MK7 GTI oil filter interval

Hello all,

Coming back to post about a new vehicle is like Christmas. I couldn't find much information aside from the other VW forums I follow for this platform, I currently have a 2017 VW GTI with the Gen3 EA888 engine.

It calls for 5w/40 before VW changed the spec to 0w/20 in the later year models. I believe the oil change interval is 10k miles, I know that most modified GTIs, the owners will change the oil at 5k but leave the filter for the additional 5k before changing the filter out.

This uses a cartridge type filter, just didn't know if I felt comfortable enough leaving it in after changing the oil at 5k miles. Should I just give it a go and run an oil analysis at the of the OCI?

CONGRATUALTIONS!

I don't leave it in and change the filter anytime I perform an oil change (every ~6K),
but I've never seen an EA888 3G filter loaded with debris. So it seems ok to use for
two OCIs. However since filters are cheap enough I don't see a reason doing so. On
a side note, I use to use the OE VW/Audi Mann oil filter.

There really isn’t anything in a standard UOA that’s going to tell you if you should run an oil filter more than one OCI. For what it’s worth on my 2020 Tiguan I change it every time at about 6500 miles and I’ve never seen anything in the pleats nor has it ever looked as though it was anywhere near failure. My dealer charges $12 for the filter and $3.50 for the drain plug so it’s not really a big burden in terms of cost.

Mann filters are cheap, and since the VW filter is a Mann filter, and there are plenty of reputable places to buy them from.

Back