Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
From my reading, it appears that Group III+ includes varieties of of gas-to-liquid, severely hydroprocessed slack wax, or a mixture of both. At that extreme level of processing and chemical modification, it really doesn't matter anymore whether the starting product was crude oil or natural gas- the END product is extremely consistent and very much a man-made product, you can't throw the "not a real synthetic" accusation at it the way you can ordinary Group III stock. Shell's XHVI base (IIRC used in Rotella T6) is another example of a Group III+ base stock oil.

Can we please reference CASTROL SYNTEC into this, this just may answer a LOT of questions ive been having..... ive never had an aversion to trying Syntec, either, now i may be even better to understand where it fits in.

Syntec is a notorious Group III, and people say.... well, we already know what they say, about Syntec and the name..
21.gif
now i can see they are wrong?

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

Syntec is a notorious Group III, and people say.... well, we already know what they say, about Syntec and the name..
21.gif

Wrong about what?

The main issue with Syntec back in the day was that it was using cheaper components (Group III) but charging the same price as PAO-based oils. Group III+/VISOM is probably more costly to make than Group III, but it all depends on economies of scale, too.

looks impressive, but the MRV @ -40 C jumped from 26,242 to 31,000-just like another thread posted lately as it seems like all of Mobil's MRV's increased with this formulation change.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You still see 15W-50 in the 5 gallon jug

That'd be one heck of a jug!
55.gif

:) .. You still see 15W-50 in the 5 QUART Jug!

thumbsup2.gif

21.gif

Wrong about what?

Wrong about calling it a fake synthetic because it was Group III?

Sounds like maybe, it is ok!

I think we should bring this thread back on-topic before it becomes a flame war and gets locked.

Nothing personal, HangerHarley. This is just one heck of a can of worms.

21.gif

Wrong about what?

The game has changed. Hydro-processed oils have about caught up to PAO in performance and are much cheaper to produce.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I think we should bring this thread back on-topic before it becomes a flame war and gets locked.

Nothing personal, HangerHarley. This is just one heck of a can of worms.

True. The (Almighty God of certain posters and/or BITOG) Mobil 1 has been mentioned....

35.gif
36.gif

:)

So how IS the Mobil 1 changed, and for the better? Did they put their new formulation in the same exact bottles, to use them up? That would make finding it virtually impossible
54.gif

Looks like a lot of there oils look really good. I like how on some of the data sheets they put the TBN. Sorry if i missed it, but when did these new formulas go into production. Since the new bottles?

Last edited:
Did they put their new formulation in the same exact bottles, to use them up? That would make finding it virtually impossible
54.gif

Quote:
Sorry if i missed it, but when did these new formulas go into production. Since the new bottles?

That was my question. Maybe someone should add it to the M1 Q&A thread before the lockdown?

Did they put their new formulation in the same exact bottles, to use them up? That would make finding it virtually impossible
54.gif

Quote:
Sorry if i missed it, but when did these new formulas go into production. Since the new bottles?

That was my question. Maybe someone should add it to the M1 Q&A thread before the lockdown?

What if they are just using up the old bottles? Would they do that?

And is this "New" 0W-40 better than the old "Red Top" formulation some still seek out, unsold Red Top, API SL?

Originally Posted By: lipadj46

21.gif

Wrong about what?

The game has changed. Hydro-processed oils have about caught up to PAO in performance and are much cheaper to produce.

There are quite a number of ways that Group III+ performs BETTER than PAO- for example it carries additives better and dissolves some types of deposits better. Fortunately, PAO, Ester, and Group III+ are all compatible so most higher-end oils are just a mix of all 3 to get the advantages of all 3. The ratio may vary, with things like Redline being mostly esters and using small amounts of the others as additives, to something like RT6 thats mostly Group III+ with (possibly) esters and PAOs as additives.

It still makes me roll my eyes when someone complains about any oil being "only 30% PAO." And yet I also have to admit that I still have a bit of a bias against predominantly group III (no "+") oils myself. Habit is a hard thing to overcome, so maybe I see the distinction between group III and group III+ as being much bigger than it really is.

Maybe Mobil`s Tri-Synthetic (now SuperSyn) was their trade name for combining three synthetic base oils,grps III/IV/V,to come up with their finished product? Something I`ve noticed about Mobil 1 over any other oil,is I`ve never found dark residue at the bottom of their old containers. I have an empty 15W50 container that`s about 2-3 years old that I`d been saving to transport used oil to be recycled (but just never used it) and the bottom of it is still spotless. Maybe that`s why it`s so excellent at keeping engines clean,that it has no adverse by products,but only ultra refined oils/additives?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Maybe Mobil`s Tri-Synthetic (now SuperSyn) was their trade name for combining three synthetic base oils,grps III/IV/V,to come up with their finished product? Something I`ve noticed about Mobil 1 over any other oil,is I`ve never found dark residue at the bottom of their old containers. I have an empty 15W50 container that`s about 2-3 years old that I`d been saving to transport used oil to be recycled (but just never used it) and the bottom of it is still spotless. Maybe that`s why it`s so excellent at keeping engines clean,that it has no adverse by products,but only ultra refined oils/additives?

IIRC, Doug Hillary covered the components of "Tri-Syn" some time back. It was essentially a mix of PAO and two different Esters IIRC.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 because it's one of the few widely available oils approved for my car and, I think, an excellent one.

Thinking of making it the go-to oil for an '03 Nissan Maxima I'm responsible for.

The Maxima (VQ35DE) owner's manual recommends a 5W-30. Car's driven in an area that sees hot summers and cold winters, but not the far extremes of either.

Will switching to the M1 0W-40 be all right, better, or overkill?

Alright? Most likely yes.

Better? Depends what you're comparing it to. Probably better than grocery store brand 5w-30; probably not better than high-end synthetic 5w-30.

Overkill? Depends how you mean (e.g. hot viscosity yes, cold pumpability no). Also depends on usage, change intervals, etc. etc.....

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Alright? Most likely yes.

Better? Depends what you're comparing it to. Probably better than grocery store brand 5w-30; probably not better than high-end synthetic 5w-30.

Overkill? Depends how you mean (e.g. hot viscosity yes, cold pumpability no). Also depends on usage, change intervals, etc. etc.....
My apologies, I thought it would be obvious I wasn't talking about grocery store brands (does anyone around here?).

The car's a daily driver and subjected to a mix of city and highway, probably 40-60%, respectively, neither babied nor abused. OCIs would be oil dependent, but I usually run a quality synthetic 7500 miles.

From the UOAs I've researched here, M1 0W-40 seems to post good numbers all the way around, in many different applications, especially compared to M1's 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back