Mini cooper S - Euro Oil required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Awesome cherry Mini! (Does somebody already have dibs on the vanity plate "Mini Me" ? Probably, dad gum it.)

Any name-brand full-synthetic that says VW 502 or 504 on it will work great. Those are very tough performance standards. (HTHS around 3.5-ish). First I'd restore the rings to look great like the visible parts of the car though:

After time and miles, the ring area needs carbon-cleaning with JAG's & Lignums's special oil --->
https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/valvoline-877377/premium-blue-restore-10w30-gallon-p-vvl-877377
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...re-considering-a-thicker-oil#Post5099862
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...xg3506-valvoline-blue-restore-1000-miles
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...arbon-cleaning-valvoline-premium-restore

Originally Posted by MCompact
You want LL-01 approval- if you don't want to use the proper oil don't buy the car.
No, any full syn with HTHS 3.2 to 3.9 would be great in that engine. I do tend to like the biggest pile of engine performance tests though, and VW 502 or 504 is about the best in this category. Another great, tough oil, in this category is Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30 which can be ordered for pickup at any Walmart.

Thank you for the thought filled reply and great information, I really appreciate it. Im going to review the threads you linked me - It definately has some varnish on the dipstick and Im sure I will eventually get around to removing the valve cover.

Heres the plate it has right now:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ad244

Relax Kentucky. Its an old rating and im here to learn.

Like how to spell "Castrol"?

BMW Longlife-01 is not an old rating. It is a current approval and has been updated several times since 2001. BMW approvals can change without the number also changing.

[censored], this is the last time I come into the Euro oil zone....

Anyhow, I changed the oil this evening and used some Casteroil Edge 5W-40. Sounds super smooth, major difference since I dont know how long the old fill was in there for. Thank you for the helpful comments.

Last edited:

Anyhow, I changed the oil this evening and used some Casteroil Edge 5W-40. Sounds super smooth, major difference since I dont know how long the old fill was in there for. Thank you for the helpful comments.

Don't take it personally.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
BMW Longlife-01 is not an old rating. It is a current approval and has been updated several times since 2001. BMW approvals can change without the number also changing.

The only difference between BMW TPT 5W-30 and Mini Synthetic 5W-30 is the bottle; it retains LL-01 certification. I use my BMW CCA discount and the TPT oil ends up costing little more than any other equivalent oil.

Thank you for the thought filled reply and great information, I really appreciate it. Im going to review the threads you linked me - It definately has some varnish on the dipstick and Im sure I will eventually get around to removing the valve cover.
Heres the plate it has right now:
[Linked Image]

Sweet color on that one. Wish I could find a mint Mini like that. I'm having fun enough playing with the torque & handling as it is on my '16 Focus EV, yet a Mini would be incredible.

There was thread a while back where this model was suggested as a great SCCA-autocross event car. If one does that, or is concerned about L-avoidance maneuvers on the road, make sure you have less-sticky tires to avoid roll-over, like all-season tires for example, not summer tires. "As I watched one particular pairing of cars leave the line, I noticed that one of the cars, a Mini Cooper S, was getting up on two wheels in the first 3-cone slalom. As the car rocked back and forth from the left two wheels to the right and then back to the left, the front left wheel bent and caught the cement, tripping the car and causing it to flip forward. It bounced off of its roof, and ended up landing on its wheels, facing back toward the starting line." -- https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/07/barks-bites-fist-rollover-risk-people-dont-want-know/

The BMW E36/5 can also roll if fitted with track rubber and the base suspension- especially if it has a hole in the roof. Which is why mine has the M Technic suspension and a slick top.

Don't worry, no matter what you choose, someone will find fault with it.

Sounds like you're happy with it. That's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back