Mobil 1 5W30 3,229 - 03 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
.............AND stayed in grade in a subie turbo!..........-Dennis

Probably because of the extra clearance in his turbo bearings.
wink.gif

Probably it more depands on how you drive.. with Fe=4ppm @ 3,2k - rather highway miles.. (?)

That M1 is running well in your vehicle obviously. I would keep with it. M1 has meets Turbo specs. The manuals are just a guide so you don't use "Bullseye Brand Oil". %w30 is fine when it is as good of a synthetic as M1.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would think that the M1 would be OK on the puffed 2-litre then go to T6 on the 2.3 knocker. You might be saying bye bye to some HP with that heavy T6.

Interestingly enough, I have been seeing a higher average fuel mileage after I have switched to the T6. Haven't done exact calculations yet but it looks like I'm averaging around 30mpg now when I was staying right around 28. I don't understand how, as I assumed I'd be taking a hit in MPG when i switched. It actually has had an opposite effect.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Finally! A Mobil1 UOA where iron is not elevated.
whistle.gif

AND stayed in grade in a subie turbo!

Of course, as with most subie turbo owner's, we're not going to see a trend with an Energy Conserving oil. It's like they start researching on the web, or get yelled at by Uncle Scotty, and immediately jump to RT6.
grin.gif

Atticus - with bad seals, you'll likely see smoke coming out of the hood scoop or out of the tailpipe within the first few minutes of driving. In my case, it never happened after the car was warmed up. And neither bad seals, or a blown turbo, showed any obvious signs in a uoa.

-Dennis

I am actually surprised that I stayed in grade and that my wear was normal. I pushed the car a little harder than normal on this drain. Drag strip a couple of times, lots of spirited driving and all in some epic summer heat. But I don't rip on it much at all day to day. It only has exhaust and a re-tune running 18PSI.

I have been using Mobil 1 since I got the car 30K ago, and it has worked well for me it seems. However, I am going to try out the T6 and maybe even some German Castrol and hopefully find one that best suits me. I am going to be pushing the car even harder next year so a good oil that can take some abuse is in order. (Autocross, drag strip track days.)

as far as the turbo seals I will be upgrading shortly anyway so we will see if that was the issue, if not then maybe I will look into other causes. 150k on a stock turbo, running it at 18PSI, i will be very surprised if it isn't blowing oil through the seals.

I didn't even notice the total mileage so that's even more impressive. My first TD04 last about 62k and my second one lasted about 20k. Do you know what oil the previous owner ran? What do you mean by re-tune? AccessPort or open source re-flash?

Sometimes I think the 2.0's are easier on oil than the 2.5's. My buddy with an '02 runs GC and rarely checks his oil between changes. He goes anywhere from 5-7k mile oci's but he estimates it because he doesn't actually keep track of it.

-Dennis

I didn't even notice the total mileage so that's even more impressive. My first TD04 last about 62k and my second one lasted about 20k. Do you know what oil the previous owner ran? What do you mean by re-tune? AccessPort or open source re-flash?

Sometimes I think the 2.0's are easier on oil than the 2.5's. My buddy with an '02 runs GC and rarely checks his oil between changes. He goes anywhere from 5-7k mile oci's but he estimates it because he doesn't actually keep track of it.

-Dennis

Cobb stage 2 tune. Dono if it is the original turbo or not, dono what the PO ran or anything about them besides bad taste in mods and I got it from a car lot. Flying through this change, already at 1,500 need to check if the thicker T6 has helped with my consumption any...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back