Minimum Aluminum Thickness Needed?

I wanted to get some thoughts about steel versus aluminum and the required thickness to be adequate. I picked up a mount from one of the Jeep forums that I am on to carry a Fuelpax tank (3.5 Gallon FuelpaX (rotopax.com) when off-roading.

The plate is 3/8” thick steel and it is 14” long at the longest point and 10” wide at the widest point. It is a good design and the creator used what materials he had laying around, but steel is too heavy and is not necessary for structural stability in this application.

I am waffling between 1/2” and 5/8” thick T6061 aluminum to replace the steel with all other dimensions remaining close to the same. I read that aluminum needs to be about 1.5x thicker than the steel that it replaces, but I am also wondering if the 3/8" steel was too much from the start . I may reduce the width of teardrop base as it also does not serve any purpose by being that wide. Given that 3.5 gallons of gasoline x 6.3 pounds per gallon is about 22 pounds and the tank adds 4.7 pounds to make it a total of 27 pounds.

Since the unsupported part of the plate is about 4.5” center to center from the two lug nut bolts to the center of the Rotopax clamp (note the tank will ride above the centerline of the tire), what are your thoughts on what thickness is needed to prevent flexing? Is 5/8” needed or is 1/2” T6061 good enough? Could I replace it 1:1 and use 3/8” T6061?

There is not a lot of force on the plate itself, but there would be bouncing and potentially some flexing if the plate is too thin as the Jeep moves down the trails.

Please give me your thoughts.

@ABN_CBT_ENGR @OVERKILL @ZeeOSix

K8Wk2s.jpg

KtNKV2.jpg

KtNfPS.jpg

KtNFol.jpg

Last edited:
Why is the steel plate too heavy?

What, maybe 5 lbs. difference in a 5,000 lb. vehicle?

I would refinsish the steel plate and carry on - if it was my Jeep.

Why is the steel plate too heavy?

What, maybe 5 lbs. difference in a 5,000 lb. vehicle?

I would refinsish the steel plate and carry on - if it was my Jeep.
It is the overall weight on the tailgate that I am trying to limit and steel rusts (even with refinishing). I added the tailgate reinforcement and tire relocation to stiffen the tailgate for the 35" tires, but I want to be mindful of the weight that I am adding on top of that.

I guess I am not understanding what the issue would be. Worse case, the gas can would fall off if the aluminum plate failed.
Is what you have going to be hard to remove … ?
If not Ospho, primer, 2x top coat … take off and top coat every year or two …

Is what you have going to be hard to remove … ?
If not Ospho, primer, 2x top coat … take off and top coat every year or two …
I could have it bead blasted and powder coated, but aluminum makes more sense given where it is and what it is doing.

That thick of steel won't rust through or fail for a LONG time! Unless you don't like the looks of it I'd leave it...or use the Al piece. I wouldn't put too much thought into it personally.

Drill a bunch of lightening holes and have it powder coated. They can even match your Jeeps paint.
I grabbed a piece of T6061 in 5/8" thickness so that I can do what you suggest with the aluminum to make it even lighter.

I grabbed a piece of T6061 in 5/8" thickness so that I can do what you suggest with the aluminum to make it even lighter.
There you go. Just remembe aluminum doesn't have the same sping memory as steel. I would also get stainless steel fasteners (McMaster Carr has a great selection). You can get the mount anodised or powder coated to match for the bling too.

There you go. Just remembe aluminum doesn't have the same sping memory as steel. I would also get stainless steel fasteners (McMaster Carr has a great selection). You can get the mount anodised or powder coated to match for the bling too.
Yep; but at the same time 5/8" thick T6061 should be more than enough to hold 27ish pounds. Not to mention that the "free span" between the anchor and the centerline of the FuelPax mount is 4.5". In theory, the 5/8" T6061 should have the same bend tolerance as 3/8" mild steel.

I plan to swap all fasteners to 316SS and will likely have it powder coated black or maybe red to match the accent trim on the Grinch.

Back