Mobil 1 0w40 in 5.4 F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what your thoughts are on mobil 1 0w40 in a 2003 ford F150 (2 valve head) with over 150,000 miles on it. We have used M1 5w30 or 5w20 EP for most of its life, but it burns it off to the tune of about 3 quarts every 10,000 miles (it's a quart low by the time we're ready to change it and we add 2 quarts between changes usually). If not 0w40, what other oils would you recommend for 10,000 miles on a truck that sees 50/50 farm driving/highway driving?

Edit: I am looking for an oil that can be found locally, in a store right now. Schaffer's and Amsoil are not easily available locally.

Hurst

Last edited:
Maybe try 5-30 PP. I wouldn't go to 40wt in a modular engine. At best it on the boarder of being too heavy. Lighter is also better for OHC engines.

There are a few here running green cap with good results. 03 is the last year I would consider a 40wt if you do.

You may consider 5000 mile OCI with a less expensive product such as Motorcraft semi syn.

Last edited:
I would give GC a try use to run it in my 02 F150 I would make sure the PCV is in good working order

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Maybe try 5-30 PP. I wouldn't go to 40wt in a modular engine. At best it on the boarder of being too heavy. Lighter is also better for OHC engines.

You may consider 5000 mile OCI with a less expensive product such as Motorcraft semi syn.

The vast majority of engines that spec M1 0w40 are OHC.....

We are running M1 0w40 in my parent's Expedition (5.4L 2V) right now. We've had a great OCI with it so far. It eliminated a noise we had and the engine has never been this smooth or quiet. Dad wants to stick with it. It has 185,000Km on it.

Cold start performance is also excellent. We've been down to -17C so far.

if you want to stick with M1, maybe give M1 5w-30 high Mileage. a try. This is long drain capable, still a 30w and is thicker behind the pistons at 3.6 HTHS 150C vis.

Originally Posted By: Hurst89
I was wondering what your thoughts are on mobil 1 0w40 in a 2003 ford F150 (2 valve head) with over 150,000 miles on it.

Not a good idea. Try a hig mileage oil like Maxlife. Do not exceed 30w.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Hurst89
I was wondering what your thoughts are on mobil 1 0w40 in a 2003 ford F150 (2 valve head) with over 150,000 miles on it.

Not a good idea. Try a hig mileage oil like Maxlife. Do not exceed 30w.

You guys are so paranoid
wink.gif

I'll check out the PCV valve. It was weird though, because the truck didn't burn any oil for the first few changes we ran Motorcraft 5w20 in it, then switched to Mobil 1, and it has burned the same amount every change. My TDI is even doing the same thing on Mobil 1 TDT, but not as bad. It has needed about half a quart in 5000 miles, which isn't bad, but it used maybe half a quart in 9-10,000 miles on the different 505.01 oils I used (Elf 5-40, synpower 5-40, and Lubrimoly 5-30).

Also, I don't want anything to do with an oil that has seal swellers like high mileage oils do. I may consider an oil labeled high mileage if it doesn't have seal swellers, but I cannot find anything saying they don't, which makes me very cautious of using them. The truck doesn't have a single leak on the engine right now.

Hurst

Quote:
Do not exceed 30w.

M1 0W-40 should be fine then, once it shears down... :)

robert

I was reading that 0w40 is a very light 40 wt oil, more similar to a thicker 30wt oil than a 40wt oil. Also, this truck doesn't have Variable cam timing, so I don't have to worry about that fortunately, I'd probably say it's the best 5.4 they made, it had the improved head so it won't spit the plugs, but doesn't have all the moving parts of variable cam timing :)

Hurst

Try it see how it does, they say it shears down to a 30wt in short order. GC is another idea as it is a thicker 30wt. I think the m1 5w30 HM is a good suggestion too.

It shears in some engines. We'll see if my parents 5.4L shears it here shortly, as dad wants to change it. Will have 8,000Km on it IIRC.

You can get away with using 40wt in an 03 but 04 and newer I would not in anything newer, but romeo engines and 99-03 2v engines 40 is the very thickest I would go.

I really don't feel going to a 40weight is going to cure 3qts being burnt. I would get the the root of the problem instead of covering it up. Check your PCV valve and maybe get a compression test.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
You can get away with using 40wt in an 03 but 04 and newer I would not in anything newer, but romeo engines and 99-03 2v engines 40 is the very thickest I would go.

I really don't feel going to a 40weight is going to cure 3qts being burnt. I would get the the root of the problem instead of covering it up. Check your PCV valve and maybe get a compression test.

thumbsup2.gif

I wasn't saying the 40 weight was going to cure the oil burning, but this truck only burns oil if it is running mobil 1, because we went back to conventional around 60 or 70,000 miles for one oil change it didn't burn hardly any in that interval. I am thinking it is just something with M1 EP oils that make them more easily burned in this engine for some reason? But maybe it's just magnifying an underlying problem. I'll probably put in a new PCV valve too.

Hurst

If you are having consumption only with Mobil 1, stop using Mobil 1. Go back to the Motorcraft synthetic blend, or go to a better synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower. There is no need to go to a thicker oil. A 5W-20 or 5W-30 will suit you just fine.

I am thinking that, but what oil besides M1 EP will be able to withstand 10k mile OCIs? Also, I was wondering if the group IV/V base of 0w40 (only M1 oil I have seen with a group IV/V base that is easily found locally) would be less succeptable to burnoff.

Hurst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back