Mobil 1 0w40 Euro | 2019 VW Golf R | 300 miles

19 GOLF R-231213 (1)-1.jpg

Changed oil very early due to a journal bearing failure on the turbocharger. Engine has about 20k miles on it. Seems like the engine avoided further damage.
The oil pan was resealed at the last oil change, which I assume explains the silicon? I should have paid for a TBN, but it's interesting that it sheared well down into 30 weight this quickly.

Understand your need to change the oil for the work done. In this example the oil still looked ok but the Silicon was getting close to changing anyways so good timing.

it's interesting that it sheared well down into 30 weight this quickly.
The viscosity drop is probably mostly from fuel dilution. It happens very quickly after an oil change, then levels off. That oil would start out with a pretty high flashpoint of ~450 F, so at 410 F, there's a good amount of fuel in it. M1 0W-40 shear-thins quickly as well. A 5W-30 or 5W-40 would hold up better.

View attachment 204368

Changed oil very early due to a journal bearing failure on the turbocharger. Engine has about 20k miles on it. Seems like the engine avoided further damage.
The oil pan was resealed at the last oil change, which I assume explains the silicon? I should have paid for a TBN, but it's interesting that it sheared well down into 30 weight this quickly.

Initial shear is typical. It'll trend back up to a light 40 grade at the end of the interval assuming no large amounts of fuel.

The viscosity drop is probably mostly from fuel dilution. It happens very quickly after an oil change, then levels off. That oil would start out with a pretty high flashpoint of ~450 F, so at 410 F, there's a good amount of fuel in it. M1 0W-40 shear-thins quickly as well. A 5W-30 or 5W-40 would hold up better.
Yes another case of trying to use a Blackstone analysis to determine the cause of a suspected viscosity deviation which isn't possible.

Why not the technical real synthetic approved VAG 504/507 0w/5/w-30 ?

What was in there when the turbo toasted?

When the VW dealer "accidentally on purpose" put the wrong spec/grade oil in my 1.4tsi the turbo spooled up slow at lower rpms making the car a dog around town. Oil temp also went up about 10deg hotter. But that engine was spec'd for VAG 508 00/509 00

Update: the last SDS viewed (14JUN22) shows M1 FS to be approx 35% PAO (cas#68649-12-7) and 45% GTL paraffins (cas#848301-69-9) Not too shabby. It's a new DP chemistry though.

Last edited:
Does not seem right shearing into a low 30 Grade in just 300 miles. I would have them retest.

You won't find a blackstone OA of Mobil 1 0W40 that hasn't sheered down to a 30 grade. Even the VOA is close.

Yes another case of trying to use a Blackstone analysis to determine the cause of a suspected viscosity deviation which isn't possible.
I was using it to verify that there wasn't a reason to tear down the motor due to bearing failure (which was from an oversped turbine). The viscosity is just an interesting side result.

Why not the technical real synthetic approved VAG 504/507 0w/5/w-30 ?

What was in there when the turbo toasted?

When the VW dealer "accidentally on purpose" put the wrong spec/grade oil in my 1.4tsi the turbo spooled up slow at lower rpms making the car a dog around town. Oil temp also went up about 10deg hotter. But that engine was spec'd for VAG 508 00/509 00

Update: the last SDS viewed (14JUN22) shows M1 FS to be approx 35% PAO (cas#68649-12-7) and 45% GTL paraffins (cas#848301-69-9) Not too shabby. It's a new DP chemistry though.
This is the oil that was present when the turbo failed. Slightly older SN+ I think.

I'm not familiar with the 1.4 but the DKFA (2019-2021 GTI with VW 508/0w20) uses the same bearing clearances as my DLRA and older gen3 2.0t engines, but has a modified oil pump gear to provide adequate pressure with 0w20. Mine doesn't, and the manual says VW 502 with 0w40 or 5w40 is acceptable. I usually stick to 40 weights given the use of e85 and a platform with high fuel dilution.

Back