MMO + Use Thicker Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you run 10W30 in a 6 quart sump and wanted to substitute 1 quart of oil with 1 quart of MMO (17%) would you go up a grade (i.e. 10W40) for a 3,000 mile OCI ? I already have 5 quarts of the 10W30 on hand but if it's a big deal I could buy 10W40 for just one OCI to add to the MMO... Your thoughts ?

I'm running MMO with the recommended 10W-30 in my Firebird. It's a thicker 10W-30 anyways, so I'm not worried about it thinning it a bit. No difference at all when compared to the Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 I tried before it.

You can, but I wouldn't. MMO is notorious for burning off/ evaporating. My car doesn't leak. And even when I add MMO I'm normally a quart low after 500 miles. I wouldn't personally worry about it since it doesn't stay low then ultimately what your left with is a heavier weight of oil.

Its up to you really

500 miles of thinner oil or a OCI with heavier oil.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
You can, but I wouldn't. MMO is notorious for burning off/ evaporating. My car doesn't leak. And even when I add MMO I'm normally a quart low after 500 miles. I wouldn't personally worry about it since it doesn't stay low then ultimately what your left with is a heavier weight of oil.

Its up to you really

I have MMO in the crankcase of the GP for the first time. I started out with 4 qt of 10W-30 Valvoline MaxLife NextGen (on the thick side of a 30 weight) and 0.5 qt MMO because of concerns of thinning the oil out too much. The oil level was 0.5 qt low pretty quickly, I topped off with another 0.5 qt MMO and all subsequent top offs will be with the Valvoline.

I used to run 1 quart of a grade thicker oil with MMO(ie 3qts 5w30/1qt 10w40), but that's a bit of a hassle unless you already have it. I wouldn't worry about at all, it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Its up to you really

I have MMO in the crankcase of the GP for the first time. I started out with 4 qt of 10W-30 Valvoline MaxLife NextGen (on the thick side of a 30 weight) and 0.5 qt MMO because of concerns of thinning the oil out too much. The oil level was 0.5 qt low pretty quickly, I topped off with another 0.5 qt MMO and all subsequent top offs will be with the Valvoline.

what is even the benefit of MMO? I mean if it is for "cleaning" how much cleaning will it after being burned off in only 500 miles...

If you think you have to use MMO for engine cleaning, why don't you just use it as a flush before an oil change and then dump all the crud at once?
confused2.gif

Flush = addition of the cleaning fluid + run at idle for 15 minutes, and then drain.

That way, you don't have to worry about thinning your oil while driving!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If you think you have to use MMO for engine cleaning, why don't you just use it as a flush before an oil change and then dump all the crud at once?
confused2.gif

Flush = addition of the cleaning fluid + run at idle for 15 minutes, and then drain.

That way, you don't have to worry about thinning your oil while driving!

No disrespect intended.
smile.gif
A 15 minute flush with MMO will do very little or nothing at all. If he's concerned my suggestion would be use a 15 minute flush, as you stated. It is much stronger and designed to work in 15 minutes. Or run the MMO according to their directions and keep an eye on the oil level. Top up as needed with oil.

Thanks ... A new (to me) used vehicle with average care / OCI's most likely before . Just want to run one OCI with some MMO to clean and free up the engine a bit - then use my regular oil . With Fall approaching I hope to be ok with Pennzoil 10W30 if it is on the thicker side (?) of a 30W.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Thanks ... A new (to me) used vehicle with average care / OCI's most likely before . Just want to run one OCI with some MMO to clean and free up the engine a bit - then use my regular oil . With Fall approaching I hope to be ok with Pennzoil 10W30 if it is on the thicker side (?) of a 30W.

When I've used MMO I found using it during the colder months of the year gave me the advantage of easier cold weather starts. The engine turns over easier with the MMO. So I did my engine cleanings during the winter. If I were you and I was concerned about it thinning the oil too much I'd use it during the winter. Also take a look at the UOA section, there are a few UOA's with MMO added to the oil, check them out.

Yeah, I think a flush (like Amsoil or Lubegard) should be used as a flush and MMO and Kreen should be used as they are supposed to be used. It is probably better to use MMO in colder weather.

