MMO in fuel for "new engine break in", help/hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
If you put MMO in your engine during the warranty period of your new car, you have a good chance of having any engine related issue DENIED warranty coverage by the manufacturer.

Can't say you haven't been warned!

DO NOT USE MMO DURING THE TIME YOUR NEW CAR WARRANTY IS IN EFFECT!

Thanks for the heads up, I've been at this game a long time, I have no fears about new car warranties. I know exactly what to do if I have a problem. At the moment I have nothing under a new car warranty anyway. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My owners manual states the NOTHING should be added to the oil or gas-period. I believe the factory.

But the oil, and gas manufactures are adding them behind close doors. That's no difference of what you get off the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
Originally Posted By: Eddie
My owners manual states the NOTHING should be added to the oil or gas-period. I believe the factory.

But the oil, and gas manufactures are adding them behind close doors. That's no difference of what you get off the shelf.

@Junior96Stang: any proofs?

Q.

Being almost 70 - have used MMO for countless years including the first tank of fuel on new vehicles. Have also used in the oil on occasion.

Never any issues. First car was a 1952 Flat Head V-8 Ford.

If you put MMO in your engine during the warranty period of your new car, you have a good chance of having any engine related issue DENIED warranty coverage by the manufacturer.

You think the average tech at any stealership can detect Past MMO use then and POSITIVELY link that to cause/effect deal on a warranty issue????

You watch way too much CSI!!

Originally Posted By: ammolab

You think the average tech at any stealership can detect Past MMO use then and POSITIVELY link that to cause/effect deal on a warranty issue????

You watch way too much CSI!! [/quote]

The dealer might not BUT the manufacturer can and probably WILL !

The bottom line is if you do not use products that meet the specifications and certifications recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and have an issue you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on if they denied warranty coverage. SOL!

That is one expensive risk to take.

Do not use MMO if your vehicle is still covered under a manufacturer new car warranty!

Originally Posted By: ammolab

You watch way too much CSI!!

The dealer might not BUT the manufacturer can and probably WILL !

The bottom line is if you do not use products that meet the specifications and certifications recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and have an issue you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on if they denied warranty coverage. SOL!

That is one expensive risk to take.

Do not use MMO if your vehicle is still covered under a manufacturer new car warranty! [/quote]

I did 21 years as a Ford Tech, if a person comes in with an engine noise or failure, it does get a diagnosis to find the cause, as far as oil adds go, Ford will not spend any money to see what may be in the oil, the only time I ever saw Ford shoot down a warranty claim was for gross negligence, engine was sludged up, lack of oil changes and engine damage from water entry, driving through a flood, water ingested into air intake, boom.... engine gone.

Originally Posted By: FMC
[

I did 21 years as a Ford Tech, if a person comes in with an engine noise or failure, it does get a diagnosis to find the cause, as far as oil adds go, Ford will not spend any money to see what may be in the oil, the only time I ever saw Ford shoot down a warranty claim was for gross negligence, engine was sludged up, lack of oil changes and engine damage from water entry, driving through a flood, water ingested into air intake, boom.... engine gone.

One persons anecdotal evidence does not mean it doesn't happen.

The fact is that today is a new world in the automotive manufacturing business and every penny counts. I believe that things like this may have been let go a decade ago, but in order to reduce warranty costs you can bet that the manufacturers are clamping down on such things today. They have very strict cost guidelines to meet and being less tolerant of such failures to follow manufacturers guidelines is a great place to reduce costs .

I also have worked at five different dealers with three different manufacturers brands and over the past several years or so I personally have been able to see the stricter policies imposed with warranties even on the customer side.

All I can say is if you don't want a costly warranty denial on your new car ONLY USE products that meet the manufacturer specifications and have certifications to back them up.

One persons anecdotal evidence does not mean it doesn't happen.

21 years with Ford and you consider that anecdotal ?

I also have worked at five different dealers with three different manufacturers brands and over the past several years or so I personally have been able to see the stricter policies imposed with warranties even on the customer side.

