Mix QSUD with QSUD HM... Smart or dumb?

My wife just turned 101k miles on her Jeep. I have only used synthetic 5w20's its whole life changing around 7.5k. I have one jug of QSUD 5w20 remaining - I notice the store has QSUD on sale and I thought it might be a good idea to start using a high mileage. I figure I could go 50/50 with my current jug and HM for the next two changes and then use HM after that. The Jeep does not have any leaks or burning oil issues or anything like that but I would rather be proactive about it.

Good idea or stupid?

Good idea, IMO. Coincidentally, I may be doing something similar on my next change, adding a quart or so of HM to the mix. I'd use the same formulation, however, just as you're doing with QSUD I'd do with M1 EP. My Camry has 80K on the clock, no leaks, no oil use to be concerned about ... a little HM couldn't hurt. Looking forward to other responses.

The specs on the 0w20 are pretty crazy, -66 pour point? It's also a little thicker than the 5w20 at 100.

1616708690616.png

1616708743309.png

I've used various mixes of brands, weights, and HM/non-HM over the years with no issues.

In fact, my next OC in the Honda will be a blend of Valvoline, Pennzoil Plat HM, Pennzoil Start/Stop, STP, QSUD, and probably one or two others. This is my "extra" jug that catches the half qt remaining in the jug after dumping 4.5 qts into the sump. After 9 OCs I finally have enough to use it!

I see no issues with that, as others have said. There really isn't any better way of using up "leftovers" short of disposing of them.

Last oil change for '12 Camry was 3.5 quarts Idemitsu 0w20 and 1 quart Mobil 1 EP 0w20 High Mileage. Runs great and quieter than before.

Going to do this 50/50 mix again since I used up the two jugs of QS.

Pretty sure this stuff is probably relabeled Pennzoil black label, it is made by Shell. This stuff is a great price for us Canucks, about $6-10 a jug less than the big names, depending on what you’re comparing to.

Attachments

• 6759AE25-6F2A-41D6-8F55-6E33D190F3C9.jpeg
    6759AE25-6F2A-41D6-8F55-6E33D190F3C9.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 28
I've used various mixes of brands, weights, and HM/non-HM over the years with no issues.

In fact, my next OC in the Honda will be a blend of Valvoline, Pennzoil Plat HM, Pennzoil Start/Stop, STP, QSUD, and probably one or two others. This is my "extra" jug that catches the half qt remaining in the jug after dumping 4.5 qts into the sump. After 9 OCs I finally have enough to use it!
Trust me your Honda won't know the difference. Your oil monitor can't tell the difference either!

Back