OEM VW Filter 1406mi, Metal Shavings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came off my GTI a little while ago. Wanted to get out the initial break-in gunk. Glad I did, fine metal particles in the filter. Apparently this is common for the new 2.0 TSI's. They're very fine, but there.

20170413_122153_zpsfwma4a7z.jpg

20170413_122137_zpsjfgjbdfb.jpg

20170413_122118_zpsufc9b458.jpg

20170413_122112_zpscpc2fww6.jpg

Replaced with another OEM filter from the dealer along with 6qts of Edge 0w40. I think I'm a fan of early oil changes on a new vehicle now. The oil drained clean, nothing silvery. Will report back at another change at 5,000 miles. Not ripping apart the filter at the moment, if the oil change at 5K still has particles they will go to the dealer for investigation.

BTW, easiest vehicle I've changed oil on so far.

We have a '17 GTI as well. Fantastic little car.

Not sure I'm a fan of the plastic oil sump and drain plug, but oh well.

Just walked out and looked at the filter from my car. The factory fill had 4800 miles on it when I changed it. Filter looked very similar to yours. I would say it's probably ok. Filter did its job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
We have a '17 GTI as well. Fantastic little car.

Not sure I'm a fan of the plastic oil sump and drain plug, but oh well.

You'll learn to love it. Comes off with a flathead screwdriver, and impossible to overtighten. Used a Lisle filter tool that's for the GM Ecotecs. Torque to 20 ft lbs and you're set.

If you're not extracting the oil, you dont know how truly simple the OC is!
smile.gif
I have a 1.8 in my vehicle and will be changing early as well. This post sealed the deal for me.

Those particles are trapped in the filter and no longer circulating in the system , it would have been fine to run the oil to normal oil change interval.

Hmm, I was going to wait until 5k for my first change. Maybe I should do it sooner just to see? On a mini with the same style filter since new i've never seen anything like that.

I am a big proponent of early oil changes on new cars. I do mine at the 1000 mile mark. Something to ponder, no filter is 100% efficient in removing particulates. Even at 90% efficiency, you have 10% left to circulate.

It has been mentioned before but oil is cheap, engines are not.

Enjoy your new VW.

This is the first time I've changed the oil and filter out early on a new vehicle, but since 600 miles its been driven hard, like a GTI should. I don't know what the factory fill was, but I feel better with the Edge 0w40 in there. Not really concerned about the particles; seems to be the norm for these motors new.

Here's the plastic drain plug for inquiring minds.

20170413_151624_zpsfcanqbnw.jpg

20170413_151633_zpshln1mdjp.jpg

Interesting indeed. One would think years of use and heat cycles could lead to catastrophic results due to a very inexpensive part, but I am sure they tested the snot out of it before putting it into production.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Interesting indeed. One would think years of use and heat cycles could lead to catastrophic results due to a very inexpensive part, but I am sure they tested the snot out of it before putting it into production.

I believe if you "go by the book" the drain plug is supposed to be replaced at each 10k mile OCI at a cost of $4.95.

On my 1.8 TSI, I did the first OCI at 5400 mi via an extractor. Did the next around 13k via the drain plug, and just did my third at 20k via extractor.
I will now stick to a nice, even 10k mi OCI at 30k, 40k, ...

An extractor gets out plenty of oil on these engines. No plans on touching the drain plug again.(especially since I have a full engine shield that would have to be removed. Euro VW parts for better aero)

Originally Posted By: Delta
......if the oil change at 5K still has particles they will go to the dealer for investigation.

I don't have much personal experience of dealers, but from what I hear I'd be surprised if that scenario worked out to your satisfaction.

I'm also in favor of early first oil change. It might be overkill, but it makes me feel better so I do it. On my sister's 1.4 TSI I changed the oil at 5k, then again at 10k. Now it can be done at 10k intervals.

BTW, I haven't look too closely at the factory filter but I believe I would have noticed metal particles if there were any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back