Mixing oil additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 days ago I changed oil in my 91 Chevrolet K1500 and used a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I know that the value guides are bad and the Lucas has helped. Today, I heard about LiquiMoly Oil Saver. The videos I watched say it will help with worn valve guides. Can I just add it in with the Lucas?

Otis, Chances are with the mileage on your truck it probably just needs valve guide seals. This should not be a difficult job for competent shop.

The vehicle in question runs and drives good despite the oil consumption. However the body is rough and will probably go before the motor and transmission. Heck, I’ve driven it for 7 years now. The body is a little worse for the wear and the oil burning has gotten a little worse. It has smoked since I got it. It’s probably not worth fixing from a financial standpoint. If I reduce oil consumption with a cheap fix, I’m willing to give that a try. Right now, I use the cheapest API approved oil that I can. Perhaps I should just change the oil in a couple of months and add the LiquiMoly. But if I won’t hurt to mix, I would just add it now.

I seriously doubt mixing the additives would hurt anything but if it were me I'd leave it as is until I found out just how much the Lucus improves oil consumption. In the past when my vehicles start to burn oil I often start adding a bottle of STP or similar product to the 10w40 I normally use. This will usually slow the consumption by around 1/3-1/2.

I wouldn't mix additives. How are you going to know which one helped the most?

Keep the oil topped off. And, when its time for the next oil change, pick a different additive. Plenty to choose from. And, running a thicker oil could help without additives.

I would add it to the existing oil and not drain any existing oil off, the 300ml can is not going to make a difference. Good luck

Old reliable. :LOL:
41EGXTXX9CL.jpg

I seriously doubt mixing the additives would hurt anything but if it were me I'd leave it as is until I found out just how much the Lucus improves oil consumption. In the past when my vehicles start to burn oil I often start adding a bottle of STP or similar product to the 10w40 I normally use. This will usually slow the consumption by around 1/3-1/2.
The Lucas has drastically cut the consumption. Barely any oil loss in six weeks.

That's awesome. Just remember it has also drastically cut your detergents and wear additives drastically too so you might want to shorten your oci interval accordingly
I only put 6k miles per year on this vehicle. I change every six months since the odometer broke.

You are spending significant money on oil additives that probably provide little value. Have you considered just running a little thicker viscosity? I did this years ago in my Mazda pick up that has a similar issue. I could buy several quarts of oil for the price of the additive.

Just my $0.02

This guy claims mixing is the way to go. Different additives, but same principle. I have not tried that particular method, but 99% of all his automotive tips (on various issues, not just oil related) worked for me as well as he said they would, when following his directions.

Or just switch to SuperTech 20W-50 and save money for next truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back