Mobil 1 0w-40 volatility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently completed the Auto-RX treatment on my car, and filled with Mobil 1 0w-40 on my last change. I'm using more oil than ever! Does anyone have any stats on the new Mobil 1's volatility? I stopped using the TriSynthetic M1 because of its volatility, but I thought they'd licked it with the SuperSyn formulation.

On a related note, I'm seriously considering moving to M1 15w-50 to stem the consumption. How low can I go (temp wise) seeing as it flows better than many conventional 5w-30 oils? I'm in Chicago, and we can see temps below 0.

If you are having high consumption in the short term, I doubt it's the volatility that is the problem. I have 5k on a 0W40 SS interval at the moment and am having less consumption with it than with the 5W30 TS.

Did you run conventional oil after the Auto-RX treatment?

kev99sl,
I put in M1 15W-50 in my 1990 Saab about a month ago, partially for the same reason, & so far I'm doing OK. I'm about an hour north of Denver, & for the entire past week it's been 15-20F at night, & 25-35F during the day. My car's garaged at night, so morning start-up temps are right around 35F, but end-of-the-day-in-the-parking-lot temps have been about 20F, & as long as I can drive at least 10 mi I have no problems. I may have a bit more valve train noise if I let the car sit for more than a day, but it also may just be my imagination. (The engine IS noticeably quieter when running.) I haven't put enough miles/time on it yet to tell how it's doing on consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
If you are having high consumption in the short term, I doubt it's the volatility that is the problem. I have 5k on a 0W40 SS interval at the moment and am having less consumption with it than with the 5W30 TS.

Did you run conventional oil after the Auto-RX treatment?

Yes, I ran conventional oil through the treatment, and in the first change after the treatment. After that, I ran Delvac 1 5w-40, and on this last change, the 0w-40. Could it just need time to "set in?"

If you have not lately try replacing "not cleaning" the PCV Valve and check all hoses or connections to it for tight fit and no cracks in the hoses.

How much oil is it using now? Was it using more oil with the dino oil and the DelVac 1 as well ?

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
If you have not lately try replacing "not cleaning" the PCV Valve and check all hoses or connections to it for tight fit and no cracks in the hoses.

How much oil is it using now? Was it using more oil with the dino oil and the DelVac 1 as well ?

I replaced the PCV right before the last oil change.

It used more with the conventional and the Delvac 1 as well, but I haven't kept exact records since I assumed it was still "stabilizing" after the Auto-RX. The Mobil 1 definitely seems to be going away much more quickly -- about half a quart in 700 miles.

[ November 05, 2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: kev99sl ]

These Saturn engines consume oil mainly from leaks past the valve stem seals and oil control rings. The evaporation rate of the oil has little to do with how fast it burns. Going to a thicker oil should reduce this somewhat, but the lasting solution is to replace the valve stem seals and quite possibly the rings.

As I recall, Saturn recommends a 5w-30 for this OHC engine, so going to a 15w-50 with colder weather coming up doesn't seem like a good idea. I think I'd stick with the 0w-40 and give it some more time.

On the plus side, if you are adding a qt of Mobil 1 every 1500 miles, you are basically doing a continual oil change in this engine. You can simply change oil filters every 7500 miles/6 months and analyze the oil once a year. You may in fact be able to run the same oil in the crankcase for 20k-30k miles, since you are diluting any contaminents and replenishing the additive chemistry.

Dragboat: No pinging since cleaning with the Auto-RX. In fact, I had been using 89 octane to avoid pinging, and am now able to use the recommended 87 octane once again.

TooSlick: I replaced the valve stem seals at 100,000 miles because I was beginning to see oil burning in earnest then. It had no appreciable effect.

That's the other issue I probably should have mentioned: My '99 just turned over to 150,000 miles! (That may inspire some of you to throw your shoe at me and yell at me for even complaining.) But these have been very easy miles -- not stop and go, and not pushed to redline on the highway; mostly right where you'd want to be as far as ideal driving. It's also had a steady diet of Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Delvac 1 since break-in. My concern is the sudden increase in consumption over the last 50,000 of those miles. I guess the problem is clearly worn -- not stuck -- piston rings. Still, I don't plan on doing any invasive surgery any time soon. I'd rather try to control the consumption and keep the engine as clean as I can until I get to some absurd rate, like a quart every 500 miles.

You might check with Frank.

I've seen recommendations to put 2 oz of RX as a "maintenance dose" in with your oil. Maybe bump it to 3 or 4 for your engine.

Is the motor detonating? Even the slightest ping?Often it is hard to hear but will still increase combustion pressures the rings cannot take making for a oil burner if the ring lands are wore and the rings themselves are fretted. I am aware of the Saturn problem but this could make the consumption problem worse if pinging.

A slick oil with bad rings/seal is not a good recipe especially if detonating or preigniting either one

[ November 05, 2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Kev, if it's any consolation, I'm using M-1 15-50 for the first time all year this year and winter coming up here in Toronto. My owner's manual specifies 15-50 good down to -4F (-20C), so I'll give it a go. The reason may be because my car has 2 batteries and a seriously heavy duty bosch starter and alternator, so far 28F last week sitting outside all night hasn't been a problem.

sorry to say, but if you think it's the rings I'd say it's time for cheaper oil. The dreaded wear has already happened.

Do a compression test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back