Milwaukee M12

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I recommend the Brushless FUEL models!

The fuel ratchets are much bulkier than regular m12 ratchet.. some prefer non-fuel... since you can just use it like a ratchet with your arm and then it doesnt matter if the ratchet will do 30ft-lb or 50ft-lb.

The fuel stubby impact is really nice.

Surprisingly I really like the m12 vac.

That is surprising - the M12 vac is a dud. I'd recommend people avoid it, or at the very least adjust your expectations and don't judge the entire M12 line on the vac.

Also most of the line does better on the latest batteries. Try for compact 3.0s (the XC form factor in a 3.0 is WAY WAY obsolete) and XC 6.0s

Would you care to elaborate? What makes the Compact 3.0Ah better the the XC 3.0Ah besides the physical size? I like for my impacts to stand vertical....So I don't mind the size.

The 6.0Ah batteries are expensive at $100 each.

So far I have.....
2 Compact 3.0Ah
2 XC 3.0Ah
1 XC 4.0Ah
1 Compact 2.0Ah

As an HVAC tech with lots of tool time under my belt, I've gone away from Milwaukee a few times and regretted most of it. I tried Dewalt and wasn't happy, although some of the tools weren't bad. Always go back to Milwaukee. Tried 12V Makita sub compacts and still use them a lot, they are the cat's meow. I also have 12V Milwaukee tools and they are beasts, sawsall, drills, impact drivers etc even have the 12V heated hoodie, I'm on my second one and it's all good. (I had to get a larger size!). My main tools are M18 tools and they are far better than anything I've ever used, I won't be going back any time soon. The 2753 impact driver is the best one Milwaukee has ever made. I'm not into the super small 2853 as it puts the head too close to the work surface, and the battery sticking out, the 2753 is just what goldielocks ordered, juuuuust right. it will drive ANYtHING and you can dial it down to drive sheetmetal screws in 18 ga ductwork without stripping, pretty cool. i've had one problem in all the years and Milwaukee service took care of it fast, so if you're having trouble with your ratchet, give em a call. Also, I've yet to have a battery go bad, I'm using some that are over 8 years old and I may even have a 2008 that are all still in use on a daily basis. They are stored in cold trucks in winter, hot trucks in summer, run completely dead, you get the idea and still keep working.

I have and love DeWalt 20V. Never had any issues. But the stuff is pretty large. Oh and The Lovely Wife (TLW) just got me the 20VMax grease gun for Christmas. Thing is a monster. Can't wait to hit on some zerks!

For years I had the M12 pipe cutter. That thing is zippy. Then this fall I saw a tool pack offer with tool bag for M12 at HD for a very low price. Definitely the cheaper end tools in the range - drill, driver, ratchet, light, mini-saw. But so small and perfect and under $200. I like them so much, if they poop the bed I will replace with the better brushless M12 tool in the range.

I’d never own a Dewalt unless someone gave it to me. From my experience severely underpowered nothing like the Milwaukee or Earthquake ones.

I’d never own a Dewalt unless someone gave it to me. From my experience severely underpowered nothing like the Milwaukee or Earthquake ones.
Then you would be missing some really GREAT tools. The circular saws are way better for example. But I get it..........DeWalt drivers are WEAK.

For 20V construction tools, DeWalt. For small tools Milwaukee 12V rules.

DeWalt CS just can't be beat. I was sour on Milwaukee for years because a drill dying and zero customer support, but that is a different thread.

Then you would be missing some really GREAT tools. The circular saws are way better for example. But I get it..........DeWalt drivers are WEAK.

DeWalt CS just can't be beat. I was sour on Milwaukee for years because a drill dying and zero customer support, but that is a different thread.
Dang that sucks. Their is an advantage to Dewalt too and that is the that you can go on any Mac truck and get parts or a warranty. For a mechanic I feel Milwaukee is best though.

Do you like those circular saws from them pretty well? My BIL is looking for a circular saw for his house to cut wood and stuff with as they are redoing their house currently and his cheap store brand one sucks.

Do you like those circular saws from them pretty well? My BIL is looking for a circular saw for his house to cut wood and stuff with as they are redoing their house currently and his cheap store brand one sucks.
For a general cordless circular saw, nice and light yet powerful DCS570 7 1/4" Brushless is super handy. I built whole cedar fences and sections of fences with no cords (amazing to a geezer like me :LOL: ). I even ripped fence boards on the lawn. Drill, driver, saw - 3 or 4 batteries and GO!

For small work the DEWALT ATOMIC 20V MAX Circular Saw, 4-1/2-Inch, DCS571 amazingly strong for a mightymite. I crosscut some hard oak flooring in place, plunge cut like a dream. Of course a specialized tool - if the diet is 2X lumber, too small.

