Mixing Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w20 and ESP 0w30

Ran my first UOA with Mobil 1 ESP X2. Like the previous UOA with the VW508 Castrol oil, there is considerable fuel dilution. With the Castrol the viscosity did decrease but actually increased. Perhaps the higher oxidation explains that. The Mobil 1 viscosity dropped a bit as expected with the fuel dilution. Both sample have about 9k miles on them.
Mobil1 ESP X2:
J317THA.png

Castrol VW508:
wRMIGvN.png

I also had a VOA done with a mix of Mobil 1 ESP X2 and ESP 0W30. The ratio is equivalent to adding one quart of the ESP 0W30 to the oil refill. My aim was to increase viscosity with a product that was otherwise the same add pack.

DgDoUsE.png

You will get a tiny increase in viscosity but your oil should still test as VW 508 with the dye marker, which seems to be your goal here so I'd say you have succeeded.

It is much easier to thin an oil than thicken one, if you are going to add a single quart of something thicker you will need something much thicker than a 30 grade to make any kind of real difference. The VW 511 0w40 won't even make much difference as it's a thin 40 and the 30 you added is a thick for grade 30.

Back