I use it with whatever oil weight I am currently running in the motor and wouldn't ever go out of my way to use a thicker oil. 20% MMO is not going to "thin" it out that bad, or evaporate into thin air for that matter... Some people act like it turns your oil into water,
smirk.gif
but it doesn't. I run it in the crankcase for the whole OCI,and haven't ever had my engine blow up due to lack of viscosity. Keep calm and marvel on.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
I use it with whatever oil weight I am currently running in the motor and wouldn't ever go out of my way to use a thicker oil. 20% MMO is not going to "thin" it out that bad, or evaporate into thin air for that matter... Some people act like it turns your oil into water,
smirk.gif
but it doesn't. I run it in the crankcase for the whole OCI,and haven't ever had my engine blow up due to lack of viscosity. Keep calm and marvel on.
cool.gif

No one said it was going to evaporate into thin air.

It is a fact that the three volatile components in MMO will evaporate after heating up while driving. When that occurs, no more cleaning results, which is why some people suggest using it as a flush.

As a flush, you never allow enough time for the volatile components to flash-off, which is the main function of a flush that contains volatile hydrocarbon components.

Last edited:
smirk.gif
cool.gif

It is a fact that the three volatile components in MMO will evaporate after heating up while driving. When that occurs, no more cleaning results, which is why some people suggest using it as a flush.

As a flush, you never allow enough time for the volatile components to flash-off, which is the main function of a flush that contains volatile hydrocarbon components.

I've used it in a 6 qt. sump. 5 qts. of oil 1 qt. MMO and ran it an entire winter 3000-4000 miles several times over the years in various 300 I6 Ford engines, and never had to top up. I used it in Chevy I6's, Chevy 350's, Chrysler 318, Ford 302, at a rate of 4 qts of oil 1 qt. MMO with similar results. My Ford 200 I6 I did have to top up though. There are cases where people have to top up, but I wouldn't call that the norm though. At least in my experience with it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
smirk.gif
cool.gif

I've used it in a 6 qt. sump. 5 qts. of oil 1 qt. MMO and ran it an entire winter 3000-4000 miles several times over the years in various 300 I6 Ford engines, and never had to top up.

^This. Molakule I am not arguing your priniciple and logic, Im just trying to dispel the idea that MMO will evaporate so much so that you will have to top it off. I have never had that happen in any of the vehicles I maintain. If 6 quarts goes in, 6 quarts come out (- what the filter holds obviously.) Actually, more than that comes out because I use 5 minute motor flush every oil change, and I measure what goes in and what comes out down to the milliliter.

I will mirror what Demarpaint has said. I added a little over 1/2 qt of MMO to my last oil change in my Sable (3.0 Duratec), along with 4.5 qt of 5w30 Valv. ML conv. Didn't have to top up, and I'm a little over 4k miles on it. I'll be changing the oil this weekend.

This is on about 95% highway driving @ 65-75MPH in Phoenix summer weather.

I will say this however, to the OP. MMO doesn't thicken your oil - it thins it, slightly. My car specs 5w20 oil, and so I used 5w30 as my oil fill. I remember reading somewhere that MMO is basically a 10 weight oil, so with my fill, I'm looking at a final weight of roughly 5.5w-28.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I will mirror what Demarpaint has said. I added a little over 1/2 qt of MMO to my last oil change in my Sable (3.0 Duratec), along with 4.5 qt of 5w30 Valv. ML conv. Didn't have to top up, and I'm a little over 4k miles on it. I'll be changing the oil this weekend.

This is on about 95% highway driving @ 65-75MPH in Phoenix summer weather.

I will say this however, to the OP. MMO doesn't thicken your oil - it thins it, slightly. My car specs 5w20 oil, and so I used 5w30 as my oil fill. I remember reading somewhere that MMO is basically a 10 weight oil, so with my fill, I'm looking at a final weight of roughly 5.5w-28.

MMO is a 2.3 cSt@100C oil out of the can/bottle.

Analysis of MMO

That means it is way thinner than an SAE 5 weight engine oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back