 ounces of makeup oil per 3000 miles. Kind of interesting I thought.

I have averaged the same 35 city/42 highway pretty much the entire time. 100% highway road trips get me 44-45 mpg and 100% city I do no better than 35 mpg. R's are kept at 2500 and under.

Something of note is that I have seen an mpg increase, albeit small by using Redline SI-1 fuel additive at the maintenance does of 1oz/10 gallons of gas. I started a thread about that, and that this increase covers quite a bit of the cost of using the SI-1 additive.

Last edited:
The lightest recommended oil should net you the best power and economy, no matter what type or brand.

You can go higher than the factory recommended pressure on the tires, but don't use the sidewall rating for air pressure.
Read the rest of the few words there and see what I mean.

Quote:

Also, the usual MPG killing suspects have been eliminated-tires inflated to near maximum sidewall PSI, new air filter, no brake dragging, etc. The same engine, used in an Echo, is rated for 40 MPG+.

Gearing is different however than your farm truck lol. As a indication 3500RPM is 85mph in the !echo! I only once achieved < 40 mpg; summertime mpg are 45 or so.

I have 0W-20 AFE queued up and it may be my winter fill for the !echo!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Gearing is different however than your farm truck lol. As a indication 3500RPM is 85mph in the !echo! I only once achieved < 40 mpg; summertime mpg are 45 or so.

I have 0W-20 AFE queued up and it may be my winter fill for the !echo!

Unfortunately the xB in Japan (known as the Toyota BB) must only be used as an urban/delivery vehicle/van-when they brought it to the US, they left the 4.56-1 or so final drive ratio the same. I can't complain too much-it has more back seat legroom than a Suburban (!), and is fun to drive on smooth roads. I just would like to get 30+ consistently on the highway & 25 in the city-I'm going to try the AFE & see if it helps any.

The way the oil is formulated the engine sees the oil as thinner than it really is. Not really scientific but that is the idea behind the oil or marketing The difference will be tenths of a mpg. Now if you used Amsoil you would get 3 to 5 mpg increase!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back