Mobil 1 75w90 in honda mt ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Is Mobil 1 75w90 a decent choice for use as honda MT fluid? Personally I can't see why it wouldn't work. But I have not seen any posts on anyone else that tried it. Comments would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

Most people I've read use Redline MTL in Honda transmissions, and Mobil 1 75w90 is thicker than MTL I think. SOme use a blend of 50/50 MTL and MT-90.

There have been problems with Honda synchros and Redline MTL (see postings from Mistabone on rec.autos.honda for more information).

Based upon some of the issues Mistabone talks about, I would run the Honda MTL in it.

However, in my 1994 Acura Integra, I ran Redline MTL and changed it every 30,000 miles and it worked great up until when I traded it (car had a little over 90,000 miles when traded). I didn't have any problems with the synchro's and in fact, it shifted great, but .....

I use M1 75W-90 in a VW tranny that calls for that weight,it works well in this application.

I belive Honda calls for a thinner lube like a 70W-80.Pennzoil Synchromesh might be a good option for you.

mechtech That is a possibility, although I have run it in the rear end of my wife's expedition for the last 50k miles with no problem (limited-slip diff). Not the same situation I guess...
dunno.gif

btw: why is too slippery a problem???

The synchros won't grab, and shifting will grunch/grind unless shifted real slow. M1 gear oil is not popular in manual transmissions because of it's slipperyness.

I purchased new a 1992 Honda Prelude SR, and the shop manual and owner manual both recommended a 10W-30 motor oil in the transaxle.

I changed the transaxle oil at 2,000km (It was already black!) and refilled with Mobil 1 10W-30. I then changed the transaxle fluid every fall.

I sold the Prelude in 2000 with 82,000km on the clock. It shifted perfectly, and in temps especially below -20 C, there wasn't any crunching or stiffness that most Canadian Prelude owners complained about.

Well seems that the general concensus is Redline. Ok, I'll give it a shot, Can't be worse than the stock fluid, I have not liked the way that vehicle shifts since new. Thought it would wear in but, with 50k I've given up on that idea
rolleyes.gif
. From all the comments I've gotten seems anything from 10 to 12 cst should work. One observation though, some have said that they used m1 10w30 with success. Wouldn't motor oil, designed with fuel economy in mind, have a greater "slipperiness" than gear oil? This seems strange. However, thank you for your comments. R.

also, I think the MTL would be the closest to the 10-12 range eyeballing the redline specs. http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/6.pdf

[ December 09, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: dustyjoe1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back