Mobil 1 0W-40 (new API SM version) VOA (Blackstone Labs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Molekule wrote: Most everyone, not just EXM, is using the new boronated succinimide ester dispersant.

Does this mean that the Boron on most oil analyses is a dispersant and not an anti wear additive?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Thanks Stinky. Looks like the Mobil 1 0w-40 is just fine then.
grin.gif
BLK Labs has been very incosistent lately.

Please explain this if you would. I've used Blackstone the last few times and was planning to use them again, but if they're having some issues right now...
Who do you recommend for UOA's?

offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:

quote:

Thanks Stinky. Looks like the Mobil 1 0w-40 is just fine then.
grin.gif
BLK Labs has been very incosistent lately.

Please explain this if you would. I've used Blackstone the last few times and was planning to use them again, but if they're having some issues right now...
Who do you recommend for UOA's?

I worked with Blackstone on a recent VOA of PZ HM. Their runs were consistent. Buster's and many other's comments were made prior to us pinning down the fact that things have changed quickly in the world of analysis given the SM specification.

In fact, Blackstone re-ran the test with their own $$ and time involved, it all came up quite consistent. Not to say there are never errors and such, but Blackstone has has felt the most heat here due to most people using them here at BITOG, and the fact they're a site sponsor.

Given the SM changeover is now fully in our novice minds (well, except for Terry, Mola, etc
wink.gif
) we realize Blackstone wasn't the culprit to begin with.

BlackStone recently got a new spectro analyzer so all of the stuff they have previously done is going to be different then on the new equipment! I am glad they got new equipment!

Given that M1 0W-40 (SL) is about the only "diesel looking" add package in a CF-4 or under synthetic, what are us Nissan Diesel owners going to use now to meet warranty requirement ?

Marketing.
frown.gif
It's easier to have X% more Supersyn additive in the EP formula if you have less in the "regular" SM formula. Could it be this simple?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Marketing.
frown.gif
It's easier to have X% more Supersyn additive in the EP formula if you have less in the "regular" SM formula. Could it be this simple?
dunno.gif

Yes, an old saying isn't it.

Figures don't lie but liars figure...

I was told 50% more SuperSyn then GF-3 M1. Do I believe that? Maybe, but time will tell. For a large oil maker to garantee 15,000 miles, I'm pretty sure they made this oil tough enough.

quote:

I was told 50% more SuperSyn then GF-3 M1. Do I believe that? Maybe, but time will tell. For a large oil maker to garantee 15,000 miles, I'm pretty sure they made this oil tough enough.

I'm sure it's good oil and I intend to try the 5W-30 on my next change since it looks like M1R is no longer a production item. Marketing people just make me red faced. I hate needing to parse everything they say...

quote:

Marketing people just make me red faced

I know what your saying. I too don't like the marketing of Mobil lately. SUV oil started it. Actually the "High Mileage" 10w-30 synthetic did. I think the marketing works bc their are so many dumb people out their that fall for it. So when Mobil sits sid by side on the shelf to Valvoline (talk about marketing BS), they probably have to conform to this, at some level, to compete.

Even though I'm not a RL fan, I think that product is marketed extremely well. Very professional website. The endorsements they have say it all. No need for 4-Ball wear tests and other comparisons. Very well done.

So if you have to choose between this SM M1 0w-40 or their 5w-30/10w-30 EP, which one would you choose? I would have picked the 10w-40 EP but it seems like it is no sold on Earth. 15w-50 EP is just too thick for my daily commuter WRX.

I guess you could mix up some 5w30 EP and 15w50 EP to get something close to the SL 0w40.

Guys, haven't we learned yet that a VOA of an oil isn't the holy grail?

Man, sometimes it seems we can't see the forest through the trees.
wink.gif

Darryl

Hmmm I am glad I have 4 cases of SL 0W-40 sitting in my garage. Enough to lube my Passat for the next 100k kms on 8k km OCI's.

This looks good to me. Even though everything is down I'm kinda happy. There's a study done that shows that the anti-wear additives Zinc and Phosporous are actually really bad for the aluminum friction surfaces in the engines. Something about them being harder than the metal itself. Since I have an aluminum oil pump housing I'm going to go buy 5 quarts for my winter oil change.
grin.gif

Doesn't much look like $5 per quart oil anymore does it. Maybe $3.50...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That about sums it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back