MMO & Oil Colour Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been using MMO at the prescribed dose listed on the bottle. I have only added it to my fuel tank and not to the oil.

It has been almost 2K KM since it has been added on this oil and the oil is turning a dark brown colour. Usually my oil stays a light golden colour from the first few hundred KM's on fresh oil right through to the change 10-15K KM later.

I'm not worried that it's doing "bad things" to the oil but I wanted to know if it's the MMO causing it or if it's some other anomaly.

I don't believe its doing any cleaning because I have run 2 ARX clean/rinse cycles shortly before this and was using a fuel system cleaner additive consecutively for over 75K KM.

I have not used MMO in my oil, but have used it as an alternative to ARX in friend's vehicles when they were not willing to pay the price.

When added to engine oil, it does have the tendency to make the oil darker than usual...sort of like a caramel colour. I don't know if this has anything to do with the red dye they use, or if it's letting loose contamination. Nevertheless, nothing to worry about.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any gain in gas mileage with MMO ?

Not at first but now I have seemed to of picked up 50-75KM per tank. My tank is 72 litres. I checked this using my scan gauge over multiple tanks of fuel. I don't pay for my gas, my employer does but I like the MMO because the engine and injectors are so quiet and smooth running.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: hpichris
Oh man. Your engine is going to blow. Now what are you going to do with that large stash of oil.......hmm....

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I have not used MMO in my oil, but have used it as an alternative to ARX in friend's vehicles when they were not willing to pay the price.

When added to engine oil, it does have the tendency to make the oil darker than usual...sort of like a caramel colour. I don't know if this has anything to do with the red dye they use, or if it's letting loose contamination. Nevertheless, nothing to worry about.
thumbsup2.gif

I figured that it's probablly just ending up in the oil via the combustion process and that's why the oil is changing colour. When I was using Lucas UCL in the fuel it changed the colour of the oil as well.

I will be doing a UOA at 15K KM to see how the Amsoil, Shell fuel and MMO all are working together.
grin2.gif

It does have the tendency to turn oil darker if used in the fuel line as well actually. I'll snap a picture of what it looks like on the dipstick to compare. Obviously it won't be perfect, factoring in lighting, monitor settings, etc. but should give a brief idea.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any gain in gas mileage with MMO ?

um do a search in the add forum...

I have used MMO for over 25 years it does what the bottle says its good stuff i have seen it quiet noisy lifters too many times to mention i use it in my gas on all my engines including my lawn mower and my snow blower which by the way my Dad got in 1966 still going strong and i have a lot of hours on that one pennzoil 30 weight all the time and mmo mixed with the gas..

Pay special attention to your engines normal noises and then add some to your next fill up and within minutes it will start to sound much quieter. I couldn't believe it, I had to do it a couple of times to be sure it was the additive.

I like the MMO stuff a lot and I'm alternating between this and my regular fuel system cleaner/UCL on fill-ups to keep the fuel system clean and lubricated.

The engine has never performed better. I just wish I could buy MMO in my area of Canada but it doesn't seem to be carried up here anymore.

Gonna have to get me the big jugs next time I'm across the border.
34.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
So I have been using MMO at the prescribed dose listed on the bottle. I have only added it to my fuel tank and not to the oil.

Yup!

I never follow the directions - I just squeeze the bottle and put a 1/4 quart of MMO per vehicle before a nice high rpm drive.

-A

Must be just me, but I also use MMO, but do not follow the 4oz per 10 gallon rule as my Xterra does not like having 6-8oz of it in the tank. I run 4oz per tank full. I did notice an MPG increase(slight), noticed the engine running quieter and smoother(no, its not a placebo effect).

Fuel only, I wouldn't add it to my oil, smells great though(mmmm minty!!!)

*splashes some around his neck and goes for a night on the town
LOL.gif

I read, and can't remember where, that MMO engineers stated that MMO shows progressive benefits up to using 10oz (but I can't remember if that was per 10gal or 20gal). And then things digress after 10oz.

I'm an MMO and Neutra 131 user. Personally, I would go with Schaeffers Neutra (I get it in gallon jugs (~$16) - and don't pay shipping since I have local dist. ctr). I think you'll get better efficacy from Neutra in the tank (and in the crank case). Schaeffers markets it for both - it's a fuel system lubricant, removes carbon deposits from pistons valves, and cleans injectors. In the crankcase, it's a 500 mile slow cleaner (to be used in the last 500 miles of an OCI). So it's less agressive that (eg) Seafoam, but slightly more aggressive than AR-x.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
Thanks for the awesome reply...I realize that I could have just read your original post properly but that would be to much work.
LOL.gif
I thought I would be a bit sassy and post my original post. Glad you took it the right way.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Must be just me, but I also use MMO, but do not follow the 4oz per 10 gallon rule as my Xterra does not like having 6-8oz of it in the tank. I run 4oz per tank full. I did notice an MPG increase(slight), noticed the engine running quieter and smoother(no, its not a placebo effect).

Fuel only, I wouldn't add it to my oil, smells great though(mmmm minty!!!)

*splashes some around his neck and goes for a night on the town
LOL.gif

Yeah it smells like my Tic-Tacs!
LOL.gif

I have added the standard amount to the fuel for a few tanks and experimented with adding more and less over a couple tanks of fuel and watching the mileage difference recorded on my Scan-Gauge and it doesn't really move much that I couldn't write off as slightly different driving that tank etc.

Now completely without the additive versus with it and there is a 50-75 KM / Tank difference in mileage that I can repeat religiously.

I'm happy with how quiet the engine/injectors are and the response from the acceleration so I think I'm going to stick with it.

I just need to find a Canadian supply or load up when I'm south of the border.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back