Mix QSUD with QSUD HM... Smart or dumb?

Trust me your Honda won't know the difference. Your oil monitor can't tell the difference either!
Yessir! I ran that frankenblend (that I described above) for 5k and the engine didn't explode! I am now at about 2.5k on a simpler frankenblend of Pennzoil 0w20 and Magnatec 5w30, and it is still going strong.

I do it all the time. The KIA only uses 3-1/2 quarts. So I always have a leftover half court. Sometimes it goes in the lawn mower, but sometimes I find single quarts cheap, and grab three, then the other half quart is from the last change. Instant frankenbrew!

Never had an issue.

All you're doing is making QSUD medium mileage. :)
Exactly - went to a fancy dinner in Korea - our President was ordering a 2003 wine 🍷 - they ran out and topped up my glass with 2005. Some wine snob said don’t do that - I said chill man, it’s a nice 2004 now 😷

Same oil maybe a teaspoon more of seal conditioner
Is it? I don't know about QS, but I've compared M1 EP and M1 EP HM and there are differences in viscosity and approvals, including Dexos approval. It would seem to this ignorant farm boy that the difference is greater than a teaspoon of seal conditioner. Maybe QS is different but, were I interested in the two QS oils, I'd look into the specs a bit, although perhaps you have and discovered that elusive teaspoon.

In all likelihood, whatever differences there might be are unimportant and minimal, but maybe not.

I agree, the differences are going to be almost negligible. HM oils tend to be thicker and protect better and blast crud out; yet sacrifice fuel efficiency. (Is really negligible to non-existant honestly)

Regular formulations tend to foster fuel efficiency over all else with decent cleaning ability.

Yet if you stick to a similar brand and formulation, and a similar viscosity? There's no loss at all. Mix-mix-mix away. I'd advise that you do change the oil and filter ½ as early as regularly advised if cleaning is your goal as if you're running a severe duty cycle until cleaned up to satisfaction.

Back