Mobil 1 5W-30 - 7500kms, Nissan Patrol 4.8l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is my first OUA ever, so naturally I'm interested in what people think. I have a pretty good idea what all the numbers mean. Vehicle has done 172500 kms, oil has done 7500 kms through the desert and running around town. Pretty hot here in Perth today, 37C, and only going to get hotter during Feb and March. Filter is M1-110.

Notes:

Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions.

Silicon is at a MINOR LEVEL; SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica), seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or environmental contaminant;

Base Number is SLIGHTLY LOW. Calcium is slightly low for this particularly lubricant.

Code:
Iron 12

Silver 0

Calcium 1226

Aluminium 7

Zinc 768

Copper 6

Lead 1

Magnesium 601

Potassium 2

Cadmium 0

Moly 80

Vanadium 0

Silicon 25

Barium 0

Sodium 2

Tin 0

Chromium 0

Phosphorus 688

Visc @ 100 10.4

Fuel Dilution < 1

Oxidation 13

Titanium 0

Boron 66

Nitration 12

TBN 3.94

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers!

TB.

Originally Posted By: TeeBee48
Well, this is my first OUA ever, so naturally I'm interested in what people think. I have a pretty good idea what all the numbers mean. Vehicle has done 172500 kms, oil has done 7500 kms through the desert and running around town. Pretty hot here in Perth today, 37C, and only going to get hotter during Feb and March. Filter is M1-110.

Notes:

Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions.

Silicon is at a MINOR LEVEL; SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica), seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or environmental contaminant;

Base Number is SLIGHTLY LOW. Calcium is slightly low for this particularly lubricant.

Code:
Iron 12

Silver 0

Calcium 1226

Aluminium 7

Zinc 768

Copper 6

Lead 1

Magnesium 601

Potassium 2

Cadmium 0

Moly 80

Vanadium 0

Silicon 25

Barium 0

Sodium 2

Tin 0

Chromium 0

Phosphorus 688

Visc @ 100 10.4

Fuel Dilution < 1

Oxidation 13

Titanium 0

Boron 66

Nitration 12

TBN 3.94

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers!

TB.

Looks good and probably OK for 10K km, if you do go off roading then the Si figure is OK, although new air filters often give higher figures.
As it's warm down under I would take a good look at the Nissan oil page to see if you might use a 5 or even 10/40, because it might reduce the top end wear metals slightly and cut oil consumption. Mobil or Castrol 10/40's are also cheaper and sludge from too many traffic jams down under is not much of a risk factor. The base no is still good at present and another 2.5K km won't make a big difference.
I don't know what exhaust system you have fitted but the oil you are using has a restricted Zinc content and it should be nearer to 1000 ppm if possible and the more traditional oils will have that if they are OK in recommendation terms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
Which oil does the owner's manual recommend?

Don't know which oil exactly as there are 2 different versions of the 4.8l, but LM list a variety of 5/30, 5/40 and 10/40's. Oddly enough they don't list their expensive synthoils for some odd reason, just HC synthetics and part dino oils.

Last edited:
Silica levels are due to the TB48 stock airbox. Its pretty average in terms of seal, so will sort that out. Manual suggest anything between 5w-30 to 20w-50 depending on ambient temps. I ran 5w-50 Mobil 1 previously but only for 5k kms. OCI as per manual is 15k km or 7.5k km severe service so that's why I got the OUA.

As far as I know there's only one version of the TB48.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Hello,
This response from XOM regarding TBN should put your mind at ease. Very, very minute, but there is evidence of bearing wear (lead, aluminum, copper). Related to that could be the si count, check the air filter or airbox for a good seal. Also, how long have you been running M1 HM, is this the first time?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2703713#Post2703713

The only way there is copper from the bearings is if the babbit materal is gone and the bearings have worn into the copper under layment. Since lead is only at 1PPM your bearings are fine. Likely the copper is leaching from other non wear sources like an oil cooler. I do agree that the TBN is fine and would extend this oil change out several Ks further.

Last edited:
I agree, looks pretty good. TBN is fine. The silicon is high. Make sure the filter is sealing nicely. Rub some silicon grease on the sealing rubber of the filter. Don't open up the filter housing every weekend to check it. Hopefully you do not have any rodents that like to make a nest in the filter housing using the filter media to make in comfy.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Hello,
This response from XOM regarding TBN should put your mind at ease. Very, very minute, but there is evidence of bearing wear (lead, aluminum, copper). Related to that could be the si count, check the air filter or airbox for a good seal. Also, how long have you been running M1 HM, is this the first time?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2703713#Post2703713

The only way there is copper from the bearings is if the babbit materal is gone and the bearings have worn into the copper under layment. Since lead is only at 1PPM your bearings are fine. Likely the copper is leaching from other non wear sources like an oil cooler. I do agree that the TBN is fine and would extend this oil change out several Ks further.

