Mitsubishi to stop US production, close IL plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bye-bye Dodge oops I mean Mitsubishi... It finally went the way of Isuzu.

That's one less name I will see at the next auto show I go to.

Personally? I will not miss them, and any experience I have with any one of them will be on the used market. And the only one I was interested in was a DSM car, I want to say a Dodge.. Stealth/3000GT, not sure if that was a DSM car.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Hasn't Mitsu been on life support for some time?

The parent company of Mitsubishi sees the car division as the red-headed stepdaughter - in Japan it's common for companies to operate under a common corporate umbrella. MMC has formed alliances with Chrysler, Hyundai and Nissan to varying degrees of success.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Hasn't Mitsu been on life support for some time?

The parent company of Mitsubishi sees the car division as the red-headed stepdaughter - in Japan it's common for companies to operate under a common corporate umbrella. MMC has formed alliances with Chrysler, Hyundai and Nissan to varying degrees of success.

You have to remember that Mitsubishi Motors (an International Corporation) is doing just fine in many other markets, just not here in the USA. The parent company Mitsubishi Corp is a very wealthy company and involved with everything from ship building to planes, and everything in between. The Mitsu Motors in the USA is a matter of pride and thus they are not leaving even if they only sell a tiny number of cars. Suzuki was a totally different story, and a tiny company.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The Mitsu Motors in the USA is a matter of pride and thus they are not leaving even if they only sell a tiny number of cars.

The problem with very low volume is dealer network.

No dealer wants to franchise a brand with few customers, no car buyer want to purchase a car with no dealer around.

Do you want to buy Mitsubishi vehicle if the nearest dealer is 100-200 miles away, if you can buy similar vehicle for similar price and there are several dealers within 10-20 miles ?

There's a dealer nearby (Mitsubishi-Hyundai-Kia, as I recall), and I see plenty of them. I saw probably 5-6 Mirages just TODAY. The Outlanders seem to sell OK.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
There's a dealer nearby (Mitsubishi-Hyundai-Kia, as I recall), and I see plenty of them. I saw probably 5-6 Mirages just TODAY. The Outlanders seem to sell OK.

No Mitsubishi is really selling "ok" relative to its competitors. Its market share has tanked hard in the last decade. It is currently selling less than 1/3 the cars it did back in 2002 when it held around a 2 percent market share here in the USA. Numbers are SLOWLY improving, but it is still the worst performing Japanese brand. Mazda is the next, and it sold about 4x as many cars last year.

Originally Posted By: CKN
The first sentence is not exactly true-

Isuzu trucks celebrate 30 years in the U.S
Link-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Commercial_Truck_of_America,_Inc.

You're confusing Isuzu Commercial Vehicle with Isuzu Motor. They were always separate entities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Bye-bye Dodge oops I mean Mitsubishi... It finally went the way of Isuzu.

That's one less name I will see at the next auto show I go to.

Personally? I will not miss them, and any experience I have with any one of them will be on the used market. And the only one I was interested in was a DSM car, I want to say a Dodge.. Stealth/3000GT, not sure if that was a DSM car.

No, the 3000GT and Stealth were not DSM cars. They were both Japanese-built imports.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
When I was a kid the car to have was a Eclipse or Talon.

All the cool kids had the AWD Turbo Model.

Around here they were driven by 50% high school / college girls and 50% poser idiots.

What can you expect when the Eclipse sold well from 1990-1999, but then was redesigned to be nothing like the older Eclipses.

They used many transmissions that sucked. They are one of the few companies that even had problematic manual transmissions.

If some other company had the same formula as my Mitsubishi, then I probably would have bought that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back