Maybe I will try the 6 1/2" offering some day. In between.

Lastly the Flexvolt systems look like absolute beasts.

Last edited:
For a general cordless circular saw, nice and light yet powerful DCS570 7 1/4" Brushless is super handy. I built whole cedar fences and sections of fences with no cords (amazing to a geezer like me :LOL: ). I even ripped fence boards on the lawn. Drill, driver, saw - 3 or 4 batteries and GO!

For small work the DEWALT ATOMIC 20V MAX Circular Saw, 4-1/2-Inch, DCS571 amazingly strong for a mightymite. I crosscut some hard oak flooring in place, plunge cut like a dream. Of course a specialized tool - if the diet is 2X lumber, too small.

Maybe I will try the 6 1/2" offering some day. In between.

Lastly the Flexvolt systems look like absolute beasts.
Great. Thanks.

I have a Milwaukee m12 circular, and a Makita 36V.

The Milwaukee is one of very few tools that I have buyers remorse. It’s a nice tool in hand, but it just doesn’t have the power, even with larger batteries, to do what it is supposed to.

I like the makita because it takes two 18v batteries, not some other special battery. Strong enough for the framing I’ve been doing for months.

I’ve heard plenty good about DeWalt too. I like their ergonomics generally.

I have a Milwaukee m12 circular, and a Makita 36V.

The Milwaukee is one of very few tools that I have buyers remorse. It’s a nice tool in hand, but it just doesn’t have the power, even with larger batteries, to do what it is supposed to.

I like the makita because it takes two 18v batteries, not some other special battery. Strong enough for the framing I’ve been doing for months.

I’ve heard plenty good about DeWalt too. I like their ergonomics generally.
Thanks. Great information. I’ll be sure to tell him. He seems to be a fan of Makita more over Milwaukee power tools anyway.

I have a M18 Milwaukee Fuel Circular Saw......I love it, Though I HATE doing carpentry work! For big projects I have a corded 12" DeWalt compound miter saw. It's all about the right tool for the job!!

I think Makita is top shelf stuff, Better than Milwaukee actually, Milwaukee just has a better range of tools.

I have a M18 Milwaukee Fuel Circular Saw......I love it, Though I HATE doing carpentry work! For big projects I have a corded 12" DeWalt compound miter saw. It's all about the right tool for the job!!

I think Makita is top shelf stuff, Better than Milwaukee actually, Milwaukee just has a better range of tools.
The M18 likely is better/stronger. I have the M12 which is very small. But even given its limited cutting depth and a thin kerf, it can’t cut well.

Love the Milwaukee tools. I have the M12 tools - all of them - and they work flawlessly. I also have their larger 1/2 impact and it beats the snot out of the snap on. The snap on I was lasting 1 yr before troubles....the Milwaukee is 2 yrs old and no issues. I may need a battery soon because it does feel like it's lost some capacity but for what it costs and how it performs - I am sold.

I agree Makita is a cut above but, like you said, the Milwaukee has a large assortment of tools. I hate the name though - can't ever spell it LOL!

Love the Milwaukee tools. I have the M12 tools - all of them - and they work flawlessly. I also have their larger 1/2 impact and it beats the snot out of the snap on. The snap on I was lasting 1 yr before troubles....the Milwaukee is 2 yrs old and no issues. I may need a battery soon because it does feel like it's lost some capacity but for what it costs and how it performs - I am sold.

It's now been over a year since I bought my first M12 tools.....I've had one battery go bad & Milwaukee did replace it, I now have their 90 degree & straight Die Grinders, Hackzall, Drill & a Non-Fuel 3/8" ratchet.

My 14.4v Snap-on ratchets are completely done now & will not be buying anymore, My CT761 is going strong & will likely buy another one when it goes belly up.
The Snap-on 14.4v Flashlight is also a favorite of mine, I bought 2 different M12 flashlights & don't like either one. I DO like the M12 underhood light even though it kills a 6.0Ah in a few hours.

One of my 14.4v batteries has a intermittent open in one bank that causes a 14.4v tool to not work.....But it works in my flashlight just fine because it's actually a 7.2v tool.

The 18v Snap-on line is a joke in my opinion.

All discussions on tools need to to have the caveat on whether or not we are talking about tools for the pro mechanic ( or pro mechanic wannabe) vs weekend shade tree enthusiast. I paid $140 US for a Milwaukee 3/8 drive Impact Wrench with a 3.0 Ah battery. Here is a sheet with Snap-On 3/8 inch Impact Wrenches.

BB716B5E-25D2-49D9-B121-2AC78801F0B8.png

Last edited:
Back