Are you saying that you personally SAW dealers sending oil and fuel samples for analysis before doing warranty work?

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs:
Is Using the Dealer a Must?
If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

What is a warranty?

A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

Will using 'aftermarket' parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues
Here's how to get the most out of your vehicle's warranty:

Read your warranty. Often bundled with your owner's manual, the warranty gives a general description and specific details about your coverage. If you have misplaced your owner's manual, look for it online. Check the "Owners" section of your manufacturer's website.
Be aware of your warranty period. If problems arise that are covered under the warranty, get them checked out before the warranty expires.
Service your car at regular intervals. This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.
Keep all service records and receipts, regardless of who performs the service. This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs; it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you did not maintain your vehicle, your claim could be denied.
Complain. If you think a dealer's service advisor denied your warranty claim unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you still aren't satisfied, contact the manufacturer or go to another dealer. You also may wish to file a complaint with your state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, local Better Business Bureau, or the FTC.
For More Information
Visit ftc.gov for free information on buying, financing, leasing, renting and maintaining vehicles.

The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or get free information on consumer issues, visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. Watch a video, How to File a Complaint, at ftc.gov/video to learn more. The FTC enters consumer complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool used by hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

December 2010

Last edited:
You only worked at one Ford store that entire time, right?

I've worked at five stores Honda, Chrysler, GM over the past 20 years . I saw dist service reps taking oil tests on suspect warranty claims at ALL of them more than several times at each store, and those are only the ones I was at work when they happened. And I would agree that before the past five maybe ten years most of the manufacturers were much more lax about enforcing such things, but not anymore in my experience.

Last edited:
Two very large Ford dealers, have been to Ford Motor Co in Dearborn MI several times, met and talked with some of the big guys, along with engineers.

I will agree with all of the car manufactures tightening their belts on warrant costs.

You only worked at one Ford store that entire time, right?

I've worked at five stores Honda, Chrysler, GM over the past 20 years . I saw dist service reps taking oil tests on suspect warranty claims at ALL of them more than several times at each store, and those are only the ones I was at work when they happened. And I would agree that before the past five maybe ten years most of the manufacturers were much more lax about enforcing such things, but not anymore in my experience.

Well...this thread is about MMO in the FUEL at "break in". I did run it in the first tank of fuel, and now I have 36 months of warranty left. I am not loosing any sleep over the manufacture's "oil tests"!

Posts here sometimes tend to grow into different subjects or go off-topic from the original post. No worries.

It will not hurt anything to use MMO in the fuel on your new engine. MMO may not help as much with improved piston ring seal and increased compression on a new engine as it does in older engines but it can help offset the negative effects of ethanol in the fuel, it will lube the fuel pump and injectors and work as a mild fuel injector cleaner. MMO may also help increase your MPG a little and it may smooth out the idle and quiet down the idle a bit.

Personally I see no real need for MMO in the crank case on a brand new engine. It could help with cold starts in winter, though. Unless you say anything about it, I doubt any dealership service guys will go to any great lengths to check your fuel for MMO use. They might check the oil for additives or ask you about it but I think they would only do that in the event of an engine failure.

MMO is a very good product and a beneficial additive. It won't hurt anything to use it in your new car.

To answer your original question, In my opinion, you would be fine to use MMO at the prescribed dose in your new car, all cars with todays fuels would benifit from UCL/Cleaner, that is what MMO has been doing for 78 years.

I don't know of anyone who has been denied a warranty claim due to MMO.

Do you have any examples of this?

Originally Posted By: bigmike

I don't know of anyone who has been denied a warranty claim due to MMO.

Do you have any examples of this?

I don't think they void a warranty claim either, remember this thread is about MMO in the fuel, at a rate of 4 ounces/10 gallons of gas. Would they even look at the gas for a warranty claim? Different fuels come with different additives I think they'd have a heck of a time finding it, let alone looking for it, in the fuel that is. They might check for water, diesel, lead, and proper octane, but..........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back