Mixing viscosities and or brands OK or NO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this statement is far too vague, rendering it meaningless. You simply cannot test everything, or even a meaningful sample.
The possible Frankenbrews is endless, which means you could never test every combination and permutation. Not even close.
Old parrafin oil with Amsoil perhaps? In whatever quantities?
Is it 5 qt M1 0w20 plus 1/2 qt M1 5w20 or Valvoline 2.5 qt 0w20 plus 2.5 qt 30w parrafin based?
Overdue for a service oil plus 1 qt new Kirkland? 10 different oils?

In the real world, for 100 years people have been mixing oils. IMO and experience, an underfilled crankcase is a far bigger problem.
Just my 2 cents.
You are correct, why would anyone spend the big $ it would take to test their frankenbrew to make sure there isn't additive clash. It isn't going to happen, period. My point was that you can make sure there is no additive clash by simply not mixing oils.

I guess I was speaking from a business position.

But even for an end user, price is always a factor. If you are trying to manage your costs, changing brands is inevitable in order to keep up with sales.
I don't understand this. Pretty much all off-the-shelf oil is within a few dollars of each other (yes, I know there are exceptions) for a 5-quart container, so how much cost are you managing over the course of a year. If someone is that concerned with $10.00 over the course of a year, then they'd be buying a lower-cost oil to begin with, and there are plenty to choose from: Supertech, Kirkland, some QS varients, Castrol's lower-cost versions, etc. Again, why not pick one and stick with it?

I've mixed different viscosities of the same oil: 0W-20 and 5W-30 M1 EP for example, and may mix 0W-20 and 0W-30 M1 ESP. How might the chemistries react in such cases?

So…”I have read through many threads on this subject. I am still unsure if this is an acceptable practice.”

“MANY THREADS”? And you think just this one more bunch of mental masturbation will clear it all up for ya?

Still “mixed up”?

I have read through many threads on this subject. I am still unsure if this is an acceptable practice. Leaving warranties out of the conversation, is it OK to mix viscosities and or brands of oil.

Example:

Mix Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 with Kirkland Full Synthetic 0W-20.

or

Mix Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic 5W-40 with Kirkland Full Synthetic 5W-30.

I still don't have a clear understanding if it is safe to do so.

Thanks!
Do it.

Mix responsibly.

The couple of bucks you save by buying a different brand is chicken feed. I’ve had good luck by generally sticking with one brand and keeping an eye out for sales, rebates, promotions, etc. That keeps it simple.

So…”I have read through many threads on this subject. I am still unsure if this is an acceptable practice.”

“MANY THREADS”? And you think just this one more bunch of mental masturbation will clear it all up for ya?

Still “mixed up”?
You're right, what was I thinking? This thread still has me just as confused.

It appears the argument against is possible foaming or add packs being non compatible for some reason.

It seems 50/50 on the for or against.

Last edited:
You are correct, why would anyone spend the big $ it would take to test their frankenbrew to make sure there isn't additive clash. It isn't going to happen, period. My point was that you can make sure there is no additive clash by simply not mixing oils.
I guess my point is, there are Frankenbrews and then there are Frankenbrews.

How many engines do you know of that had an engine failure due to a Frankenbrew?
For extra credit: What, specifically, was the mixture? Engine history including services?
Every post I have made in this thread has been technically correct.

You can figure out the rest. I think.

Every post I have made in this thread has been technically correct.

You can figure out the rest. I think.
I never said it wasn't. I am only asking for context.
And no, I can't figure out the rest, because your statement is vague.
Without context, your statement is meaningless.

I doubt it's an issue if using modern correct premium oils. Foaming concerns? They all have anti-foaming agents. I suppose there might be rare chemicals that don't interact but I find that implausible and I've never heard of real examples in modern correct oils.

All brands are in fact mixed daily when folks do oil changes at different shops. Considering ~10-15% of the old oil remains in the engine, if this mixing was a true concern big precautions would be taken. I have never ever seen any precautions taken in any oil change shop.

I doubt purposefully mixing large amounts of different brands and weights is beneficial, and I'd tend to stick to a single brand/weight per change. I do think a single brand/weight is probably "optimal" for a given OCI. But I also doubt mixing is going to be harmful.

I think what I'll do based on the info here and in several threads is I'll get through my remnant oil by adding one quart from another oil type per oil change. Doing so I'll try to keep together as much of like oils as possible.

I run the same brand and grade of oil in everything.
Lawn mower, car, truck, motorcycle, tiller, aerator, no matter.
In my case that's SuperTech 5w-20 Full synthetic

This relieves a lot of stocking issues for me, I only have to stock one brand and grade of oil and I don't have to remember what goes where.
Then I carry a spare quart in the trunk wherever I go, so if it runs low...
Not to mention, so many grades and brands and types, it can be truly difficult to find a quart of oil exact type that I use.
That solves the mixing issues.

That being said, lets just say I'm out someplace and some machine runs low on oil and for some reason I don't have a spare quart...
I would switch brands first, grade next and synth>blend>dyno last but if the grade difference were to be huge...
For example I'm running 5w-20 Full synthetic and all they have is 20w-50 full...
I might go with a quart of 5w-20 blend instead (assuming they have that, of course).

Let's piss off the purist. Lol.
Reasons:
1. Lots of left over oil.
2. Daily beater
3. I'm broke to waste some good oil.

No it didn't grenade. (maybe the vulcan is just bulletproof)
Burn a liter every oil change (7k kms)
Aside from valve cover leak, engine is still quiet as a mouse.

Screenshot_20211216-005337.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For the 834,333rd time it won’t “grenade” and no one says it will. For some unknown reason this topic has a real disconnect between what is said and what is not said.

Perhaps people just can’t understand technical realities and instead revert to grand sweeping emotional interjections to compensate, complete with a desire to “piss off” people in the process.

Back in the day, pre synthetics, there was and likely still is a military spec that
required mixability for oils that they purchase. As most brands, at least US brands,
wanted to sell to the government, they made their products accordingly.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back