Mobil 1 0W40 in a Dexos1 app

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the Mobil 1 0W40 ESP is on the GM Dexos1 approval list but what about using the standard 0W40 in a Dexos1 app?

The ash / phosphorus is a little higher than spec but would this pose a real problem long term? What say you?

Completely different oils and not in the proper viscosity range for dexos1 vehicle. The ESP is speced for a dexos2 vehicle.

Wow...Yeah...Dexos2...That's what I get for trying to read the chart on a 11" laptop....

I would think the Mobil 1 0W40 would work fine in Dexos1 applications.

M1 0w40 would probably be fine in a dexos1 application but....it is thicker than all of the dexos1 5w30's and most importantly your warranty won't be honored. If you don't care by all means use it, it is a great oil but it is a risk. It is your call.

I wouldn't see a warranty issue so long as you don't have a sludge issue, that's the only time I've seen GM oil related warranty problems. I think the whole dexos spec is just GM trying to make an extra dollar through the oil companies. M1 0W-40 is a great oil and I would use it with confidence.

When it destorys your VCT system I hope warranty does not pay for it and raise my prices when you were warned. It will also reduce gas mileage. Only reason I suppose you want to do it is extend OCI to 15K miles. Your dime!

It is extremely unlikely to destroy anything. I have personally run M1 0W-40 to in excess of 300 degrees on track days with no breakdown at all, verified by analysis.

But if you have a warranty my only question is ... why?

Originally Posted By: 229
When it destorys your VCT system I hope warranty does not pay for it and raise my prices when you were warned....

Really? It's going to "destroys' your VCT system?"

I mean really? This alarmist [censored] is what takes this site down a notch,,,

When it destorys your VCT system I hope warranty does not pay for it and raise my prices when you were warned. It will also reduce gas mileage. Only reason I suppose you want to do it is extend OCI to 15K miles. Your dime!

You do realize that Mobil 1 0w40 in Florida is LESS viscous than ANY oil running in an engine in Michigan right now right?

Oil viscosity is not a constant. If GM's VCT system was as fragile as you imply, it wouldn't survive a single cold start.

Really!! What does ignorance do for it? Huh?
ASE Master Auto Technician

I am REALLY not trying to be rude, but throwing out "ASE Master Auto Technician" in no way means you understand oil viscosity. And it is ABUNDANTLY clear from your first post in this thread, that you clearly don't.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If you want to use M1 oils, why not use M1 5-30 in your GM engine?

Yeah, if he needs Dexos1, M1 5w-30 is the ticket.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
When it destorys your VCT system I hope warranty does not pay for it and raise my prices when you were warned....

Really? It's going to "destroys' your VCT system?"

I mean really? This alarmist [censored] is what takes this site down a notch,,,

Master tech or not, I agree with Nickdfresh..

If something like 0W-40 was going to destroy the VCT system, vehicles that are regularly short tripped should be spitting valve train components by the millions, due to the "cold" oil that never reaches anywhere near the normal operating viscosity...

"I am REALLY not trying to be rude, but throwing out "ASE Master Auto Technician" in no way means you understand oil viscosity. And it is ABUNDANTLY clear from your first post in this thread, that you clearly don't."

It has more credibility than "Network Engineer". It is "ABUNDANTLY clear" that you do not have a clue since you do not ABUNDANTLY agree with my first post. Instead of hijacking a post to an OP in northern Virginia about weather in FL maybe you should read about the failures we have been having with the 3.6L.

"I am REALLY not trying to be rude, but throwing out "ASE Master Auto Technician" in no way means you understand oil viscosity. And it is ABUNDANTLY clear from your first post in this thread, that you clearly don't."

It has more credibility than "Network Engineer". It is "ABUNDANTLY clear" that you do not have a clue since you do not ABUNDANTLY agree with my first post. Instead of hijacking a post to an OP in northern Virginia about weather in FL maybe you should read about the failures we have been having with the 3.6L.

You again made no attempt to explain what I brought up. Which indicates you don't understand it. If you are having failures with the 3.6L, it isn't viscosity related and likely a design defect.

If you can EXPLAIN otherwise, then please do. Because so far, every post that you've made in this thread has shown that you are simply ignorant about the coorelation between viscosity and temperature. If you understood that, you would have then "got" why I mentioned Florida and Michigan. But since you don't, you didn't.

And on this site, I'm sorry but your title has no more weight than mine unless it is "Tribologist" or some sort of fluids engineer, of which neither of us are. You are attempting to throw titles around to add weight to your point; to bully people into accepting your position, and on this board, that doesn't fly.

That being said, I understand viscosity. You don't.

It is apparent who is bullying and who is being helpful.

You would be better served in learning about HTHS.

The 0.025" passages in the VCT system would be adversely affected at room temperature in this senario and I was talking about long term where you were talking about a single start-up.

If you want me to explain "what you brought up" then open a thread. I am helping the OP keep his warranty and vehicle operational. Just the facts that a tribologist would agree with.

OP quote: "The ash / phosphorus is a little higher than spec but would this pose a real problem long term? What say you?"

Yes, long term it will affect your emissions system. You have emissions certification regulations in northern Virginia. Would there be any objection to using what your car's manufacturer requires? HTHY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back