million mile accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 03 Accord as a commuter......113K on it now, I have a ways to go lol
smile.gif

Goose

I put on 340,000 miles in 18 years on a 1988 Accord w/2bbl carb & auto trany until the strut towers rotted out from the road salt...I could'a/would'a driven the car forever if I could
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: css9450
Ours must have been the exception. It had rust in the rear quarters (above where the plastic bumper mounts), in the trunklid and behind the rubber bump strips in the doors. It was a 1990 DX 5-speed.

It was my parents car; they bought it brand new just before their retirement with the expectation it would last them the rest of their lives. Unfortunately by the time it had 60,000 miles it had turned into an oil-burner and a number of electrical and clutch issues cropped up later. They did manage to keep it until 2002 but weren't sorry to see it go.

Doesn't surprise me - Hondas have always been overrated...

Originally Posted By: Finn
IIRC he mentioned at some point that the oil he used was his blend which details he for one reason or another did not tell.

It is nice to see that even some modern cars can do impressive miles.

In a YouTube video he mention using Castrol 10-30.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Every car maker has 5-30% of vehicles as duds. Rust is pretty normal after 12 years for ANY 1990 vintage vehicle where salt is used on roads.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I just bought an 03 Accord as a commuter......113K on it now, I have a ways to go lol
smile.gif

Goose

If you can take it
smile.gif
I drove my 95 Civic 225,000 miles and just one day woke up and was sick of it and slapped For Sale on it(sold in one hour).

Accord's at least age better IMHO as the ride/car degrades closer to 200k range vs the 150k in my Civic.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Impressive. More than anything, I'm curious about his rust prevention tricks!

He indicated in the article that he had a couple of quater panel fixes due to rust. So even he couldn't stop endemic rust issues-----The photos/videos are likely after the restoration

Yes but the imports back in the late 80's thru early 90's were really bad rot buckets. Local yard still has old Ford, Mopar and Gm stuff trickling in now and then but you just dont see any old Hondas of that vintage, they cycled thru years back.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Every car maker has 5-30% of vehicles as duds. Rust is pretty normal after 12 years for ANY 1990 vintage vehicle where salt is used on roads.

Originally Posted By: clearanceman
Finally, I don't believe his auto trans hasn't been rebuilt. I can accept that the engine hasn't been rebuilt although I suspect it's had rings. But an auto trans isn't going to last a million miles without an overhaul.

The older Honda has a very firm slam shift between gear for both efficiency and durability reason. I think their reliability went down after they move to a softer shift due to customer preference, and start putting more torque and HP in their engine without upgrading the tranny.

Basically anything before 97 should be very reliable, to a point of indestructible.

There is a brief piece in the new Car & Driver about this 1990 Accord. Lots of things had to be replaced over the course of a million miles, but I find it amazing that the engine did not require even a top-end job. Wonder what kind of oil he used?

The kind of oil is largely irrelevant. The key there is that he changed the oil and filter regularly. Sounds like he's doing all highway miles which are not that hard on it anyways, and it's not like that Honda motor was destroying the oil to begin with.

It says he followed the manual so 10w30 was spec.
It went a million miles in Maine on 30w and not a high VI 20w?
He must have fiddled the clock.
lol.gif

He covered off 95% of the issue with oil and engine longevity. Timely oil changes with spec'd oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back