MMO...Opinions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sunfire
No Zinc? Why is there no zinc?

MMO's phosphorous is not from zddp, it is Tricresyl phosphate (TCP)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricresyl_phosphate

TCP is a very, very good anti-wear/EP agent and solvent.

This is the ingredient that causes the requirement for it to be shipped ground as well and why some countries no longer allow it's use.

While the original TCP is a neurotoxin, later variation have reduced the component that have this effect.

BTW - most other VOAs show this to be in the 850-900 ppm range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
BlackstoneMarvelMysteryOilReport.jpg

This is why I thought it was closer to a 10wt. oil.
laugh.gif

Where's the boron? Didn't it used to have boron?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1720946#Post1720946

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Not sure why, I would never use MMO, I think it 83% kerosene from the reasearch I have done.

I don't think you are correct about that. Use google to search BITOG.com. This what I have found:

Quote:
70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)

29% Mineral Spirits

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron

900 ppm Phosporous

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent

Red Dye - for the color

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1279933

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8

This is the ingredient that causes the requirement for it to be shipped ground as well and why some countries no longer allow it's use.

While the original TCP is a neurotoxin, later variation have reduced the component that have this effect.

Right, I was thinking zddp. Didn't realize there were other phosphorous AW additives out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8

TCP is a good EP additive but a terrible anti-wear agent. It is not active at the pressures and temperatures in engines. Replacing ZDDP with TCP in a new flat tappet engine will cause catastrophic failure in a few hundred miles.

I watched the lobes come off my Honda engine, using TCP as the phosphorus source, in my test cell at Exxon Research.

We analyized MMO multiple times at Exxon and always seemed to have a different composition. It always had 65-69% baseoil, 26-29% mineral spirits, red dye and wintergreeen fragrance but at different times it has had TCP, dichlorobenzene and 1-2% other solvents.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Edward Kollin
We analyized MMO multiple times at Exxon and always seemed to have a different composition. It always had 65-69% baseoil, 26-29% mineral spirits, red dye and wintergreeen fragrance but at different times it has had TCP, dichlorobenzene and 1-2% other solvents.

Ed

Thanks for the Info, the product is a MYSTERY, but it does seem to work. JMO

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
Originally Posted By: Edward Kollin

Ed

Thanks for the Info, the product is a MYSTERY, but it does seem to work. JMO
oh heck, I knew something was wrong, that wintergreen n my coffee was upseting to say the least.lol

I ran 20% MMO in my oil for one change recently (posted the UOA about 2 months ago) and can say that the more volatile components of MMO definitely burn off. The end result is that one doesn't necessarily need to go up a grade with the oil to make sure the mixture is appropriate for the engine.

In an engine spec'd for a 30 grade, I'd try to find a thick 30 like GC or Rotella T5 10w30 to mix with the MMO. You could also use a thin 40 I suppose, but the Rotella T 15w40 I used was unnecessarily thick as the end mixture was still a 40 grade. Fuel economy suffered noticeably, especially after some time went by for the MMO volatiles to go poof.

^I had a similar experience, though my end range was between 30/40; I used M1 0w30 as a carrier Quart of sorts with 2 Qts of T6. The fuel mileage did suffer compared to the straight Amsoil run. The trade off? I knew this would happen and did it for the purpose of cleaning/observations.

Our pushmower had been sitting for several years. Dad tried starting but it wouldn't run. I dumped some MMO in the gas and it fired right up.

Proof! I am currently using MMO right now in my oil and gas. It's summer in Cali about 96 degrees sometime. I drive to work and back with no problem running 10w30. 2k miles so far.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
Proof! I am currently using MMO right now in my oil and gas. It's summer in Cali about 96 degrees sometime. I drive to work and back with no problem running 10w30. 2k miles so far.

I am currently running 5W-30 with some MMO in my oil, actually running 16 ounces of MMO in my oil, I drive the car easy, if I was driving the car hard, then I would probably skip the MMO during the SUMMERTIME.

I was originally interested in MMO as an oil additive, but over time I'm shifting towards it actually being a better fuel additive.

I do plan to continue to experiment with it in oil though.

What do I know about Marvel Mystery Oil? Well, it has been around a very long time-since something like the 1920s. I think the formula has changed somewhat during that time. I heard that it was used in B-17 bombers crossing the Atlantic Ocean in World War II (in the fuel). It can be used either in the fuel or the oil.

I know that a guy I respect a lot here has been using it for decades. And I know that it is cheap and readily available. I can buy it at Wal-Mart.

It is a cheap experiment. Just don't use too much and maybe winter is the best time to use it in case it thins the oil somewhat. As long as somebody does not put too much in I think it is safe. If it works like it is supposed to, it is a lot cheaper than some other cleaners.

Originally Posted By: jacobs
Don't ever Google MSDS and Marvel Mystery Oil. It really isn't a mystery!

No Mystery at all. It was posted before.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

Yes! And I use it all the time in my gas and oil. Great product and I'll use it for many many more years. I even add it to the diesel fuel in my tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back