MMO and switching to a synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 1994 mazda protege 1.8 SOHC with 125k on the clock. As far as I know the car has never had synthetic oil in it. It has had 3-4k oil changes where ever was cheapest for its life. So upon acquiring this car i want to run MMO or something else to try to clean it a little and then run a good synthetic like Penzoil Platnium, Mobil-1, or preferably Castrol Edge. It has 2k on the GTX thats in it now. Should I add the MMO the last 100 or so miles before the change or should i just substitute it for a quart of syn on my next change. and whats a good filter thats pretty cheap. thanks for the info guys.

Add 1/2 quart to your current oil fill and run for 1000 miles, then do an oil change.

All Oil companies state that they do not condone adding oil additives, but some can be beneficial. There are also many on here that will back this since the manufacturer says not too.

IMHO though, substituting 1/2 quart of MMO in each oil change and running your desired OCI is a good practice that I have been doing myself.

MMO has it's fans and detractor's, but I fall into the fan category.

If you have done 3-5k oil changes you should be good to go.
Your relatively short OCI's have kept your engine clean enough.

Dont bother with the MMO, just pour in whatever Synthetic you want and go for it.

If you want to really extend your OCI then go with a quality Napa Gold/Boch/Mobil 1 filter and you are good for at least 10,000 miles.

ok i think ill get some MMO today and top it off. i think im a little low anyways. so which synthetic oil would you guys recommended? M1, penziol, or edge and for what reason? ive heard edge is really good and m1 is the tried and true favorite.

Originally Posted By: Ace_Protege
ok i think ill get some MMO today and top it off. i think im a little low anyways. so which synthetic oil would you guys recommended? M1, penziol, or edge and for what reason? ive heard edge is really good and m1 is the tried and true favorite.

Go ahead and add 16 oz (half quart) as it will not hurt if this overfills the sump a little - you really need this much to get the results you want.

As for the preferred synthetic, let the debate begin. There are many, many good ones depending on what you want - long OCIs, maximum protection, best value, color (ha ha), etc. Any will work with the MMO though.

"Dont bother with the MMO, just pour in whatever Synthetic you want and go for it."

+1. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the MMO? It doesn't sound like your engine has a sludge problem, and any good Syn will clean well enough for the dirt you don't even know is there.

I doubt it will hurt anything. Money down the drain as far as I can see, though.

well i want something thats no more than $34 per 5 quarts(price of edge at walmart) and that protects very well. also, i dont know if this would influence a decision but i redline my car at least once a day.

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
Add 1/2 quart to your current oil fill and run for 1000 miles, then do an oil change.

All Oil companies state that they do not condone adding oil additives, but some can be beneficial. There are also many on here that will back this since the manufacturer says not too.

IMHO though, substituting 1/2 quart of MMO in each oil change and running your desired OCI is a good practice that I have been doing myself.

MMO has it's fans and detractor's, but I fall into the fan category.

I'm with you
thumbsup2.gif
. Every oil company states no additives are needed, and caution against their use. Every additive company states their additives mix with all oils, and recommend their use. It is a matter of personal preference. A lot of people add MMO or A-rX, or #132 to oil with great results. These are just a few of the more popular ones on Bitog, there are others.

IMO you will have no problems using MMO, or any of the others I mentioned.

AD

well i just added 16oz of MMO and 16oz of GTX. (my car burns a little oil, bad valve seals)only time shall tell now.

IMO if you want a good engine cleaning try Rislone. It's a slower working cleaner, can be left in indefinitely and won't clean so fast that it plugs up oil galleries and such.

I've been using it for 30+ years and it works. I don't use it all the time just once in a while maybe 500 miles before an oil change when I have to add anyway.

If I really want a good cleaning such as with a "new" used car that has been neglected I substitute a qt of Rislone for one qt of oil and run it until it's black and nasty and repeat until it's clean and you can read the dipstick through the oil after 500 or so miles.

It works like a charm for me.

Both Mobil1 High Mileage oils in 5W-30 (when available) and 10W-30 as well as Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 claim some ability to clean. If you want to run synthetic, I'd just run those and keep an eye on how dark the oil gets and how fast after you're done with the MMO which you've already added. But if the car has had 3-4K OCIs, I doubt there are much in the way of deposits...

when i change the oil here in a few weeks im going to pull the VC to see just how much if any there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back