Mobil 1 5W-30 vs. Amsoil XL 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
If price was the same as well as availability...which is "better"? I was set on the XL but I realized the price of each is literally within a few cents/qt of each other and I can pick up either less than 10 minutes from my house. I believe the XL is mainly group III and the Mobil 1 is mainly PAO so the nod would seem to go to the Mobil 1 in that respect but it seems like the XL is a better formulation (just a guess based on UOA's).

The car is a 2004 Grand Prix, supercharged and slightly modified to provide 12 psi boost and 300hp, 180 thermostat, 80% short-trips. OCIs will be every 8000 miles/9 months with a Pure One filter. Car is driven hard a couple of times a day and it sees near redline for a couple of seconds at a time. Ambient temperature is normally between 0 and 100.

The Mobil 1 is thicker at 40c (64.8 vs 58.2) and at 100c (11.3 vs 10.5) but has no spec for -30c so I'll assume it is also thicker there. I'm really looking for a very thin 5W-30 but I'm not sure that there will be that much difference between the two. I thought Mobil 1 was known for being a thin 5W-30...

Does the performance of Mobil 1 outweigh the (very) slight cost difference and the slight increase in thickness over the XL? If this were not a performance car I would just go with the XL, but will the Mobil 1 protect better due to the boost level?

Totally ignoring group type, and even some of the paper specifications - these oils are so close it comes down how your engine "fits" with the oil and driving style and OCI.

Have you seen any UOAs on your engine with like oils?

Maybe trial and error, baby!!

Quote:

I thought Mobil 1 was known for being a thin 5W-30...

Use to be one of the thinest for many years, but as you noticed, that changed the past year or so.

Pabs gives good advice, try them both, see which one you like. Give each 2 OCIs.

They are both easily accesible to me. I haven't done any UOAs on this vehicle but have looked at the ones on BITOG and there are several more Mobil 1 UOAs than XL UOAs. The older Mobil 1 UOAs seem to be better than the recent ones and the few XL UOAs I saw seem to be pretty good. But, there weren't very many of either with this engine.

Pablo is correct. I will say the Amsoil XL line has been showing some great results.

I am doing the same test. I have run Amsoil for years. Now using Mobil SUV.

What is nice about Mobil is I can get it for $22 for 5-qts and that is that day (in hand).

But I will see what UOA says.

Quote:

OCIs will be every 8000 miles/9 months

Why in the ________ would you go this far without a UOA. Not only that the engine is Supercharged! I would also use a better filter too. If you want this engine to last, Stop being so cheap!
twocents.gif
My flame suit is on
fighter.gif

Cheap...Cheap...are you serious? I'm using ASL 5W-30 right now with an EaO filter. That's about a $50 oil change and I think its overkill for the short OCI. Using either XL or Mobil 1 with the Pure One will be about a $30 oil change (no labor), I don't think that's anywhere near cheap. I'm using the OLM and I won't even hit 0% by 8,000 miles. I plan on doing a couple UOAs but I really doubt that the results will point me towards a shorter OCI.

I had no idea what oil you were currently running (I do now). You can only go by the OLM on a stock engine (Unless you asked GM and they said sure). Your contemplating to save $25 dollars per year on a 300HP engine. Therefore your cheap. I would take care of this car. Keep using the Amsoil ASL 5w30 and Eao filter. Enjoy the car.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Using either XL or Mobil 1 with the Pure One will be about a $30 oil change

I would do a UOA Early on. Chances are it would be fine. But why run the Bare Minimum?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see how Mobil 1 or XL are the bare minimum, nor a Pure One filter. A 69 cent oil and Fram filter are probably closer to the bare minimum and would result in a $8 oil change. Next up the ladder would be an AC delco filter and a brand-name oil for $2 a quart=$14 oil change. I would actually consider my possible choices to be near the very top in terms of quality and protection. An EaO filter and HDD or Redline may be the "best" but I just don't see why they would be needed. Also, 300hp is only 40 more than stock and the PCM has been scanned and tuned to adjust the timing and fuel curves and, while there may be slightly more wear due to the additional power, I doubt it would be significant.

Down here in the states, an oil change at Iffy Lube or any of the other quick lube places runs about $22-29 for the cheapest oil and filter you can find. The deaerlships run about the same price and usually use their OEM filter and bulk oil. As I mentioned above, I can, and have, changed my own oil for less than $8 in the past. So, to put it in perspective, I just don't see a $30 oil change as cheap. The majority of people here (in the US) would laugh if you told them that it costs more than a quicklube or a dealership AND they have to do it themselves. Of course, people on this site are not like most people.

Maybe I should clarify that I don't plan on keeping this car for 20 years or 300,000 miles. More likely less than 10 years and 150,000 miles. I really have my eyes on the new Camaro coming out in a couple of years. That will get the absolute best of everything because I will likely keep it for a long time.

Like mentioned, I have the ASL in there right now and for the past couple thousand miles it seems like the engine is slower to turn over in the morning and a couple of times it had to be cranked twice. I'm just assuming at this point, but it seems like the ASL has thickened up a little and it started happening with only about 4000-5000 miles on the oil.

Quote:

Maybe I should clarify that I don't plan on keeping this car for 20 years or 300,000 miles.

Well, I vote on the Amsoil XL series. Your right, why spend the extra cash.
banana.gif

It makes no real difference use either one, good filter and use the OLM to tell you based on actual conditions of driving, temp, revolutions, time spent in warm up closed loop etc....

Then enjoy the heck out the car and relax and listen to some good music....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back