Mix Redline and PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading about group V benefits and drawbacks. I wondered about mixing Redline and PP in my 1 litre ecoboost. New car, do NOT want to damage the engine.
Thanks in advance for your input.

I think it is "possible" to do w/o harm but why? PS I use both oils but would not mix them just because I mean ght be able to but that's only my opinion.

You can but you won't know how the final product will perform....

http://www.lubricants.total.com/contact-et-faq/faq.html
Can I mix two different types of oil ?

'Lubricants are always optimized to meet the requirements of international classifications (API, ACEA). However, there are many ways of formulating a specific type of lubricant. Mixing two oils that have equivalent properties will not pose a problem, but final performance cannot be guaranteed. All market oils (petrol engine or diesel, mineral or synthetic) are mixable. However, a blending of two oil qualities lower the superior quality.'

Originally Posted By: wobbly1
W New car, do NOT want to damage the engine.

Do you want to maintain warranty? How about running an oil that actually meets the required Ford spec? Does Redline meet it?

One knowledgeable user on bitog said mixing within current synthetics of the same brand is OK. I don't think mixing Redline POE with PPPP GrpIII is the best idea. What would you get? Maybe somebody knows, sounds risky, 2 different basestocks. Its been done though, saw somebody who routinely does it here.

Run one or the other dont waste your time thinking about it. Both are great oils. If you are overthinking this oil thing you obviously need to be running Amsoil SS
wink.gif

Last edited:
Was reading about group V benefits and drawbacks. I wondered about mixing Redline and PP in my 1 litre ecoboost. New car, do NOT want to damage the engine.

Then just put in the proper quantity of the manufacturer's recommended viscosity in the engine with a new filter every change.

Not as though adding a Group V to a Group IV/III synthetic is going to make the car last forever.

Just use the redline. I don't think they'll give you grief over using a 12 dollar per quart oil. And you know darn well it'll be better for that turbo.

Its your machine. Seldom are failures oil related anyway. An oil is not going to prevent a piston from cracking or a rod from snapping.

A dealer in Colorado made me sign an agreement to run straight 30 in my GN. I signed it and went straight home and put m1 15w-50. To heck with them.

The turbo and oil film strength, that's why I was thinking about the mix.

And, attached boy, be your own boss!

I've posted before, 'bout this. I'm a mixer. 3 qts of off the shelf synthetic 5w-30 in winter, 5 or 0 w-40 in summer, 1 qt of (mostly) poe redline 0w-30 and 1 qt of m1 racing (mostly pao) 0w-30. In my hyundai sonata 2.0T di turbo. 50k miles so far, 4.5k oci, filter every time. No issues. I drive it hard is why, figure the better basestocks and heftier addpacks help.

I say mix as you want.

Give it a go then do UOA to see how it performed.

In most applications I think it is the additive package that does the most good not the additive base stock. Just depends on the application.

You could also just try adding 1-2oz. per-quart of Redline Breakin Additive to PP. This will tell you if it is additive package or the G-V base stock doing the heavy lifting.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Definitely yes.

Mixing motor oils is fine.

Whether you need to or not is for you to decide.

It's really not fine and not ideal at all. Compatible yes, ideal no. Especially with an oil like Redline.

Additives designed to be functional at ideal % in the oil, if different oils use different additives then i am not sure it is ideal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back