MMO test from “Ford boss me” on you tube

Not sure what MMO would do different in the oil cleaning versus running a name brand synthetic oil (D1 / Gen 2 , SP) rated oil ?

Not sure what MMO would do different in the oil cleaning versus running a name brand synthetic oil (D1 / Gen 2 , SP) rated oil ?
In a well maintained engine that lives on D1/Gen2, SP oils with proper intervals? Nothing. But in a neglected engine, such as the one from video or many others that had a hard life? That's where Dexos oils stand no chance against MMO mile-for-mile. As in - in a neglected engine you will notice improvements taking place as you drive, usually within first few hundred miles. While any Dexos oils or even Euro oils (that are known to be great at clean-up) will take tens of thousands of miles to achieve same results.

Last edited:
That stuff should not go into any engine made in the last 20 years.

Have you not read about chlorinated hydrocarbons? Not good to have in combination with a modern oil blend.

The stuff of all those snake oil Motor additives in a can that are all gone from the market now.
I want to love the stuff too . it is lovable - and it smells AWESOME. But my Right hand pulls back my Left from
Dumping The Red Can in to the 710 hole

That stuff should not go into any engine made in the last 20 years.

Have you not read about chlorinated hydrocarbons? Not good to have in combination with a modern oil blend.

The stuff of all those snake oil Motor additives in a can that are all gone from the market now.
I want to love the stuff too . it is lovable - and it smells AWESOME. But my Right hand pulls back my Left from
Dumping The Red Can in to the 710 hole

I have not read about chlorinated hydrocarbons and doubt I'd understand it if I did. Care to elaborate in layman's terms?

Chlorinated hydrocarbons can coat the insides, and because its acidic can cause sludge to form.

I am not sure if mmo has chlorinated hydrocarbons , but chlorinated hydrocarbons are used to reduce friction.

Chlorinated hydrocarbons can coat the insides, and because its acidic can cause sludge to form.

I am not sure if mmo has chlorinated hydrocarbons , but chlorinated hydrocarbons are used to reduce friction.
MMO does have chlorinated hydrocarbons, but this one is the type for cleaning only, not for friction modification.

There are many types of chlorinated hydrocarbon chemistry and each has a specific application.

MMO was designed to scavenge lead from combustion chambers when fuels contained TEL and when PCMO's did not possess the detergents found in modern engine oils. I do not see any use for it today.

Last edited:
MMO does have chlorinated hydrocarbons, but this one is the type for cleaning only, not for friction modification.

There are many types of chlorinated hydrocarbon chemistry and each has a specific application.

MMO was designed to scavenge lead from combustion chambers when fuels contained TEL and when PCMO's did not possess the detergents found in modern engine oils. I do not see any use for it today.
yes correct

Last edited by a moderator:

What do you make of the video? The truck in question is a 2001 so it hasn’t run leaded fuel and it has been presumably running pretty modern oil. To me, it appears either the new oil or the MMO knocked some crud loose.

I generally do not watch these videos because I do not Know if all of the information has been presented, or was there just enough information presented to bias the viewer.

If the picture is one of a cut open filter from this truck, then obviously it did its job, but I suspect there is more crud in the engine.

You can run a modern oil but if it is not changed periodically, no oil can prevent abuse and carbon build up.

No doubt there was some cleaning going on there. It would have been awesome if he cut open the filter used before the MMO treatment for comparison. I would expect to see crud in the next filter too, but that wouldn't be as telling as a filter cut open one OCI prior to the MMO treatment for a side by side.

Hello Mola: I have the highest respect for your knowledge and contributions over the years, however I believe the chlorinated part of any and all engine additives was removed by the EPA effective 1/1/2017.

Thanks Steve,
I found my original posting here

and it was July 31st, 2014, 7 years ago (my how time passes).

So if anyone has a new comprehensive laboratory analysis (Not a simple Blackstone Type analysis) then we can determine if chlorinated compounds have indeed been removed.

However, their latest SDS still shows dichlorobenzene compounds.

Last edited:
Back