Mobil 1 5W50 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your take on this oil?

I mean it's Porsche approved and OEM SLR Mclaren oil, it shouldn't be too bad. At least it should sustain high heat and high shear. If my car's been using 5W40 european formula for the past 70K miles, and given that this Mobil 1 5W50 was too cheap to pass on the deal. Do you guys find any problem that I may encounter? Cold start problem ?

Need your valuable input guys !

Hi,
bwco - M1 5W-50 is an excellent product - at the high end of the M1 range! Use it according to your Owners manual regarding lubricant viscosities and ambient temperatures

It is widely sold WW except in NA

I had read that it was factory spec'd for the new Mustang Shelby GT500's, so I looked it up on M1 website.
In the FAQ's, listed as available factory dealership item, not in normal retail stores in the USA.

My guess is that the 15W-50 M1 is too politically incorrect to specify in new vehicles now, like they did back in 2000 for the Cobra R. Too much Phosphorous and Zinc.
I still use it in my Cobra. Though I doubt it has as much Group IV as it used to since Castrol is getting away with it in North America.
ExxonMobil won't tell you what their base stock is anymore. Probably ambergris and dandruff...
28.gif

I'll probably switch to Redline, just to poison my cat and make Al Gore and Barry Hussein Obama pee their pants.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
bwco - M1 5W-50 is an excellent product - at the high end of the M1 range! Use it according to your Owners manual regarding lubricant viscosities and ambient temperatures

It is widely sold WW except in NA

I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada. It could get as low as -10 degree celcius here. And summer could get up to + 25 or so.
The dealership suggest 5W40 before. Now, they switched to 5W30 Pennzoil synthetic for Euros.
All my cars are mercedes that require euro formula oil.
But Since i do most of my oil change, i thought it would be great to try out this M1 5W50. It's way cheaper with the 5W50 than the 0W40 euro formula. I got these 5W50 M1 for about CAD$30/4.4L = USD$22/4.4L jug. I've got like 10 jugs so far.

So, if it's a good deal, i might just go back and take another 10 jugs. But call me stupid, I judged the oil based on it's "bang-for-the-bucks" factor solely.

They seem to be replacing M1 5W-50 in Canada with M1 15W-50. You can still find some 5W-50, but I think they're just selling off old stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back