Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 Valve Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has original engine/tranmission with 312,251 miles. Rear valve cover had a bad leak so decided to change them out. Car always has oil changed between 3000-5000 miles with Castrol HM 5w30 and Puraltor filters.

Very good, time to update your signature with the current mileage. About 82k difference.
thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations on your mileage. I have just hit 200,000 miles and hope to be at your mileage in the next 7-10 years.

Do two of your cylinders run excessively hot on the exhaust side? I noticed some discoloration and buildup on the valvetrain in both pictures on the left side of the photos.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Congratulations on your mileage. I have just hit 200,000 miles and hope to be at your mileage in the next 7-10 years.

Do two of your cylinders run excessively hot on the exhaust side? I noticed some discoloration and buildup on the valvetrain in both pictures on the left side of the photos.

Not that I'm aware of. But I know this side of the engine(whats pictured) on this particular motor does run hotter. Could also be because the PCV valve is on that side of the cover. The owner's manual says it requires premium fuel and I can see that relating to the higher temps on this side of the motor. My coolant temps are good while driving idling. There's a lot of research by Tearstone from a while back if you google for it.

Last edited:
Great job! Good to see an oil & filter combination other than the "usual suspects" on these very high mileage posts.

Over 300K on any car is an accomplishment, IMO...Great job.

What kind of A/T maintenance did you do? How many timing belt replacements?

The fact that the filling hole is on the right side can explain why that side is cleaner?

Nonetheless the left side seem to be running hotter. Any valve train noise, like lifter tick??

Wow impressive! Are the new Mitsubishi 3.0L's just as good? Does that engine require premium or regular gas?

Originally Posted By: jceo
Wow impressive! Are the new Mitsubishi 3.0L's just as good? Does that engine require premium or regular gas?

6g72 requires premium. Not too familiar with the newer 6B motors but I read it's very closely based off the 6g72 but without the good ol' iron block but adds variable valve timing.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Over 300K on any car is an accomplishment, IMO...Great job.

What kind of A/T maintenance did you do? How many timing belt replacements?

AT fluid changed every 30k with filter. The past 60,000 miles I switched to Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle and it shifted a lot better afterwards. I purchased the car with 140k miles in 2009 and have three full timing belt jobs done. Four if you want to count the one time the rear cam seal blew out about 10k miles after the 2nd timing job. Ended up replacing cam/crank seals and threw on a new Mitsuboshi belt. For the past week I've got a full Aisin kit in there now.

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
The fact that the filling hole is on the right side can explain why that side is cleaner?

Nonetheless the left side seem to be running hotter. Any valve train noise, like lifter tick??

Lifter tick when cold, after a few minutes it's gone. I don't know if the filling hole would really have anything to do with that side being cleaner. As far as the left side running hotter, that entire side of this particular motor does runner hotter than the rear, one of the reasons for the premium fuel requirement. I don't have overheating issues that's for sure.

Last edited:
I thought lifter tick was only when hot, and if it ticks when cold then perhaps that is piston slap that ends up going away once heat expands it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back