MMO in fuel for "new engine break in", help/hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
moste likely will not help, but will not do any harm
If it works for you, DO IT
I've been using the stuff since the 70's like Mr Demar

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My owners manual states the NOTHING should be added to the oil or gas-period. I believe the factory.

Why do people insist on swallowing the snake oil poison pill?

Do not use MMO in ANY new car for break in or ever for that matter.

Originally Posted By: steve20
moste likely will not help, but will not do any harm
If it works for you, DO IT
I've been using the stuff since the 70's like Mr Demar

+1 Some people hate it, and never even tried it. The product has been around for 85 years or something like that, I wonder why? I think if it was snake oil people would have caught on by now.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss

Coming from a family that has uesd MMO for years now (many years), I don't believe the above quote for one second. With the drying effects of Ethanol plus all of the detergents in today's fuel, a good UCL definately helps and is needed. Your fuel system (fuel pump, etc.) will thank you for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Honda_Fan

Coming from a family that has uesd MMO for years now (many years), I don't believe the above quote for one second. With the drying effects of Ethanol, a good UCL is definately needed these days. Your fuel system (fuel pump, etc.) will thank you for it.

Bingo!

The practical/rational side of me keeps telling me that millions of cars/trucks have been driven sucessfully without problems for 200k plus miles without ever having anything other than gasoline put in their tanks. I think most people continue to use this stuff based on emotion rather than real results.

I mean, are we suddenly seeing a boatload of fuel pump failures due to the lack of MMO in the fuel? I suspect that's not the case.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Coming from a family that has uesd MMO for years now (many years), I don't believe the above quote for one second. With the drying effects of Ethanol, a good UCL is definately needed these days. Your fuel system (fuel pump, etc.) will thank you for it.

Bingo!

+2

Coming from a family that has uesd MMO for years now (many years), I don't believe the above quote for one second. With the drying effects of Ethanol plus all of the detergents in today's fuel, a good UCL definately helps and is needed. Your fuel system (fuel pump, etc.) will thank you for it.

Do you have any proof MMO improves lubricity in fuel? MMO was shown to actually reduce the lubricity of diesel fuel. I have seen nothing showing MMO improves or reduces the lubricity of gas, but to say one or the other would be pure baseless speculation not factual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Do you have any proof MMO improves lubricity in fuel? MMO was shown to actually reduce the lubricity of diesel fuel. I have seen nothing showing MMO improves or reduces the lubricity of gas, but to say one or the other would be pure baseless speculation not factual.

I guess after searching this site and seeing people claiming small gains in mpg, improved idle, and easier starts, you'd call that noise, placebo, change in driving habits, or B_S. Can you prove otherwise, and that all the members making these claims are liars?

I too am a MMO user, can't say anything bad about it, my father used it his cars for years, I think it's one of the "best bang for your buck" products out there.

I guess after searching this site and seeing people claiming small gains in mpg, improved idle, and easier starts, you'd call that noise, placebo, change in driving habits, or B_S. Can you prove otherwise, and that all the members making these claims are liars?

I have run 3 gallons of MMO through my 2 cars with detailed measurements over the last 2 years and can find no evidence of MMO doing anything harmful or helpful. Just tell me how many more I need to run until I see what everyone else says they are seeing? I do see improvements from other additives, specifically Regane.

Longevity of a product doesn't really mean that much. Duralube anyone? Avblend/Zmax has been around for decades. And a respected member uses it.

And yet, I don't see a great many jumping on that bandwagon.

I'd rather use TC-W3 in the fuel. And it's cheaper than MMO if you get the Supertech.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc

I have run 3 gallons of MMO through my 2 cars with detailed measurements over the last 2 years and can find no evidence of MMO doing anything harmful or helpful. Just tell me how many more I need to run until I see what everyone else says they are seeing? I do see improvements from other additives, specifically Regane.

Sorry it didn't work for you. Why not ask all the people in this thread why they use it, and what it has done for them. I understand your position with the MMO competition, but you can't argue with all the people on this site that had positive results. There sure are a lot of us.

It's possible you have cars in perfect condition. In my new Jeep I can't tell one way or the other if MMO is in the gas. Based on pulling heads with engines treated with MMO in the gas, I'm sticking with it. In the 200K Aerostar if I miss a few doses of MMO in the gas I can feel the idle quality gets a little worse.

Based on pulling heads with engines treated with MMO in the gas, I'm sticking with it. In the 200K Aerostar if I miss a few doses of MMO in the gas I can feel the idle quality gets a little worse.

I have been using MMO for about the last two years now. My truck runs great with it, but about a month ago I tried a little experiment. I filled up at the local Marathon station and did not add any MMO to my tank. I just wanted to see if there was any noticeable difference without MMO in my gas. I had problems with that gas. My truck had a rough idle, less power and generally ran like a sick chicken. I ran out about 8 or 9 gallons and it didn't get any better. I added 6 ounces of MMO and topped the tank off with 7-11 gas, and I also put about 3/4 of a pint of MMO (it was all I had left at the time) in my oil. I drove about ten miles and my truck returned to its old self. It started idling like it normally does and the power/get up and go/butt dyno was back to normal too.

