MMO - I Almost Hate To Admit it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Tried my fuel pump experiment again. After 1 tank with NO MMO fuel pump whine was back. When I refilled again I used 12oz and whine was gone in 2 min. I can hardly believe it!

thumbsup2.gif
Now, that's the way to do experiments!!!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Tried my fuel pump experiment again. After 1 tank with NO MMO fuel pump whine was back. When I refilled again I used 12oz and whine was gone in 2 min. I can hardly believe it!

thumbsup2.gif
Now, that's the way to do experiments!!!

Maybe the MMO lubed the fuel pump. JMO

The pump started making noise at 110,000 miles. As fas as I can tell the fuel filter was not changed until 85k. That may have put strain on the fuel pump.

That is one of the advantages to adding TCW3 or MMO to the gas, vs the inverse oiler I have. The Inverse Oiler is more precise in measuring the amount of MMO introduced into the cylinders. Since it is fed via the PCV vacuum line it doesn't get to work on the fuel pumps, float, or injectors. I switched all my vehicles to mixing MMO into the gas now vs. two getting MMO mixed in the gas, and one with the Inverse Oiler.

The pump started making noise at 110,000 miles. As fas as I can tell the fuel filter was not changed until 85k. That may have put strain on the fuel pump.

I always change my Fuel Filter once a year on my El Camino that is carburated.

My Marauder calls for a fuel filter change at 25,000 miles. I changed mine when the car hit 18,000 miles. I am now at 35,000 miles and I plan on changing it at 50,000 miles.

I am not sure if using a good fuel injection cleaner once a year with a maintenance dose of MMO at every fillup would allow me to go longer with the fuel filter but I am not going to take any chances. I do not want any dirt or junk getting into the fuel injectors or carburetor. I feel that changing the fuel filter more often is cheap insurance.

Modern huge fuel filters last a long while.
Sometimes cruddy fuel will cause a problem, or puked pump parts that got shoved up there.
They work well until they get plugged enough to slow fuel flow.
But I don't think they will pass crud as they get plugged up over time.

I am still new to this forum and I feel like I have discovered a whole new world of stuff that I knew little about before.

Until a week ago, I did not even know mmo existed - now I am seriously contemplating trying it in my Astro van (315,000 km) and 1977 chevy rv with 350 engine (78,000 km).

Guess those will be my guinea pigs before I risk it on my Honda Accord, and Honda outboard engine.

Is mmo even available in Canada? Regardless, I will buy some on my next trip across the border.

Last edited:
I purchased a Jeep with 123k on it. The oil looked like [censored] when i bought it, so i A-RXed it yadda yadda and now am running a quart of mmo in it. I have been using it in the gas for about 4 months now, it starts like it is brand new now. The engine sounds alittle tickier but i am optimistic :)

Originally Posted By: sr17
I am still new to this forum and I feel like I have discovered a whole new world of stuff that I knew little about before.

Until a week ago, I did not even know mmo existed - now I am seriously contemplating trying it in my Astro van (315,000 km) and 1977 chevy rv with 350 engine (78,000 km).

Guess those will be my guinea pigs before I risk it on my Honda Accord, and Honda outboard engine.

Is mmo even available in Canada? Regardless, I will buy some on my next trip across the border.

Welcome to the dark side! Go forth and begin building your stash....

Originally Posted By: axjohn
Originally Posted By: sr17

Welcome to the dark side! Go forth and begin building your stash....

Guess I will pick up a gallon for a start
48.gif

Any advice on mmo to oil and mmo to fuel ratio to start with on those two particular vehicles. The Astro runs great with no known issues. The rv is older than the hills and is a beast to start, but pulls strongly after it roars to life.

The Astro has fresh oil in it, so I guess I will have to start by adding to the fuel only on that one. The RV oil needs to be replaced, so maybe I should add some mmo with the fresh oil going in.

Since we are at it - what kind of oil should it put in that old 350? this will be the first oil change I do on it since I purchased it this past summer.

I realize that this is not the right tread for the oil question in my post above - I don't seem to be able to edit, so please just disregard. Apologize!

Any tips on the use of mmo are still greatly appreciated!

Change the oil, substitue a quart of mmo for the oil. If severly neglected change out at 3000 miles, then use your regular interval.

MMO drops the oil a grade, good for the winter, but you might want to just use mmo 500 miles before your oil change in the summer. I personally use lube control during the summer, its just easier.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I wonder if they sold it for $30 a qt internet or mail order only if more people here would try it?
I don't know
wink.gif
But I do think the MMO-bandwagon is having an effect on the sales haha.

The price seems to be "creeping up" in my area.....it's like 3.97 at my local WM for the quart.....

I just wish I could get it reasonable (under $20/gallon) locally in the gallon jugs.....closest WM that sells the jugs is 1 hour away, about 40-50 miles....that's a good trip, just for some MMO :p

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I wonder if they sold it for $30 a qt internet or mail order only if more people here would try it?
I don't know
wink.gif
But I do think the MMO-bandwagon is having an effect on the sales haha.

The price seems to be "creeping up" in my area.....it's like 3.97 at my local WM for the quart.....

I just wish I could get it reasonable (under $20/gallon) locally in the gallon jugs.....closest WM that sells the jugs is 1 hour away, about 40-50 miles....that's a good trip, just for some MMO :p

MMO and Kreen have really taken off here. MMO a $4 a qt is still a bargain. Kreen is more costly but has proven itself to be extremely effective, and worth the extra cash if the engine is really loaded with sludge and garbage. JMO

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But on a whim, I sucked out a bit of oil and added 1/2 qt of MMO to my crankcase.
What the heck, it may help with unseen ring area cleaning.

Immediately the car idled better and seemed to have more pep.
This can't be. It just can't. I already had a 5-20 oil in there, not something real thick.

I don't normally recommend MMO in the oil, but now what?

Now it's time to pull the plugs and do a weekend piston soak.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But on a whim, I sucked out a bit of oil and added 1/2 qt of MMO to my crankcase.
What the heck, it may help with unseen ring area cleaning.

Immediately the car idled better and seemed to have more pep.
This can't be. It just can't. I already had a 5-20 oil in there, not something real thick.

I don't normally recommend MMO in the oil, but now what?

Now it's time to pull the plugs and do a weekend piston soak.

Welcome aboard guys!

Nice report mechtech2! I look at it as a very effective tool. It can be added to oil for a problem, or once in a while as a dose of PM. IMO there is nothing wrong with that!

What with respect to lubrication and fuel has not dramatically improved in the past say 30 years? SAE does not have much left of the alphabet to use for its grades, and fuel has many additives (Chevron fuel uses Techron). So why would one think that someone like MMO that has been around for decades could help today's modern oil/fuel/engine?

Just say no. Let it collect dust on the Walmart shelf.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So why would one think that someone like MMO that has been around for decades could help today's modern oil/fuel/engine?

Maybe because although the oil may have changed, the physics of friction and lubrication have not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back