We cannot assume all bearings have the same composition across all engine brands.

http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/eischen/courses/mae415/docs/JournalBearingDesign.pdf

Originally Posted By: hounddog
What KIND of air filter are you using?

Running a RYCO brand air filter in stock air box. I changed it at 170k kms so its only 2500kms old. Will be going to genuine filter next service.

Quick question, the viscosity suggests that it hasnt thinned much at all, is this typical for this oil? Im considering going to M1 0W-40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 or possibly even T6 or Delvac for a more robust oil, but this current fill seems pretty solid.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Hello,

We cannot assume all bearings have the same composition across all engine brands.

http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/eischen/courses/mae415/docs/JournalBearingDesign.pdf

I agree. My Fords use a bi-metal bearing made of alum and silicon,the copper being the last line of defense before wearing into the steel body of the bearing. While working in a machine shop for many years I often made rod and crank bearings for pumps were the parts were outdated and could not be purchased. I would thermo spray the bearing with a bronze coating(.010) and then spray a babbit coating over that.(.015)

In Saudi Arabia, vehicle's which are driven in the country side and in non-paved desert roads, the OCI's are very short like 3000KM with 10W40, due to excessive amount of Silicon making its way into the oil.

Whats the recommended OCI by Nissan Australia for your type of driving?

Oil could definitely go longer, and what air filter do you have on right now anyway?

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Whats the recommended OCI by Nissan Australia for your type of driving?

As mentioned earlier, 15k kms normal service or 7.5k kms severe service.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

Oil could definitely go longer, and what air filter do you have on right now anyway?

Also mentioned earlier, filter is an aftermarket OEM replacement made by RYCO filters, model is HDA5858.

To be honest I'm not really that impressed with this oil. I'm looking for an oil that will last 15k km's as per the OEM Service Manual, but will be tough enough for occasional off road use. Because of the stupidly high price of synthetics here in Aus (sometimes $20/litre), I think I might just run a dino oil like Delo and change at 7.5km's.

Helix Ultra 5w40 good value, much cheaper than M1 5w30 and seems to hold up better during long OCI. Maybe try that.

I don't know why the comments on here, these results are good for 7500KM/4500mi of usage that includes off roading and hot weather operation. The oil held it's viscosity and had some TBN left. I would extend to 10,000KM/6250 miles and retest.

I don't see any overriding reason to go with a Xw50 as some mentioned, this engine did fine with 5w30. That being said M1 0w40 is an excellent long drain oil with a 12+ TBN if you wanted to try running the full 15,000 normal service OCI.

[edit] oh and thank you for posting your interesting vehicle! Probably 90% of the UOA's posted are from the US so it's always nice to see vehicles and engines from other parts of the world.

Is the 4.8 liter in the Patrol related to the VK45DE used in Infiniti and VK56DE used in the Titan and Armada in the US?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
I don't know why the comments on here, these results are good for 7500KM/4500mi of usage that includes off roading and hot weather operation. The oil held it's viscosity and had some TBN left. I would extend to 10,000KM/6250 miles and retest.

I don't see any overriding reason to go with a Xw50 as some mentioned, this engine did fine with 5w30. That being said M1 0w40 is an excellent long drain oil with a 12+ TBN if you wanted to try running the full 15,000 normal service OCI.

[edit] oh and thank you for posting your interesting vehicle! Probably 90% of the UOA's posted are from the US so it's always nice to see vehicles and engines from other parts of the world.

Is the 4.8 liter in the Patrol related to the VK45DE used in Infiniti and VK56DE used in the Titan and Armada in the US?

Thank you for your feedback!

After reading and re-reading other UOA's on this site I can see that the M1 actually did pretty well, so I retract my previous post. This oil got a sound thrashing and its still holding on so its a testament to its quality. I discussed the possibility of running 0W-40 M1 in another thread on BITOG, and it's but I'll see how long this fill last before I make my next move.

Sorry, the TB48DE is actually a DOHC inline 6 cylinder engine so it's a different animal to the VK series engines. They do however run the same RE5R05A 5 spd transmission as the Titans I believe. The newer Nissan Patrol that's being released in Australia any day now is running the VK56DE I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back