MMO useage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so now both of my vehicles currently have 16oz of MMO in the gas tank & 16oz in the crank case...we will see how it goes. One MMO fill is paired with HM Pennzoil and the other is paired with HDEO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
16 oz in the gas is a lot, why so much?

Exactly. I only put in 3oz per 10gal in the gas. I'm now using a "maintenance dose" of 16oz in the crankcase on my winter beater and the hemi gets unadulterated PP 5W-20.

ahhh i want some cleaning/cold start benefit for winter coming, and I have "heard" that using a large done of MMO in the tank is good for your fuel pump...One of my vehicles has a "flaky" fuel sending unit and some have reported it being "freed" from the use of a whole bottle of MMO in the tank.

Also it was just easy to get QT bottles and split them in half :)

Note: both vehicles have 20-something gallon tanks and I of course topped the gas off at the time of putting in the MMO in the tanks

I've had MMO free up gas tank sticking floats, with a shock treatment. I would suggest once you complete the run with the OD of MMO in the gas go back to the suggested amount. You will hurt mpgs with too much MMO. As a side note in the winter I like to go from the 4 ounce/10 gallon dose to 5 ounces. I think a top lube has a lot of benefits, expecially during the winter.

Exactly, unless he's trying a shock treatment to free up a float or something like that. Otherwise the suggested dose is a good idea. I up mine slightly for the winter, but it is far from a shock treatment.

I've used a whole quart before on this thing LOL...it was suggested as having fixed someone else's ride so I tried it...it did not work, but seemed to "lessen" the frequency of the issue. So I am giving it another whirl but this time using half as much.

Also, I have decided to remove the oil filter (1/2 qt filter) and add another 16oz for winter in my 4x4. It should get me close but just under a qt total in the crank case. I am only gonna run it about 2k miles like that or until spring (which ever comes 1st).

I got around to changing the valve cover gasket on my winter beater (96 Jetta 2.0L 5sp with 105K miles on it) this weekend. Other than a light yellow varnish on things, it was pretty spotless inside.

This is pretty amazing since there was a fair amount of carp in there when I got the car. I rescued it from my folks a couple of months ago when a "generous" dealer was going to give them $500 for it. I stuck my finger into the oil fill hole at that time and was able to scoop out some goo from the inside of the valve cover so I knew it needed some attention.

My recipe was this:

1. It was almost a quart low on oil so I topped up the existing oil with 1QT of MMO.
2. I drove it around for about 2 weeks like that and put about 700-800 highway miles on it.
3. Dumped the oil/filter and replaced it with Valvoline 15W-40 + 16oz of MMO and drove about 3000 miles.

That's when I replaced the gasket and noticed how clean it was inside. The only evidence of sludge was a slight buildup on some of the nooks on the inside of the cover itself. That wiped right off with rag. I cut open the Wix filter and didn't notice any "chunks", but the filter media was pretty uniformly covered in oily goo that was about the consistency of jello. I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out.

It's now running Rotella 5W-40 synthetic + 8oz MMO. On the next go round, I'll probably skip the MMO altogether. Next project, replace the leaking exhaust downpipe .

Best,

I am running a full OCI(5-7,000 miles)with a Qt of MMO in my Sebring convertible.

I also went on a trip from Michigan to Tennessee for Thanksgiving and I am running the 4 oz or so of MMO in the fuel to try it out. I averaged 33.2 on the way down. Great for a big car like the Camry.

I think a top lube has a lot of benefits, expecially during the winter.

I think you're right! I just put in 2 oz or MMO and about 2 oz of Acetone in the tank, and now it seems run perfectly smooth and even in the cold, better than it does in summer weather.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
I think a top lube has a lot of benefits, expecially during the winter.

I think you're right! I just put in 2 oz or MMO and about 2 oz of Acetone in the tank, and now it seems run perfectly smooth and even in the cold, better than it does in summer weather.

Acetone? You spilled some nail polish in the tank that needs removing? LOL

I had an almost empty can of acetone that I thought I'd get rid of. According to some, acetone lowers the surface tension of the fuel and makes it more combustible, or something like that, so that the injector sprays the fuel better and it raises the fuel economy. I do notice that untreated fuel's winter combustion seems worse than what one would get on a warm day, so, if you're going to add anything to the fuel to get a cleaner burn, I figure winter is the time to do it; BTW, wouldn't be a bad time for ethanol rich fuel brands too, like 10% even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back