million mile accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't shill, but this guy's is in my backyard, and somehow has managed to avoid rust on a 21 year old car. Watch the (bland) video of him driving it in briny slush!

link

Coolness occurring!

11.gif

If ya want to get decent gas mileage and drive it for a loooong time....it's hard to beat a Honda.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
That, and the generation after, are my favorite Accords ever. So rock solid.

Agree, though I like the mid 80s ones with quad headlights as well. Before they got all bloated, "safe", and Americanized. Japan has a few universal car sizes and I feel (just a hunch) this generation Accord was one of the last to fit a specific mold.

Watch the reflections in the video. No door dings!

That may be my favorite generation also. Someone I worked with while in high school had one of those...it was a coupe EX model. It was a real sharp-looking car. It was a lighter green, had a moonroof and a sublte OE trunk spoiler. Real sharp machine.

I say he waits for the ODO to flip over, rack up like 30,000 miles and sell it as a vintage with 30,000 original miles.... Leave out the 1 mill mark.
grin2.gif

Seems impressive but I'm just as impressed with a 20-30 year old car with 200-300k miles than one driven 60k-100k miles a year on the highway. These million milers are always special cases that don't seem all that documented and who knows what all was really done to the car.

I'm a believer. I've had my 1996 Honda Accord since 4/10 and have put 49,000 miles on it (55,000 when I started...just over 105,000 now). Aside from the routine things I did to the car when I bought it from my cousin (timing belt, fluid flushes, new plugs, wires, brakes, etc.), NOTHING has gone wrong with the car...and it's 16 years old. EVERYTHING works (it's a loaded V6 with leather and moonroof)including the A/C. The car is tight and quiet...will get just under 30 mpg in the summer...needless to say I LOVE this car and intend to run it for a long time. As for the rust issue, I'm in a northern climate and the car is (and has been) subjected to lots of road salt. There is NO rust ANYWHERE on the car. I credit that to the Krown rust treatments the car is receiving (I drive it to Canada) each year (that and a little diligence by my cousin and me). I can't say I'm convinced that Honda's latest models are capable of holding up the way these cars did.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Seems impressive but I'm just as impressed with a 20-30 year old car with 200-300k miles than one driven 60k-100k miles a year on the highway. These million milers are always special cases that don't seem all that documented and who knows what all was really done to the car.

Highway driven anything will outlast something that's driven in the city with stop and go traffic by hundreds of thousands of miles. Semi trucks are a good example. I've seen many with Millions of miles on them. Most have had their engines and tranny's rebuilt 2 or 3 times by then but it's a working truck so it's acceptable.

I'm sure this old man drives the Accord very easy which is another reason why it lasted this long.

This was Honda's BEST body & drivetrain. EVER EVER.

If there is a low mileage one out there, I would buy it in a hot minute. -Well, as long as it was a 5 speed. Shifted with a satisfying click into each gear. Ahhhh

On a side note: That old odemeter should have rolled over to 000,001.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Highway driven anything will outlast something that's driven in the city with stop and go traffic by hundreds of thousands of miles. Semi trucks are a good example. I've seen many with Millions of miles on them. Most have had their engines and tranny's rebuilt 2 or 3 times by then but it's a working truck so it's acceptable.

I'm sure this old man drives the Accord very easy which is another reason why it lasted this long.

Absolutely. I'm more interested in vehicle age than anything. Also Honda and Volvo have "milage club" support groups. I wonder how much support from the automaker these owners get or not. These high milage cars are always special cases. The owner drove 60k+ miles a year on the highway, maintained and repaired the car religiously by owner often with OEM parts. No real proof of milage or service records seem to be given etc. It's more about what an owner can do in a given situation than the car.

I think most 90's cars were more suitable for keeping running indefinitely. Later models are arguably higher quality but more complex and expensive to maintain and repair.

Of course, if you drive in a city, wouldn't it be difficult to put that kind of mileage unless your job happens to be a courier or a cab driver?? To be able to drive 60K miles a year, logistics dictate that if you are commuting, those are going to be all highway miles.

- Vikas

Ours must have been the exception. It had rust in the rear quarters (above where the plastic bumper mounts), in the trunklid and behind the rubber bump strips in the doors. It was a 1990 DX 5-speed.

It was my parents car; they bought it brand new just before their retirement with the expectation it would last them the rest of their lives. Unfortunately by the time it had 60,000 miles it had turned into an oil-burner and a number of electrical and clutch issues cropped up later. They did manage to keep it until 2002 but weren't sorry to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back