I have no idea if I got some bad gas from Marathon or if the absence of MMO or a combination of the two caused the problems I had with the initial fill-up. I have read here about others who had problems with Marathon gas. I do know that my truck ran horribly without MMO. I can tell a definite difference in the way my truck runs and idles when I use MMO in the fuel. Like Damarpaint and countless others, I am sticking with MMO and will not skip adding it to my fuel again. I don't always add it to my oil, usually if I do that it is in the colder months for a bit of cleaning and to help with cold starts, but it does not get very cold here in central Florida.

One thing I have noticed is no matter what MMO users might say about their own positive experiences with MMO, there are always those who just will not change their viewpoint that they believe MMO has no beneficial effects and they want definitive proof or else it is just some kind of snake oil. I guess that is OK, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I gave up trying to convince anyone about MMO long ago. I know it works great for me and that is why I use it. My only complaint is I wish I had discovered MMO much sooner.

When people here have questions about MMO I will sometimes post my experience with it, but I try to do that as merely a response to their question, not as a means to convince them to start using MMO. I have not replied to many MMO posts in a while because to be honest I got tired of the MMO bashing. It really is a two way street, there are products that others here use that I will not use at all, and I am set in my ways too. Like synthetic oil, for instance. I have never used any syn oil and am not about to start now. Good ole Quaker State 10W30 has a great add pack, it works great for me, it's not very expensive and my truck runs great on it.

I find replying in these threads entertaining. Honestly I really don't care who uses it, or who likes or dislikes it. It is clear there are certain haters with an agenda, and that's fine too. Maybe its their agenda that keeps me posting, or that I just enjoy being on this forum. It really is hard to argue with all these people who've had some positive results with the product. As long as the comments remain civil and there's no name calling its all good!

Jimmy, you're buying your gas at Marathon and 7-11 and you wonder why your rig runs poorly?
33.gif

Try a tank or two of High-test Chevron and see if that helps.

Frank, not hating anybody, just trying to think objectively.

There are no Chevron stations here any more. They are all out of business or have been closed down. There used to be a Chevron all the way at the end of town but I don't go over that way very much so I have no idea if they are still in business. Even if they were in business I would never buy from them anyway. It is/was one of those stations that advertises a low price on the sign by the street and when you get to the pump they have a small handwritten sign that says they charge a higher price if you are not paying cash or using a Chevron credit card. No thanks. I consider that to be false advertising and a dirty business tactic to make a few extra bucks off of unsuspecting customers.

We do have a couple of Shell stations about ten miles from here and there is an independent mom and pop Sunoco a few blocks from my house. You don't see many people buying gas at that Sunoco. They only have four pumps and don't move enough gas through that station for me to feel comfortable buying gas there. Other than that the only fuel choices here are 7-11, Hess and Race Trac. There is one Cumberland Farms station, I don't buy gas there. I do not use Hess gas either, I have read and heard about way too many bad experiences with Hess. Race Trac may or may not be OK but I don't use it.

The 7-11 where I buy gas is just around the corner from my house. There are a lot of cars in and out of there buying gas all day long, they sell a ton of gas at that station so I can count on their gas always being fresh and clean. The local Sheriff and Police cars get their gas there and 7-11 usually has the better price around here too. 7-11 has their own proprietary blend of gas and I believe it has less ethanol than Shell. I did some testing of my own last year and while my truck runs very well on Shell or 7-11, it feels like and runs like it has just a little more power on 7-11 gas. That is why I think maybe 7-11 has less ethanol, but I am not a scientist or a chemist so I have no way to find out for sure. From what I read online, 7-11 came up with their own blend of gas after they stopped doing business with Citgo and Hugo Chavez. I also read that 7-11 does not buy or refine any oil from the Middle East or South America. I don't know how much truth there is in that but if it is really so then that is one more very good reason for buying at 7-11.

About a year ago nearly all of the Citgo stations here were converted over to Marathon. I was glad to see that happen. I read up on Marathon and decided to try it out. I only used a few tanks of it, but after that last tank of Marathon I will not buy it again. I get good power and MPG out of 7-11. Locally, if there is no 7-11 available I will buy Shell. When I travel I buy Chevron or Quick Trip, both are top-tier good quality gas.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Frank, not hating anybody, just trying to think objectively.

Don I wasn't referring to you! Sorry if it came across that way.

Frank

If you put MMO in your engine during the warranty period of your new car, you have a good chance of having any engine related issue DENIED warranty coverage by the manufacturer.

Can't say you haven't been warned!

DO NOT USE MMO DURING THE TIME YOUR NEW CAR WARRANTY IS IN EFFECT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back