Mixing 0w20 with 0w40?

User caterham used to blend m1 euto 0w40 and m1 afe 0w20 for a nice blend.
I tried it and worked good in oil burner k24 honda... ran smoother for sure.
Now that m1 afe 0w30 and m1 esp 0w30 are out kinda pointless to me.
But choose what you like ... doubt your motor will care.

Why did you swap to a colder thermostat?
It's a 2016 RAM 1500 BigHorn V8 5.7 4x4, manufactured in October 2015.

Well, FAC/RAM really messed up the grille shutter programming logic on this truck, at least in this model year. The computer would close the shutters on the highway even during grueling hot summer days, even when towing several thousand pounds, even with TOW/HAUL mode activated. It didn't care. When I saw that, I immediately went to Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. That's a bandaid though, not a solution. When you have coolant and oil temperatures upwards of 250F while towing only 2000~3000lbs, you start thinking how you can keep the engine running reliably long term. People with EcoDiesels from he same same era suffered from the same problems.

Swapping the thermostat wasn't enough, as that only lowered the temperatures 15~20F. The real trick was to delete the grille shutters without the computer knowing so the radiators could get fresh air all the time. Once I did that, all my problems went away. All I have to do now to keep good fuel efficiency is run a 0W-20 or 5W-20, and that's it.

Now when I tow 3000lbs in the summer, I get maybe up to 210F coolant temperature, and 220F if I'm driving in the mountains going up a steep grade. That would be around 270F without this mod, with a similar RAM 1500 truck of the same vintage.

[Edit]

Also, mine didn't have an oil heat exchanger. Actually that one helps warm up the oil in winter, but when you have runaway oil temperatures, it can't really cool anything down.

This is how bad it can get with a 5th gen RAM 1500/Hemi, and these have been updated:

Last edited by a moderator:
You drive it one thousand miles a year and you change the oil yearly . Just do it and sleep well . (y)

Reactions: wlk
My last oil change:

2 qts Pennzoil 5W-20
2 qts QSFS 5W-40
3 qts Valvoline EP 0W-20

I'll let you know when it blows up.

I was wondering about mixing also. Our 2020 Toyota Rav 4 uses 0w16 and, that just seems too thin. I am wondering if it would hurt to add 1 quart of 0w20 to 4 quarts of 0w16 at the next oil change without causing any problems. So, instead of the 5 qts of 0w16, use 4 qts of 0w16 and 1 gt of 0w20. What do you all think? Will this cause any problems?
26, 540 miles on vehicle.

You can do it, is it the best thing to do? No. I save widow and orphan quarts for my lawn mower, as long as it is at least a 30 grade or 40 grade oil, but then again I have no 20 grade or lower grades, or 50 grade or higher grade oils laying around.

Hi, My 14 Silverado 5.3 calls for 8qts for a oil change with filter. The
recommended weight by GM is 0w20. I have a few quarts of 0w40.
Can I safely mix these two weights? Like 6 qts 0w20 to 2 qts 0w40?
I only put on about a 1000 miles a year on this truck,change oil every
year.
Thanks

If 34 oils, of different brands and viscosities, were able to survive together in a supercharged V8 engine for an OCI, then I think you have nothing to worry about with your mix.

I was wondering about mixing also. Our 2020 Toyota Rav 4 uses 0w16 and, that just seems too thin. I am wondering if it would hurt to add 1 quart of 0w20 to 4 quarts of 0w16 at the next oil change without causing any problems. So, instead of the 5 qts of 0w16, use 4 qts of 0w16 and 1 gt of 0w20. What do you all think? Will this cause any problems?
26, 540 miles on vehicle.
What kind of problem? If the oils have an API license then they have passed ASTM D6922 which guarantees they will be miscible. However it does not guarantee that the resulting mixture will meet any of the license, specification or approval requirements of the original oils nor does it necessarily achieve a specific winter rating. But it will not harm the engine.

Oh and no engine is harmed by an oil with a higher HT/HS. Film thickness is what protects an engine.

Back