Mobil 1 0W-40 or BMW 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I really want to use GC 0W-30 for my next oil change this Wed. for the BMW, I can't find it, even at the local Autozone. They have a Castrol Syntec 0W-30 but the back says made in USA using imported components. So from what I've read this is not the GC.

I've been reviewing the UOA forum and this regarding these 3 oils others. And although i don't know alot about oil, it seems like the general belief is that Mobil 1 0W40 is not as shear stable as some think it should be. The UOAs also seem to suggest that BMW oil really sholdn't be in the engine for 10-15k miles (although I think there were a few UOAs that may suggest otherwise).

I would like to use a full synthetic with an A3 rating for the next change. What do the oil gurus here suggest. I have thought about the Mobile 5W40 SUV/truck oil, but that does not have the A3 ratings, etc. As a novice that gives me some concern, maybe it shouldn't??
dunno.gif

Thanks for the help.

Opps, should be BMW 5W-30. Sorry.

[ May 22, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: first5ny ]

quote:

Originally posted by first5ny:
I would like to use a full synthetic with an A3 rating for the next change.

Well, some people may think M1 0w40 isn't shear stable, but "BMW" / Castrol 5w30 ain't synethetic. It's Group 3 TXT Softec.

'98 528
quote:

Well, some people may think M1 0w40 isn't shear stable, but "BMW" / Castrol 5w30 ain't synethetic. It's Group 3 TXT Softec.

I agree. I am simply interested in using the "better" of the 2 oils.

First5ny, I changed the oil last week
in my BMW and used 4 litres of 10w30
and 2 litres of 15w50. This mixture
will give you a A3 rated oil. I would
not use any 0w30 oil except in winter.

2KBMW,

Do you change that mixture out for the winter? It seems like it would be a little too thick for your winters.

BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 is only available at BMW dealers. The official list price is $3.80 / quart, but you will probably get ripped off and pay more. It's a great deal if you can find it at that price.

I switched to M1 0W-40 simply because I was tired of going to the dealer and buying it. To date I can't tell any performance difference.

Probably the useful life of the BMW stuff is no more than 8,000 miles, so if you change at the midpoint of your service interval indicator you'll be in great shape.

I'd probably use the M1 0w40. Back when the E46 first came out, the manual called for 5w40. Then BMW changed their oil marketing deal from Valvoline to Castrol, and the recommended viscosity suddenly became 5w30. Mind you, the engine did not change. I find it hard to believe that this engine wouldn't like a 40 weight. Then again, the German Castrol 0w30 would be very good also, if you can find it. I think they're both BMW LL01 certified.

However, there's nothing wrong with the BMW label stuff either, and your likely to be at the dealer anyway to pick up the filter.

I just wouldn't leave any of it in the 15K miles the maintenance computer usually recommends.

First5ny, I will probably change this
Mobil mixture before winter. I store my
car so if I do start it, it will always
be above freezing anyway. I cannot find
Mobil 0w40 in Canada.

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
First5ny, I will probably change this
Mobil mixture before winter. I store my
car so if I do start it, it will always
be above freezing anyway. I cannot find
Mobil 0w40 in Canada.

A place called Noco, in Etobicoke, sells the M1 0w40. I think you might be able to special order it from Canadian Tire as well, although I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Hey Patman. Where is this NOCO in
Etobicoke and how much do they sell
the 0w40 for? It might be too
expensive just like the castrol 5w40
I'm seeing at Cdn. Tire stores now.

quote:

Originally posted by JDG33:
BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 is only available at BMW dealers. The official list price is $3.80 / quart, but you will probably get ripped off and pay more. It's a great deal if you can find it at that price.

I switched to M1 0W-40 simply because I was tired of going to the dealer and buying it. To date I can't tell any performance difference.

Probably the useful life of the BMW stuff is no more than 8,000 miles, so if you change at the midpoint of your service interval indicator you'll be in great shape.

I just had this discussion with my Mechanic on friday. They are a good independent shop that uses the BMW 5w-30. He said they recommend to customers to change at 7500 miles, which puts them just about at the midpoint between service intervals. He commented that the cars they see with 100,000+ miles where people have insisted on sticking to the BMW recommended 15,000 mile changes sound like they have marbles in the head because the valvtrain makes so much noise. I know that the oil analysis we have seen on the BMW oil shows that it seem to make it to about 10,000 fine but peters out before 15,000.

Cary

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
Hey Patman. Where is this NOCO in
Etobicoke and how much do they sell
the 0w40 for? It might be too
expensive just like the castrol 5w40
I'm seeing at Cdn. Tire stores now.

I believe this is their address:

NOCO Lubricants Canada, Inc.
2 Bradpenn Road
Toronto, Ontario M8Z 5S9
(800) 414-NOCO
(416) 201-9880 Fax
Email: [email protected]

I heard they sell the 0w40 for a little bit over $7 per liter, so it's not a bad price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back