Mobil 1 0w40 dark and gritty in BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Mobil 1 0w40 in my 95 BMW 525i for the past 16,000 or so miles (total of 103,000 miles).I have changed oil and filter (Mann) every 4,000 to 4,500 miles. I have never had the oil stay amber colored for long. It seems to get dark quickly. For example, my current oil has only 2,500 miles and feels a bit gritty when run between my fingers. Car runs fine. Is anything-wrong going on here?

I may be just a bit paranoid. TIA

1995 525iA, M50TU, 1/95 build,103k miles

I think new Mobil1 oils are darker than other new oils for some reasons and BMW engines make oil darker than other engines do for some reasons. I use Mobil1 15W50 in my 740i with 10000km OCI and usually the oil turns really dark just after 1000km. Other than this nothing wrong and the oil really last very long actually.

Welcome to the site !

You might have some engine blowby and the grit could be combustion particulates or the Mobil is slowly cleaning the engine of some previous deposits .... or some of both .

Thats some serious oil your using , I'd stick with it and maybe find a shop local that has a Lubegard Flush machine or just try the do it yourself method with one of their 15 ounce bottles available direct from their website .
Cool n groovy stuff it is
cool.gif

If your fingers can detect a gritty feeling in the oil I would think the oil is _very_ contaminated. Sure, one could say the oil is keeping the solids in suspension, however, that suspended stuff is still circulating everywhere. I don't really know what micron size people are able to 'feel' but it must (?) be in the greater than 30 micron range. From what I have learned here the color is a poor indicator of serviceability. Also, IMHO 16k is way to long for any oil to be in the crankcase without a UOA.

quote:

Originally posted by RJCorazza:

Also, IMHO 16k is way to long for any oil to be in the crankcase without a UOA.

He is changing it at 4-4500 miles .

I dropped some 0w-40 out of a motor a month back and it was yellowish in color quite unlike the other M1's

Since you been running it for 16k miles I'd really think about cleaning the engine hoping to gain some ring seal and try to figure out if or not you have an injector leaking down .

That's strange to hear with an A3 oil. All A3's that I've used take at least 3k mi. to start getting 'darker'. I believe some more history is required. What was used in the car before the 16k with M-1? If the car has 103k, perhaps the 16k is not yet sufficient to 'clean' things out from the previous oil. In either case, you should be able to ramp up to 7.5-10k mi. OCI range once cleaning takes place. 4-5k OCI's is a waste of money when using this oil.

"He is changing it at 4-4500 miles ."

Oops... I read that the filter only was being changed at that interval.

Previously to using Mobil 1 0w40, I used Mobil 1 15w50/mann or mahle filters for about two complete changes in 9,000 miles.

The previously owner used 5w30 and/or 10w30 dino oil/filter whatever the dealer used. The records did not say what brand oil. It just seems to be darking more quickly than my previous changes.

Hi Russell!

welcome.gif

I agree with Motorbike & sprintman:
The M1 is continuing to clean out old crud from the PO's use of dino, & you should run at least a single application of Auto-Rx. M1 is not going to generate those kinds of particulates, but it will start to clean'em out. M1 15W-50 will do nearly as good a job of it as M1 0W-40, & M1 5W-40 should be even better at it.

But just run an application of Auto-Rx & be done with it! That way you can get on to "regular" intervals (10k mi) with either 0W-40 or 15W-50 & not have to worry about it any more.

cheers.gif

More information regarding my situation.
I have used Mobil 1 for 16,000 miles in my BMW 525i. Following is more detail regarding the type of oil and how long it was in the car. All I know is the oil gets dark within 1000 to 1500 miles. It now seems to have a slightly gitty feel when I rub the oil between my fingers afteer about 2,500 miles after the most recent oil/filter change. I just thought any residual sludge would have been flushed out by now. Just a bit concerned.

Mobil 1 15w50 6,000 miles with 2 oil/filter changes
Mobil 1 0w40, 10,000 miles with 2 oil/filter changes

Russ, is it an actual 'sandy grit' feel, or dark carbon suspension on part(s) of the dipstick?

I agree with the cleaning comments....hang in there...not to worry (unless there's something going on with the engine, but it wouldn't be the oil's fault). Perhaps, do an UOA....if you're worried.
cheers.gif

If it actually feels "gritty" between your fingers, than your engine is already gone and might as well sell it while it still runs.

"If it actually feels "gritty" between your fingers, than your engine is already gone and might as well sell it while it still runs."

Dagmando
This seems a bit harsh! The car runs great. No noise at idle or speed, plently of power. Revs smoothly. Get 29 mpg at interstate speeds (epa is 25 highway).

I checked again yesterday after my daily commute (about 30 miles) and the oil felt much smoother. Go figure?

I think as several people have stated, Mobil 1 is still cleaning the engine. I also will do an UOA at Blackstone in a few weeks.

Hi Russell,
I do not post here often but I thought I may be able to offer some comment

I have a MY98 Z3 2.8 manual amongst many other vehicles

A quick and accurate test of the oil is to drop a spot of hot oil from the end of the dipstick onto a good quality blotter. Simply put, it will spread evenly, quickly and cleanly if OK. If it is contaminated a black ring will form near the entry point of the drop.
Post a photo on here for comment if needed

M1 tends to discolour quickly in some engines and BMWs seem prone to this.

M1 0w-40 will do well in your car - I have used that and M1 10w-30 in my Z3.
Delvac 1 5w-40 (M1 SUV 5w-40)will do even better. My Z3's oil is changed annually, off the MBW Service indicator or at 20k kms whichever comes first

Stick with the MANN (BMW) filters they have excellent quality control at manufacture

Regards
Doug
MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5 manual (Delvac 1)
MY98 BMW Z3 2.8 manual (Delvac 1)
MY89 Porsche 928 S4 Auto (Delvac 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back